Quantcast

A genuine reloading WTF moment.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I was reloading some .357 wednesday night and found one of the SWC's was a bit malformed. Don't know if it was because I was on my 3rd JD and coke, or if it was a moment of stupidity, but I loaded the shell without gunpowder.

Hold on... slow your roll.

I remember reading something years upon years ago how you can use any starch based combustible powder in place of gun powder; but never tried it. So in place of the gun powder, I put baby powder. Standard small pistol magnum primer, equivalent charge of baby powder as gun powder, seated the bullet, light crimp, followed by a dot of white out on the top of the bullet and on the primer.

Last night, I shot as I normally do, and loaded this "BP" round as my last shot; fully expecting to get a SWC stuck in my barrel. Lo and behold, it shot with the normal recoil and even hit was I was aiming at.... sorta. Was aiming at the bulls eye but hit the 9 ring at 15 yards with a 4 3/4" bbl.

No poof of white powder, just bang, flash, and recoil. Go figure..... :yes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Gunpowder contains a fuel and an oxidizer. Baby powder requires oxygen to burn, there ain't a lot of O2 in the round to do much of anything. Whatever energy probably came from just the primer. The baby powder in the casing would reduce the compressible volume of the cartridge giving the primer energy more of an impulse kick than a push over a longer period of time. So the BP probably helped but doubt it added much energy to the round. It would be interesting to compare with a similar non combustible powder like talc.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I was thinking that as well, but the felt recoil was almost identical to my usual loads. I've had a misload where it was just the primer. Recoil felt like a pellet gun and the bullet got stuck in the barrel. I've also misloaded a .357 with a 1/4 powder charge I use for paper blanks to help train the wifey. The bullet drop at 15 yards is about 8".

Genuine WTF moment.... waiting on GFF to chime in.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Gunpowder contains a fuel and an oxidizer. Baby powder requires oxygen to burn, there ain't a lot of O2 in the round to do much of anything. Whatever energy probably came from just the primer. The baby powder in the casing would reduce the compressible volume of the cartridge giving the primer energy more of an impulse kick than a push over a longer period of time. So the BP probably helped but doubt it added much energy to the round. It would be interesting to compare with a similar non combustible powder like talc.
Yur a smart man Westy. It would have probably taken the Mythbusters a month and $50,000 to figure that out.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've done that. Weird things I've put inside a shell.

- random bugs
- baby powder
- aluminum shavings with gun powder
- copper shavings with gun powder

was drunk once and loaded a live .22lr inside a 44mag..... I didn't die.

why baby powder worked, dunno, but I'm down to shoot point blank into 2x4's with your BP round. See you friday Jonesy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Baby powder, last I looked, is talc, a mineral composed of hydrated magnesium silicate, not "starch based". No stored energy there, and it ain't g'wine burn.

No explanations to offer.
Baby powder these days is mostly corn starch. Puff a little into a candle to see.

Thank you corn lobby!

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I'll fill up the water bottles and round up some boxes. If its ok, can we use your S&W for the test? Your 8"bbl is more awesomer than my measly 4 3/4"bbl.

As far as the brew goes...
Levitation
Oaked Bastard
Smoked Porter

Glad to see you back on RM buddy.