Quantcast

A "quick" ride

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Quick ride and I Are Baboon should never be used together.

MMcG called out a ride in Nassahegan today. It would be MMcG, I Are Baboon, MtnBikerChick, BigT, myself, Dan from Danolites, Steve and Alex.

The ride started normal enough, but then about a half hour in, MMcG has a little trouble. It seems that a small stick got caught in his derailer.

We kept saying that it was a sign from the Mountain Bike Gods that he is supposed to ride single speeds.

I got him fixed up, the chain was real tight, but I thought it would be OK.

We ride along a little further, and MMcG decides to leave his chain on the trail. So I fixed him up again, now his chain is really loose, but there is no chance of him snapping it again.

We continue on and there is a rock garden that MBC doesn't clean.

Steve is standing next to me as I take out the camera and says "Doesn't even ask if she is ok first, takes the picture then asks."

MBC understands the rules. Photos first, then ask about the bike, then the rider. :D

Just as we exit the rock garden, Alex breaks his chain for the first time.

We pop back out on Stone St, and MMcG decides that he has had enough and bails. Steve bails at that point too.

The 6 of us left decide that we are going to find "the kitchen", because it is rumored to be "not far". Famous last words.

BigT, myself, MBC and IAB need to be out of the woods and back on the road by noon. Seeing that we have about an hour and a half, we decide to ride on.

BigT starts having knee trouble shortly after we decide to continue, but doesn't complain. We ride on climbing and climbing. The route took us deeper and deeper into the woods and away from the cars.

After about 45 minutes, we decide that we need to get back to the cars. Good thing we had GPS to find our way back. Just turn right and we should get back to the cars. We get to one point where there is a right turn, but we decide that we should go straight. We'll find out where it goes at at later date. We get to a road, and there is 20 minutes before we have to get going. We ride the road and in the section where George Washington Tpke is dirt, Alex breaks his chain for the second time. BigT and I take off, and the rest wait for Alex.

Back at the cars, MBC and Dan arrive. IAB and Alex arrive soon after, Alex having broke his chain for the third time.

IAB climbing

IAB and MBC descending

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bummer about the machanicals Mark and Alex were having. What can ya do? :hmm: Hope BigT's knee is feeling better.

Funny, I told MBC that place doesn't have a lot of climbing. :p

I took a few pics but they suck. I had to use the "backup" memory card, which with my camera settings could hold THREE pics. I toned down the resolution and picture size so I could take more pics but they are grainy.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Man I can't believe such a small twigg could do that to a rear derailleur. That did suck.

Thanks for the help Quo - but after the chain snapped there was no way to keep the chain tight it just kept falling off every time I hit a rock - and there are a lot of em out there at Nass.

We'll do it again and we'll do it up right the next time.

Toddre

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Good Ole CT
Man I can't believe such a small twigg could do that to a rear derailleur. That did suck.

Thanks for the help Quo - but after the chain snapped there was no way to keep the chain tight it just kept falling off every time I hit a rock - and there are a lot of em out there at Nass.

We'll do it again and we'll do it up right the next time.

Keep me posted on the next ride

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Toddre- this could turn into a regular Sunday type ride so stay tuned! One of these times we'll get a full pull in as well. No bodily damage, or bike damage on the next one!!!