Quantcast

A few q's about disc systems.

I'm in the market for a disc set up and I'm looking for a few answers about the following.
The wheel side is sorted out (Hope x/c hubs,6 bolt pattern) and I'm almost sure I'm gonna get Hope Mini's.

1: I've heard a few people mention that the Mini's are prone to squeeeling a lot.Anybody use them? What's your thought's on them?

2: Shimano discs (both Deore and XT).Are they any good? Dont know anybody who uses them so they are a bit of an unknown quantity.

3: What diameter disc should I go for? I weigh 180 lbs and ride quite agressively.Was thinking of 165 front and 145 rear.

Any thoughts/pointers greatly recieved.

Cheers.

I would stay away from the Deore discs, they are pretty weak. I was told (by a Shimano rep)that Shimano did that on purpose, though. Some crap about not wanting people to get hurt.
I've ehard bad things about the XTs, but I know a guy who has had a pair for several months with no problems. I personally like the Avid mechanicals, but my next set will most likely be Hope Minis.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Go with the Hopes!!!! They had issues with the pads, which caused the squeeling. That problem has been solved. The 165mm - 145mm rotor setup should work.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
I say go Hope.. or even Hayes..
I own and have owned Hopes now for two 1/2 years.. The first iteration of the DH4s and the C2s.. Regardless of how Hope say the squealing has been solved, it's half hearted true. Both mine squeal.. even after numerous pad swaps...and perfect Alignment and all. what I found out is that the rotors are prone to glazing. sandpaper does wonders on that problem. Also, one set of C2 is on a bike with a Z1 QR20 fork.. wehn the front brake is applied, especially just lightly for modulation, the caliper howls and rattles.. Point is, the Z1QR20 ain't 'that' stiff. .. But I've learned to live with these noise, squeal... whatever... the performance payoff is phenomenal over my old Hayes...and a brief stint with Shimano XTs...

just my experience..ongoing expeirence
Ozzer

Think I'm gonna go with the Hope Mini's.Only prob is price.If I get them mail order I'll pay £100 per wheel but if I get them localy it's gonna be £120.For that much I can mail order the Enduros.Always wanna stay local with purchases but the money side is a bit tight at the mo'.Have to come to a deal with the lbs I think.
Thanks for your input.

Old_Dude

Monkey
There's an article in Bicycling magazine which you might find helpful -->> December 2001, pages 63-70. I realize all discs arent't the same, however, I've been using them for about a month now & I love mine - even though they're heavier & more expensive, to me, they're worth it.

Happy riding!

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Minis are cool. Lots of power. When I got to ride em (for 30 seconds or so) they squeaked quite a bit, but Brian (Mr. Hope Man) says they solved that. Thus, they are the dog's bollocks!

Deore discs, on the other hand, suck. No power. XTs I can't say.

165/145 is the standard Mini setup, I believe. you're set. If you're really doing a lot of high speed stuff, though, the Minis (with the teeny lil' rotors) will heat up a lot faster, which can cause all of those fun heat-induced things... fade, fluid expansion, etc. Not that it will, but it is possible. If you find that you're turning your Minis orange, move up to bigger rotors... Hope makes brakes with mas grande rotors, as well as everybody else... hayesmaguraavidshimanogrimeca

Originally posted by Revol

1: I've heard a few people mention that the Mini's are prone to squeeeling a lot.Anybody use them? What's your thought's on them?

2: Shimano discs (both Deore and XT).Are they any good? Dont know anybody who uses them so they are a bit of an unknown quantity.

3: What diameter disc should I go for? I weigh 180 lbs and ride quite agressively.Was thinking of 165 front and 145 rear.

Any thoughts/pointers greatly recieved.

Cheers. [/B]