Quantcast

a different Knee problem

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I recently have been Spinning the last few months and my knees are starting to ache and get this creeky feeling when I extend them. When I hit the trails my knees are fine but they bother me with the Spinning. Does anyone know if I'm using my knees more to Spin because I have virtualy no problem when I'm on the trails?

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Hmm you shouldnt be using your knees more when you spin. Try changing some of your seat adjustments and see how that feels. ALso always make sure your feet are flat on the pedals... never point your toes and really try to concentrate on making full circles with your legs rather then moving in an up and down motion.... I dont know what is causing it but those are just some of my ideas to try.

I am teaching 5 classes a week right now and I hear about knee pain now and then. In my experience changing some of your usual adjustments seems to fix the prob.

Anyway Good Luck and let me know how it goes:D

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I've been making a real effort to press down and keep my feet flat when I'm riding and spinning. Maybe I'm causing the damage while I'm on the trails. I think I have my seat height just right on my mountain bike but I'm not sue about on the spinning bike. Should the seat height be relatively the same? Or higher or lower?
Anyway, thanks.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
It depends.. the spinning bike is pretty different from your mountain bike so you want to set it up for your comfort when youare in class. The seat height should be at about the same level as your hip bone if you stand next to the bike... this of course is not an exact science. play around try a few different heights just make sure you are not extending your legs too far to spin.. that would mean you are too high and if you feel like your knees are hitting your chest you are way too low. Hope that helps a bit.:)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Scotty
I've been making a real effort to press down and keep my feet flat when I'm riding and spinning. Maybe I'm causing the damage while I'm on the trails. I think I have my seat height just right on my mountain bike but I'm not sue about on the spinning bike. Should the seat height be relatively the same? Or higher or lower?
Anyway, thanks.
Our spinning instructor tells us that if we feel a lot of pressure on the bottom of our feet, we are pedaling wrong. She says you should feel the pedal all around your foot, pushing down with one foot, pulling up with the other. Practicing your pedaling one foot at a time helps master this.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
From your description I think my Spinning seat may be a little too high. I think t should be a little lower than on my mountain bike.