Quantcast

a mountin biking beginners course

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Ive been consiering offering a beginners mountian biking course in the local parks&rec guide. in your experince are there any issues that I should focus on that a female new to the sport would find important?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Ive been consiering offering a beginners mountian biking course in the local parks&rec guide. in your experince are there any issues that I should focus on that a female new to the sport would find important?

We have a beginner's mtn bike course here in town. I've never taken it, but the people I know only have so they can meet people.

I think you should spend alot of attention on trail-side bike repairs. I'm still suprised at the amount of ladies out there who can't fix a broken chain.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
And change a tire! I still can't, mostly because I always assume I'll ride with my hubby and he'll fix it. This has never forced me to learn it on my own.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Well, it's my own fault and wouldn't you know the one time I rode without him on a women's ride, I did get a flat. It was my brand new bike and I filled the tire with air and it held (thankfully) or else I would have gone home with my tail between my legs. I keep telling him I need him to show me how to do it!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I think that you should definitely cover some basic/trailside repairs like tire changing, chain breaking, and maybe adjusting breaks too. Also, I think a bit about ride position...when to stand/sit, keeping pedals flat, how to get over a log, the whole "look where you want to go, not what you're riding on", etc. I think most beginners (women and men) need the same basic skills.