Quantcast

A new, huge waste of my time....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Growing up Mountainbiker, I always ended up riding road bikes from MTB companies...

Here are the two resto-projects I have been meaning to finish up for the last gee, year or so....

The road project is a '96 (serial R290). I need to straighten and re-machine the hanger for it, pull some dents in the TT, and stick a fresh coat of yellow on the front end.

Parts are pretty nice. I still have a full 8v Dura Ace group for it, and Ringle Stem (ringle quill road stems were so pretty, IMO), Post and hubs for it, all in black instead of turqoise unfortunately..... I think I am likely going to go to downtube shifters on it when I rebuild it, so I can use some more comfortable brake levers than the old DA's. I got this in trade for a new road fork from a friend of mine who is a high-level Snowboard racer... His coach used to work for Bula... It was filthy when it came to me, and had some really crappy parts on it.

This is my '94 Ritchey Road logic, which was my primary ride from '94 until 2000. It probally has a few hundred thousand miles on it by now. Last year I decided it was time for a re-paint and re-build.

It was the classic Ritchey red, and the paint had been holding up well, but I was antsy to get the paint off and inspect a few place on the frame for rust damage... After I got done with blasting it, I found some pinholes in the left Chainstay....

There is a great product called Lab-Metal that I use to patch holes like that when I do frame repairs for people, it is durable enough that I can even re-powder over it....

I have always loved the fit and handling of the Ritchey, even after I started getting road frames for free in my late teens I'd always hurredly rush to get back on my Ritchey, As late as 2004 I was still racing it in early season races...

The Ritchey is going Dark blue (actually called Postal blue in my powder chart) with cream panels off of the late 90's frames. Parts will be most of my old WCS build kit, (cranks, Stem, post, saddle) with newer 26.0 WCS classic bars. This one is actually going to get a 10speed Ultegra build with downtube shifters....

Still, after all these years, the only road frame that I've had that I like more is the one I designed myself.... Of course, it looks absolutely nothing similar, but hmm, the ride qualities? Spot on. And when the frame and fork combo are nearly 5 pounds lighter....

The scary part is, after I'm done with these, I have 4 mountainbikes that need dialing in to the appropriate specs...

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Two of my favorite brands! I know of one other person that has a Road Project. He owns Balance Rock bike and ski in Monument. I was envious when I saw it.

A Swiss cross would be a sweet ride to have too. I think they go for bank on ebay and craigs now days. Too bad they dont make them anymore. :(

I want finished pictures, so hurry up and complete the projects. ;)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Finish? It took me nearly 3 months to take pictures of the Ritchey. There is a jar of lab-metal sitting on my desk. It has dust on it... Oh the bike geek life... See that Truetemper box in the background? It's actually full of the right tubes to build my new townie. I had an 1 1/4 Atac stem and a 1.25 King headset I "needed" to do something with.... So, why not build a frame and fork, around a stem? It's going to be '89 Yeti FRO geometry (basically a beach cruiser by East Coast standards...), built out of TT OXII tubes drawn for the '92 Fisher Supercaliber...

Last edited: