Quantcast

A friend of mine was hit by a car and killed...

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
:stupid:

Bicyclist Deaths in 2010: 618
http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/facts/crash-facts.cfm

Cars killed 24,474 in 2009. 4,462 people died on motorcycles the same year.
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

Preventable medical mistakes and infections are responsible for about 200,000 deaths in the U.S. each year
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=deaths-from-avoidable-medical-error-2009-08-10

Get out and ride your bikes FFS.
Break those numbers down to time spent on the roads. When I was road biking it seemed like for every 10 hours or so I would encounter a clueless/inconsiderate/aggressive driver that would require me to take action as to not get hit. Not that much different from driving a car but the consequenses sure are. Considering virtually all teens (and many adults) are texting while driving and that most drivers see you as a nuisance on "their" roads, the risk is way too high for me to road bike anymore. Cars are way to big and deadly to share the roads with bikes. We need more bike paths and/or separated bike lanes.

exnate

Chimp
Mar 3, 2012
im from new york and notied youre from texas i was just wondering if bye chance we have the same freind because my freind was just killed on a road bike the same day!!he was hit bye a dumb chick on her cell texting.she is getting charged with second degree manslaughter from what were being told.its hard to get details because he was in florida when it happened but he lives in new york.hes a very very wealthy man as well this chick is in deep deep ****,not to mention we lost a fellow comrad on the road 8( he was a great guy he used to own archway cookies and sold out a coupleyears ago to live the good life with his family and gets killed bye a retard on her phone,the sad thing is while it al was happenening his wife had just arrived at the airport and was calling his phone to see were he was!a fireman picked up and gave her the unfortunate news and she is and was unfortunatly crushed.his funeral was actualy today here in new york.is the person youre refering to mike s. and either way im sorry for youre loss bro i unfortunatly know exactly to a to know how u feel i spent all day today at the funeral and aftermess.not a good situation.makes me want to stick to dirt not that thats safe but seems much less room for other human error.just a crapy situation all the way around the board

exnate

Chimp
Mar 3, 2012
im sorry when i first opened the post the pictures didnt come up.its not the same person.my freinds name was mike serventi great guy.very unfortunate situation im sure the girl had no intention of that but comeon!common sense dont ****ing text while driving down the road its like being on a little tiny comuter thats harder to read and type on while driving youre car not a good idea for you or any one else and here is two examples of it to a T.i can see at a stop light whip a quick response to a buddy like be there in ten or some **** but i dont think that was the case in the situation.and i dont feel bad if she does get punished she took my freinds life over a dumb ass text meassage.and like i said hes a very wealthy man so i think shes in ****s creek.they estimated his worth at roughly 110,000,000 so im sure his family is coming with the big dog of a lawyer and shes going away for some time.he has 3 kids as well.****ing cars.bad for enviorment and bikes are way better on gas anyways who in there right mind would drive a car 8) sorry for youre loss im going through the same thing unfortunatly bro good luck and ill pray for his family and our lost comrad tonight best of luck to you in the future