Quantcast

A road ride with the MMcG

splat

Nam I am
well as things unfolded this morning, I was to meet up with MMcG to buy some Wheels off of him at 10 AM in Sturbridge mass. around 8:30 I get a Message from Him to make it 10:30 and Bring my Road Bike for a Short Road ride..

so I met up with Mark at the designated time and place. was an beutiful day out , and I only wish we had planned better , and had told Quo_fan, IAB and Turner_girl. But alas it was not to be.
I relized I forgot to grab a water bottle. SO first stop a convience store where Ia waterbottle style gatorade.

the 2 bikes ready to go !

so we went out and since nether one of us knew where we were going we just made random turns at interesections .
and in our travels went down this very nice private road , some nice house and eventualy found our selfs riding past Old Historic Sturbridge Village ( read tourist trap ) as we went By it the road started to go up , and Up And Up

here MMcG working it !

It was one of those that you think you see the top and every time you make a turn t was still going up.

Here is the topo of it.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=42.10143&lon=-72.11245&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG25&size=l&s=50

Hmm I guess that road name did describe it .

MMcG makes it to the top , its Ok Mark , you can Puke now.

then we went down a Sreacing sttep down hill that wasa stop sign at a t intersection at the bottom. and we road that and other roads , Found an interesting Bike shop , Goat Bicycles , found some more small hills, some dead ends , etc , etc

and finally made our way Back

Its OK Mark we made it back!!

It was a Nice easy 15 Miles , I just hope I didn't hurt MMcG too bad.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Good times splat - and I'm okay.

But fellow Monkeys - you think splat is fast on a mountain bike......you ain't seen nothin yet till you ride on the road with him. All those road miles make him a mighty strong and fast road bike rider!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Ah yes, wish you had clued me in. A measly 22.5 mile on the road yesterday (but hey, a lot of climbing!) and just a tad over 46 for today (yeah, I know, I should have gone out an extra loop just to make the 50...but seemed I was riding into the wind a lot and I was soaked from a 10 AM start that had the roads awfully wet.). And no way will I be able to keep up with Splat on the road, but if there are enough of us...maybe he'll wait at pre-determined spots. ;)

BTW, while I'd much rather be racking up some trail time, guess the conditions are cooperating to train for the MS ride on 6/3. The obligatory plug...please help contribute to those of us on Team Peanut Butter Jelly Time! Notice that I am still doing my civic duty despite the announcement of a Dieselbikes Demo Day at Lynn on 6/3 - those of you that know me, will appreciate that... :clapping:

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Ah yes, wish you had clued me in. A measly 22.5 mile on the road yesterday (but hey, a lot of climbing!) and just a tad over 46 for today (yeah, I know, I should have gone out an extra loop just to make the 50...but seemed I was riding into the wind a lot and I was soaked from a 10 AM start that had the roads awfully wet.). And no way will I be able to keep up with Splat on the road, but if there are enough of us...maybe he'll wait at pre-determined spots. ;)
:disgust: :twitch: :disgust1:

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
The riding past the tourist trap got me reminiscing.

I grew up in Southbridge and although we never had to suffer Stallion Hill we regularly rode our 20in bikes on this route http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=35+beech+st+southbridge+ma&daddr=River+Rd+to:Champeaux+Rd+to:42.107208,-72.148547&hl=en&geocode=;FWhDggIdNxW0-w;FZbVggIdEGmz-w;&mra=mi&mrcr=1&mrsp=3&sz=15&via=1&sll=42.109653,-72.141981&sspn=0.01404,0.027294&ie=UTF8&ll=42.109621,-72.149234&spn=0.01404,0.027294&t=p&z=15 to go bridge jumping. Now in reality that isnt all that bad but considering we were probably between 9 and 13 years old and really werent supposed to leave the neighborhood.... One particular time I got a flat on rt 20. Kids have no business riding their bikes on rt 20 in the first place but me thinking "We only went swimming how much trouble could I really get into" Called my mom from a gas station on rt 20

"Mom I got a flat can you come get me?"
Mom "Why cant you just walk home?"
ME "Well Im on rt 20 and its kind of a long way."
Mom "WHAT????"

Haha Yeah I got grounded for a little while for that one. Lesson learned?? Walk home next time. :lighten: