Quantcast

A West Hartford Reservoir Two Fer!! Good Times

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So I got up around 7 and hit the road and met up with Toddre, Chris and Bill for a loop at 8 a.m. at the WH Reservoir. It was a beautiful morning - great sunshine, great temps, no bugs, and nice tacky trail conditions for the most part.

Toddre was riding his Steel Stew 29er - that he built himself at UBI this winter, Bill on a fancy schmancy Carbon fibre enduro and Chris on a Salsa El Caballero that was scary light. Here are a few ride pics from that first loop - more riding was to be had later little did I know.

Chris through the rocks:

Toddre on his Steel Stew:

Me tackling a climb that you can't really tell from the pic that it is a climb:

Bill on the Blinged out Enduro:

Chris on a climb:

Toddre and John (who joined us for a portion of the ride)

So we broke apart and Todd and Bill hauled back to the parking lot so Bill could get to work at Bikers Edge in Bristol and then Toddre doubled back and he and I finished up the loop.

We came in to the parking lot and low and behold who do we run into ?? IAB, MBC, Quo Fan and Big T. I had missed MBCs last minute email about a 10 a.m. ride - but found em perusing some tents for a Recreation Day Event at the Reservoir. So I decided to join them for a second loop. I'm glad I did. It was a blast to ride with them - we hadn't been out in this group since last year and much fun was had. MBCs first mtb ride of the season and she rode like a champ. :thumb:

Here are some shots from the second loop for you:

IAB, MBC, and Quo on a little dip:

Quo Fan descending and getting some air:

Beautiful Dogwood tree!

MBC up the rocks:

Hello over there!

Phil on a small drop - I took the shot a little too early but you get the idea:

More rocks:

Logs too!

We wrapped the ride up just as the skies were clouding up. Good times with good peeps on fun trails. Great way to spend a Sunday.

It was so nice I had to do two! ;)

I see MBC has her knee Shin Gaurds on! did she puthe first scratches on them ?
Actually the first scratches were put on them back at KT last fall - what's that trail - you know the one where there's actually a warning sign and you have the choice of going to the right or left and it's all washed out (maybe North Branch?) Yeah - there, I slid into home on my shin! WHEE!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good times, indeed! A bit crowded in the parking lot because of "recreation day", but we scored free snacks and free t-shirts! :thumb: That doesn't happen too often at trailheads. We're now "Friends of the MDC Reservoirs." :D

NEMBA had a tent set up with a few obstacles. Quo Fan successfully rides the log:

MBC on the teeter totter. No picture though of Quo Fan falling backwards onto his ass. :( Why did I put the camera away!?

So after about a half hour of checking out the tents, it was onto the trails.

Mark up on a rock.

followed by MBChickie

and Quo Fan

MBC, BigT, Quo Fan discussing rock strategy.

my bikey

Quo Fan on a set of planks

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I got a couple of videos of those planks, too.

MMcG clears them with no problem.

followed by MBC. Nice work!!

Definitely a fun ride. Too much road riding and not enough MTB for me so far this year. Nice job doing two laps, Mark! 16-18 miles in that place is quite taxing.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
THat's a lot of pictures!

Aren't the dogwoods gorgeous this time of year? It's going to look like it snowed in town in about a week though. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
THat's a lot of pictures!

Aren't the dogwoods gorgeous this time of year? It's going to look like it snowed in town in about a week though. :)
I think Quo Fan might have taken some too.

I hadn't taken a camera out on a ride in a long while so maybe I got a little picture happy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet shots! Those pics definitely stir up a lot of memories for me - I grew up in West Hartford and the rez was one of the first places I ever rode mountain bikes.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sweet shots! Those pics definitely stir up a lot of memories for me - I grew up in West Hartford and the rez was one of the first places I ever rode mountain bikes.
How long ago was that? I've been riding there maybe 8-9 years and compared to when I first started riding there, that place is now worn down to the nub. :p Heavy MTB traffic on those trails. You can't beat the location though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
How long ago was that? I've been riding there maybe 8-9 years and compared to when I first started riding there, that place is now worn down to the nub. :p Heavy MTB traffic on those trails. You can't beat the location though.
Interesting. I guess I first rode bikes there in the late 80's. I moved from that area to Boston in '92, and would occasionally make it back there periodically until I moved from Boston to San Francisco in 1996. Have not been back since.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Looks like some fun trails. On a side note, what model Soul Cycle is that? I just built up my old Soul Cycles Titan and plan to trail ride it. Just need a better fork and it will be good to go.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Looks like some fun trails. On a side note, what model Soul Cycle is that? I just built up my old Soul Cycles Titan and plan to trail ride it. Just need a better fork and it will be good to go.

Hey CHOP - that is a Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er - it is a relatively new model from Soul that went alongside their new Hooligan 26er.

I also have a Titan and it could use a nicer fork too!

Best,

Mark