Quantcast

A new shop employee looking for tips...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I was hired recently at a shop that sells mountain bikes, but about 60% of the bike sales are road bikes...trick is, I'm a downhill/freeride guru.

So I need to learn alot about road bikes since I'm part of the sales staff.

Can anyone give me some tips or anything important I might need to know regarding road bikes? Maybe good resources to learn?

thanks!

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Buy a road bike on employee purchase. it will make you a better all around rider too.

Roadies like to talk and think their stuff is the best, don't contradict them. Study up on sizing and fit theories.

Know when to hold 'em and know when to walk away:)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
when someone asks you a question that you can't answer, find an employee who can answer it for you, and listen to them.

Mavic wheels are not a gift from God.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Buy a road bike on employee purchase. it will make you a better all around rider too.
great idea.

when someone asks you a question that you can't answer, find an employee who can answer it for you, and listen to them.
Amen.

First thing I'd suggest is know the component product lines so well you don't have to think about it. I heard an LBS girl say, "Yeah, Tiagra is better than 105." WTF?

Also:
-- the "stand-over" test is dumb. Don't use it.
-- "flip the stem" is dumb. People usually suggest the stem point down or parallel. But what if the right fit is stem-up?
(i think of more later)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
So I was hired recently at a shop that sells mountain bikes, but about 60% of the bike sales are road bikes...trick is, I'm a downhill/freeride guru.

So I need to learn alot about road bikes since I'm part of the sales staff.

Can anyone give me some tips or anything important I might need to know regarding road bikes? Maybe good resources to learn?

thanks!
What Opie said to start with, but i will add a little myself.

When your talking entry line bikes, people tend to think its bottom line. So i suggest that when your working a sale for someone just getting into the sport, use the phrase Entry line when talkingabout your own product, and the phraze Low end when talking about someone else's products. Remember perception is everything, make then feel like they are really getting alot for there money

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
As far as getting a bike goes...cant, I'm only allowed one bike at pro deal a year...and I want an XC bike so I can still ride the mountain AND commute to work...I'm looking at an all carbon specialized epic or all carbon trek with that new linkage.

However...I'll probly bike a road bike later down the road. I'm just going to save a couple months pay for a bike by christmas.

And yeah the measurements and what not are what confuse me...because I have to fit a bike to a customer, and I have no idea how to do that.

As far as components, I have the main idea...but I need to memorize them.

thanks, keep 'em coming!

P.S. Dylan, I love the "freetard" hahaha...stole it from that guy at whistler!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Is your sizing sytem the new computerized, or the oldschool measure and use a book style? Either way, practice, get good at it, and practice more. Sizing is very different withr oad bikes than it is with Mtn.

Anyway why is it you can only get one bike at Pro deal? You should be able to EP them directly from the Manf. Usually at less than wholesale price.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well my shop, since I'm part time when school starts (currently full time) and I'm 16, only allows one purchased bike at pro deal...I believe I can get discounted bikes though. And an XC bike makes more sence then a road bike, since I know I will always like the mountain...and they are still super easy to ride (as far as compared to my 45lb big bike).

And as for sizing, its the old fashion measure style. Our computers suck to say the least, its impossible to find much in the system till you've worked there for months.

For Mtn. bikes I usually make sure its comfortable...road bikes...theres just so much science behind it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah exactly, all you have to do is call up trek/specialized/giant. whoever, tell them your a shop employee, get an EP form, pay them directly, go from there. Wonderfull thing Employee purchase.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Here's a key one... listen to your client.

So many people want RACE bikes cuz that's what you're supposed to ride, but so many people would be better served with a commuter, a hybrid, cx, or touring bike.

IMO, very few people 'need' a race roadie. IMO, touring bikes are the best all around.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Here's a key one... listen to your client.

So many people want RACE bikes cuz that's what you're supposed to ride, but so many people would be better served with a commuter, a hybrid, cx, or touring bike.

IMO, very few people 'need' a race roadie. IMO, touring bikes are the best all around.
Yeah its one of thoughs things were I would just say, "what do you plan to do" and show them bikes from there.

Sometimes people wont listen though, and then you just sell them what they want, but really insist they take a look at what you recommend.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Off the top of my head...

Know your line. Learn it inside and out.

Write down every bike you sell and research it. Read the manuals and the specs sheets on every bike. Read the reviews online. Not just the bikes themselves, but read reviews about the components too. Learn the major differences between the groups so you can easily answer the questions.

Start building. Building the bikes teaches you how each one sets up and you can get a feel for each one when you test ride it to fine tune the build.

Don't assume anything. Road bikes have been around a LONG time and there are a ton of different "standards" when it comes to ordering replacement parts. When in doubt, bust out the calipers and measure it. Three times.

If your shop has a fit expert(s), listen to them. Try not to offer too much fit advise unless you know road bike fitting inside and out. Let the shop expert do the talking so the shop is providing uniform information.

Talk to the mechanics about how they perform standard repairs and adjustments. If a customer brings a bike in they should expect the same level of service from each mech. Again, uniformity is important. This goes for the setup on each new bike too. Each new bike should be setup the same way (at first) to insure that when a customer takes it out it's going to ride and shift perfectly. Smooth bikes sell themselves.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Add to that:

Double check the bikes after they come back from test rides. Customers can and sometimes will re-adjust bikes when they take them out. I even had one guy try to return a test ride with the stock pedals swapped for some complete crap ones.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I use the "look bitch, I'm smarter than you" technique. Man up and try it.
haha I hate it when sales people pull that on me...and they're really not smarter then me.

