Quantcast

A quick Baldy update

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I've been trying to not post anything related to Baldy until I have everything 100% ironed out and ready to go. I kinda have a supersticion (SP?) about talking about the future. Anyway, here's where we're at.

Baldy has hired me as there Bike Park Director. This is great news because it shows the mountain is taking a more active roll in the creation of the Bike park. Before that happened Mike and I had decided to end AMBP as we have to much on our respective plates as is. Thanks for supporting AMBP. If you have donated money don't worry no checks were ever cashed and we will send your check back to you (You could forward it on to the Mt. Baldy Bike Park :) ).

As for the Bike park:
Before the snow came I spent several weekends at Baldy hiking around, flaggings some trails, and meeting with industry peeps (more on that latter). We'll have to wait for the snow to melt for any more activity, but get excited because there is some sick terrain up there. I have three main areas for trails. We'll likely see advanced and intermediate trails first, and beginner trails will follow. We'll need tons of volunteers to help build the trails. I'm working on a Bike Park team in which your volunteer hours will go towards lift passes, swag, ect and you'll get recognition for your work. I've also been working with the USFS a lot lately and I can't stress how great they've been. The USFS is not the nazis that so many of you may think they are. Lots of them ride and want to see this Bike Park happen just as much as we do.

Industry Peeps:
I've been developing strategic partnerships with some incredible companies. The goal is to find companies that see this as an excellent opportunity to create something special. A place where they can showcase their latest products (and let us test 'em out :) ), test new products (a sort of R&D fascility), and play an active roll in the creation of the Bike Park.
I won't name any companies involved just yet, but I will say they are all quality and are all just as excited to build & ride this park as we are!
Oh, this is huge news! A certain Canadian freeride/DH legend will be meeting me at Baldy next week. He'll be an instrumental help in trail creation. We will be discussing a signature trail and a few other things (can't let the cat out just yet). Who is he? Well, you'll just have to what until next week when I post the pics and result of our meeting . E-spectulation anyone? Lets just say the guy has a few World Cup victories, X-games gold medalist, been in all the Kranked vids, and has designed Biker cross courses and WC courses. On top of all that he's a super great person (from what I've been told), and is taking time out of his schedule to come to our mountain! What more could we ask for!

OK thats it for now. I'll give anouther update next week. Feel free to PM me with thoughts or questions. The Bike Park at Baldy is no longer a matter of if, just when.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Sounds pretty cool! too bad their going to get another foot tonite, but thats sick too cuz snowboardings gunna be great! I cant wait to take a lift to ride in socal again!

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
After this current storm track, the snow will melt quickly on the face and Turkey Shoot. Plus, it will help to have moist soil to work with.

Excellent news.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
In addition to congratulating Conrad on his hard work, I would also like to point out to everyone, especially the naysayers that a little hard work, communication, and just plain asking for what you want can have tremendous pay offs.

When others were bitching about things online Conrad steped up and called Baldy and asked. :thumb:

Excellent work Conrad. I look forward to my first ride up the lift.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Just let us know the dealio with trail work.
I've built more than a few in my day. It will be nice to build one that will actually stay open now.
:eek: ;)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
they run the lift all year anyway, and they would always take bikes up so that's not a limiting factor. as of right now, there's only the fireroad to ride though.

it's dependent on when the snow melts out and people actually get shovels in the dirt (or scree as the case may be).