Quantcast

A Google Funny

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Amnesty USA backs off Gitmo as 'gulag' Chicago Sun-Times - 45 minutes ago

Amnesty International refuses to back down from 'gulag' comments - ABC Online

Just thought this was amusing ... from the front page of "bias" Google news. ;)

Edit: I don't think they cache every page, but just to play it safe here it is.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Heh - Here's one I got a while ago:

Seriously though, this whole bias thing is BS. I mean, Google features Redstate.org FFS.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
really chang?

peep: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=usvp+cheney&btnG=Search+News
shows ** exactly ** one headline: "USVP Cheney Says Torture Facility Will Stay Open"

while the link's headline (the actual headline) sez this: "U.S. V.P. Cheney Says Alleged Torture Facility Will Stay Open"

i'm sure it was an arbitrary decision to drop "alleged", eh? you have the perfect right to continue thinking in your vein, but the evidence won't stand for it.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
another jaw-dropper:
Google Censors Ads for Anti-Clinton Book

Google bans previously approved ads for book about the Clintons' abuse of power but leaves anti-Bush ads intact. The CEO's support of Hillary Clinton is questioned as a factor.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) June 13, 2005 -- Popular search engine Google reversed course late last week and banned a previously approved online ad campaign for a new book that documents abuses of power by Bill and Hillary Clinton. The surprise move prompted the book's author and publishing house to publicly question if the politics of Google’s CEO - a financial backer of Hillary Clinton - played a role in this change of course.

“Google's decision to reverse its prior approval and shut down this banner ad campaign reeks of political bias,” charges Candice E. Jackson, the author of “Their Lives: The Women Targeted by the Clinton Machine” (World Ahead Publishing; hardcover: $25.95; ISBN 0974670138). “The company's liberal leanings are pretty widely known, but this example of blatant editorial censorship is still shocking.”

The controversy comes at a time when the search engine giant is facing increasing scrutiny for claims of editorial unfairness by conservative organizations. Last month RightMarch.com, a conservative activist group, went public with claims that Google was rejecting its ads targeting House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi while at the same time running identical ads attacking Republican Leader Tom DeLay.

Representatives for Google - whose corporate motto is “don't be evil” - attempted to defend the surprise ban on the book’s ads by claiming their policies prohibit ads that are against an individual. But while the ads for the book - which featured images of the book's cover and pictures of the former First Couple - were suddenly deemed too offensive, Google happily accepts advertisements with headlines such as "Hate Bush? So Do We," “Bush Belongs Behind Bars,” and "George W. Bush Fart Doll."

<...and on & on>
wow. chang.

f-in wow.

right about now, you should - but won't - go back to every post of "advisement" you drop like a steamy coil to others & do likewise.

clancy was right: you're a groover

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well, it's been a solid hour, so i thought i'd see what else might be out there for google "news" to link to;

like innocuous communist "news" sites; specifically: the revolutionary worker.

here's the masthead from their website:

so, now chang, you're faced with a real scat-eating dilemma:
- ignore this thread
- give your usual one-sided stock response, void of any logical consistency, along the lines of "site X (anti-american) is news, while site Y (pro-bush) isn't news"

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
$tinkle said:
really chang?

peep: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=usvp+cheney&btnG=Search+News
shows ** exactly ** one headline: "USVP Cheney Says Torture Facility Will Stay Open"

while the link's headline (the actual headline) sez this: "U.S. V.P. Cheney Says Alleged Torture Facility Will Stay Open"

i'm sure it was an arbitrary decision to drop "alleged", eh? you have the perfect right to continue thinking in your vein, but the evidence won't stand for it.
Because a person sat there and editted the title that appears on the Google search results? Please. I think you need a tinfoil hat. DO you understand how search engines work?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
$tinkle said:
another jaw-dropper:wow. chang.

f-in wow.

right about now, you should - but won't - go back to every post of "advisement" you drop like a steamy coil to others & do likewise.