:rant: Then I just shoot them down with my knowledge

:brows:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
You actually have to be smarter to pull it off. :thumb:
awww...well that makes sence! haha.
I'll just have to get smarter before I start actually selling bikes, ehh? :happydance:

*I think I start tomaro...since its the first day of our sale, a friday, and only one other sales person is working, versus the usuall 3*

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I'll ask several questions and then go from there depending on the answers.

What do you want to do with the bike over the next three years? Short rides? Long rides? Triathlon? Fun and fitness rides?
1. Long rides short rides, triathlon - road bike with drop bars
2. Fun and fitness - perhaps road bike, perhaps hybrid (road frame and wheels with mtn components)

If the customer is looking for a traditional drop-bar road bike:
What other sports do you do? Are you the competitive type? Do you like to sprint? or do you prefer a longer relaxed ride?
If a competitive sprinter type, customer will most likely prefer something with a shorter wheelbase and headtube that will be more agile and responsive (like a Tarmac/Allez or Madone or Giant TCR).
If customer is more of a distance person, he will most likely prefer something with a longer wheelbase and taller headtube (like a Roubaix/ Sequoia / Pilot / OCR).

Bike geometry can be likened unto skis or surfboards: the longer the board (or wheelbase, in this case), the more stable you are. The shorter the board, the more tricked out you are. If you're looking for agility, a shorter wheelbase and headtube will provide that. But if you're a distance guy, it will fatigue you faster and not be as stable over longer distances (just like a short board will be more exhausting after a long day - you end up fighting your equipment for control).

Materials:
Carbon v Aluminum

I explain it this way: Baseball. You hit the ball with an aluminum bat, it sends the ball really far, but you get the kung-ung-ung-ung reverberation going through your body. You hit the ball with a wooden bat, it doesn't send the ball as far, but you don't get all that vibration. SO, if you could have a material that would send the ball like aluminum, but have the vibration-damping qualities of wood, THAT is how carbon behaves. It is desirable because (if it's done properly) it is lighter, stiffer, and stronger than aluminum, AND it damps vibration.

Why and when is this important?
Over longer distances you will not fatigue as much if you have more carbon in your bike frame. I explain this with airplanes rides. You know how you take a 30 minute flight on a prop plane, and it doesn't matter that you're in coach, it's only 30 minutes. But if you have a 3 hour flight, your experience in coach is vastly different from your experience in business class. Much of the reason is the vibration of the plane is damped by the nice big cushy seat. You don't arrive as fatigued. That is one of the reasons why people will invest in carbon. It yields a much more satisfying cycling experience.

Although you can always upgrade your components, perhaps add carbon bars or seatpost, your frame is your frame, and nothing will make it any better than it is at this moment. Invest in the nicest frame you can afford.

Bike shoes
Just because you're a road rider doesn't mean you need road shoes. I did a half-ironman in mountain shoes and pedals. Mtn pedals are easier to get in and out of, and the shoes allow you to walk. Road shoes are stiffer and lighter. I let the customer make the call after pointing out advantages of each system.

Women's design
3 things make a woman's bike a woman's bike:
1. shorter top tube to accommodate a shorter torso
2. narrower handlebars to accommodate narrower shoulders
3. wider saddle to accommodate wider sitbones
Most women under 5'8" do better on women's bikes, if for no other reason than wingspan. Women have shorter arms.

I am full of all kinds of advice on selling bikes to women... let me know how I can help.

FYI: when talking to people about bikes, unless you know they ride and are bike-savvy, if you refer to a part of the bike's anatomy, grab it or point to it. Words like top tube, derailleur, and even hub are lost on many many people. You are now in the business of education, and de-mystifying something that, for many people, is somewhat mysterious.

Good luck!

PS. H8R is spot on. Follow up on that advice.

PPS. While I'm on a roll, please note, there is no dampening in cycling unless you sweat on your top tube. When referring to what happens when vibration is brought to a minimum, the word is damping. You're welcome.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
wow sunny thanks...the way you explained things helped alot!
Our big sale start tomaro, and I'm going to be shadowing people on road bike sales, and probly doing mountain bike sales on my own. By this weekend I have to sell everything on my own though...so I'm shoving alot into my brain.

All of your guy's tips are helping alot!
Keep 'em coming.
:-)

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
No I sell Specialized, Trek, and Camp....sumn or another *the funky french word* and some fancy Canadian bike (cant remember the name, but cheapest one is like 5 grand) for road bikes.

For Mountain bikes we sell Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, and Redline BMX bikes.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
BTW buy a road bike with your EP program. I never thought I would say this, but I have been enjoying roadie ridding allot. Maybe I am getting old. I've BMXed, XCed, and DHed, and roadie ridding is becoming my new addiction by epic proportions. I rode 56miles the other day, averaging 20mph, and including lots of uphills as well as down. It put a burn on my legs like nothing I have ever felt. IDK maybe I am conscientiously into self mutilation, but whatever it was it felt awesome. I sat down when I got home, and I didn't want to move. Legs were throbbing.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha ok I wrote them down in my little notes book I keep on me...but I forgot to bring it home.

I'll learn it, the thing is...if anyone wants one of thoughs bikes, I'll hand them off to someone else anyhow...since their to high end and expensive for a mtb guy like me to sell. And we dont work on commision anyhow, so that way we give our honest opinions apparently. Thats what happens when you work at a shop credited to being the 3rd best in the nation, ehh?