Quantcast

a new toy

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
After admitting I really suck at trying to do trackstands - and balancing in general, I decided to get one of these...

The first time I tried to sit on it with my feet up ended up with me rolling off the top of the ball. My wife was very kind and didn't slip her gut laughing...but it was close. Then it was her turn :devil:
Does anyone have suggestions as what moves/excercises to do with this to improve balancing? TIA.

edit: "slip" - should be "split"

just jump on to it, hope you dont bouce, and balance on your head for hours, its really quite easy. also, the harder you pump it up, the easier it is to balance, or you could start out balancing on a basketball, which is easier than the huge ball, which you should be able to stand on relitively easily. also, when you doing track stands, turn the front wheel, and keep turning it, just enogh to stay up, i can probobly stand for 1 minute solid. but i never practiced with some yoga ball;)

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Thanks mastercycleman, will try to stand on it tonight after work...and hope I don't end up with multiple bone fracture! :) Not too sure about this "balance on your head" part though.
Trackstandwise, I'd be lucky to get pass 5sec. Long road of practice ahead.

mastercycleman said:
just jump on to it, hope you dont bouce, and balance on your head for hours, its really quite easy. also, the harder you pump it up, the easier it is to balance, or you could start out balancing on a basketball, which is easier than the huge ball, which you should be able to stand on relitively easily. also, when you doing track stands, turn the front wheel, and keep turning it, just enogh to stay up, i can probobly stand for 1 minute solid. but i never practiced with some yoga ball;)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'd suggest that before you attempt to stand on it again, that you master sitting on it with your knees (aka straddling the ball). Standing on an exercise ball, and the subsequent squats, are very tough exercises, and as you've seen, can lend themselves easily to injury. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah, as reflux said, master sitting on it with your knees, in an upright position.

I used to do some work on these balls to work on my core strength.

Balancing on the knees really takes a lot of stabalizing muscles in the mid section, and helps tighten that all up.
When you get good at that, you can start having somebody throw you a small 5 lb medicine ball, and work your way up.
Helps with both balance and core strength.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Thanks Dirty & reflux. Will try the knee excerise once I'm more confident just sitting on it with my feet off the ground. Have not been brave enough to try jumping on it yet. Cheers.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
My friend is a PT and he gave me one simple exercise that has helped my trail ridding. Kneel on the ball, using a wall or something to stabilize yourself. Basically sit on your calves on the ball. As your balance improves get the the point where you can rise from the squatted position to a kneeling position. Then comes the good stuff. Once in the kneeling position try to rotate your hips first fore and aft then side to side. When I first started all of this I couldn't stay atop the ball for more than 10 seconds. You have to build into it. I have terrible balance and this has really helped me. If you need more details send a PM.