clancy was right: you're a groover
So in what way does this affect the fact that Google does feature highly conservative search results? What part of that do you not understand? You claim is that Google News is partisan to the left, but since sites like Redstate and theconservativevoice show up in the top results for some searchs, you're just plain wrong. What does their advertising department have to do with the results on Google News anyway? It's you who is barking up the wrong tree.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
$tinkle said:
well, it's been a solid hour, so i thought i'd see what else might be out there for google "news" to link to;

like innocuous communist "news" sites; specifically: the revolutionary worker.

here's the masthead from their website:

so, now chang, you're faced with a real scat-eating dilemma:
- ignore this thread
- give your usual one-sided stock response, void of any logical consistency, along the lines of "site X (anti-american) is news, while site Y (pro-bush) isn't news"
Yet more proof they are not biased. Left doesn't equal communist you know, although for someone who thinks in black and white I can see how you might get that impression.

Look, the fact is Google features extremely far right sites as much as it features extreme left sites. If they don't happen to be the most read or linked to at the given moment you use the site, that's just because less people are dumb enough to want to read that crap. You argument has not a leg to stand on whilst such sites are featured.

As much as it pains me to say this ,and believe me it hurts more than you'll know, I have to agree with the liberal bigmouth (and I use that term with endearment) there above me. The world is now going to end. My life is over...

Google shows both sides of the coin. The far left and right is shown all over it. CNN is far left and Fox is far right. There is no middle ground with either of them. Google might look like a far left site, but I think if you dig a little deeper you might find things you want to see.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Changleen said:
Because a person sat there and editted the title that appears on the Google search results? Please. I think you need a tinfoil hat. DO you understand how search engines work?
dude, you're officially dumber than mack.

how is it i can edit the results ON YOUR PC?????

anyone who's clicked on the provided link in question - aw hell, here it is again, would realize it's just not possible.

as for understanding how search engines work - gee sheila - maybe you could bless us all with a primer. be sure to start off slow w/ how to stop crawlers w/ meta tags, process ids for spiders, farming, page rank, google bombing, etc. (who's googling now?)

furthermore, this isn't a search engine heuristic ( -2 if you say "algorithm"), but existence in the google directory. even you acknowledged that when you guffawed at some freeper getting booted from their directory (quoting the gent's complaint)

the annenberg foundation has a breathy piece which compares google news & yahoo news as it pertained to the 04 general elections. those results were every bit a "dog bites man" story, but is a good read nonetheless.

clustering is surely one way which google news needs find a better solution, else the side-effect is getting co-opted by bloggers (when included)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OK.

And the nominees are... oh screw that, ther's a clear winner! - Mr. $tinkle - You officially dont get sarcasm! Read Changleen's post again and be sure to look for the sarcasm in the first sentance. Do you get it? Do you see it now? Do ya?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
middle east google map

innocuous at first.
then, zoom in twice.
notice the three new named regions? (lebanon, gaza strip, west bank)
notice what's not named?
zoom in again.
nope, still not there.
zoom in one last time.
ahhh....there it is!

israel!

i'm sure this is just an oversight, i mean, just how significant is israel? they're only one of eight nukular super-powers.

DO you know what else I didnt see labeled? Kosovo and Qatar

Who honestly cares if it has a label. We all know its there and we all know that its a country that doesnt take terrorism lightly. If you want to get nsaty about it, why isnt Kosovo on the map? It was a country that had thousands of people murdered. I didnt see it labeled on the map.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
$tinkle said:
middle east google map

innocuous at first.
then, zoom in twice.
notice the three new named regions? (lebanon, gaza strip, west bank)
notice what's not named?
zoom in again.
nope, still not there.
zoom in one last time.
ahhh....there it is!

israel!

i'm sure this is just an oversight, i mean, just how significant is israel? they're only one of eight nukular super-powers.
Now you are shopping for Aluminium headwear...

Not significant enough for you to spell it with a capital I, you anti-semite.