Quantcast

A week in L.A.

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Later this month I'm heading to L.A. to visit a friend. I'll be there the 26th to the 31st. Coming from Boston, I'm sure my head will explode. If you have any suggestions on places to visit that will make my cranial explosion more entertaining for my friend, reply. I won't have my bike with me, unfortunately. I will have my camera, so anything photographic is good.

"LA" is a much bigger word than you may think. It covers geography that goes from Concord almost to Providence... heh heh.

Okay, not riding, want some stuff to see and do, here are some ideas:

--Go out to Los Feliz for nightlife and dinner. Park & walk...the new LA bohemia, man.

--Go to Venice Beach to check the hardbodies, the rollerskate dude, the whole scene. Scope out the window of the apartment Jim Morrison lived in when he wrote..stuff.

--Go to Sunday brunch at the Sagebrush Cantina in Calabassas, and then go for beers at The Rock Store. Make your host figure out where these are (super easy to get to both) and just do it.

--Petersen Car Museum, somewhere in the basin. Massive.

--Go to Helen's Bike Shop in Santa Monica, ask for a fellow named Monty to set you up on a test ride 5-Spot, then take off for a few hours of riding in the hills to the north. When you get back, just be aggressive in your most "Boston" accent you can muster, and take pictures.

--Drive up to Big Bear (2-3 hours), rent bikes and go ride. Either the DH courses or the XC-long routes.

--Drive down to Tijuana (2-3 hours), get drunk, tip the dancers with round boobs and oddly large throats, buy tequila and get a tattoo.

--Go to the Getty, ponder art and see hom many times you can touch stuff before the guards melt down.

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Will Helen's really let me test ride a bike for more than 20 minutes? I am looking at getting a new fullie. The Heckler was winning my eye but I'm still open to new contenders.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by EBasil
"LA" is a much bigger word than you may think.....
Forgot one thing I tell newbie's;

Ride a bike up & down the bike path at the beach; from North of SantaMonica to PV beach and then back.