Quantcast

A Whole Chicken

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I have a whole chicken defrosting in my fridge, how would you cook it?

I have an oven and a grill, no rotissery hardware for the grill though.

What are some of your recipes?

thanks

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I'm no chef - but if your grill it, you probably want to boil it first for awhile (to make sure that the whole chicken is cooked)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I made this over the weekend and it was awesome.

3 qt water
1 qt apple cider
1/4 c salt
1 bay leaf
2 tbs peppercorn

Marinate at least 8 hours, remove from brine and stuff with 1 medium onion quartered, 2 to 4 garlic cloves, several sprigs of flat leaf parsely. Tie the legs together. Place on a broiler pan or roaster and roast for 1.5 to 2 hours at 400*

While roasting, simmer 2 cups of cider until reduced to about 1/2 a cup. When chicken is done, remove the skin and baste the chicken with half of the reduced cider, cook for 10 more minutes, baste with remainder of reduced cider and serve. Pour the drippings in to a ziploc bag-lined cup or bowl. Let cool several minutes so the fat rises to the top and gels. Snip off a corner of the bag to let the jus out. Serve with the chicken.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BikeGeek said:

3 qt water
1 qt apple cider
1/4 c salt
1 bay leaf
2 tbs peppercorn

Marinate at least 8 hours, remove from brine and stuff with 1 medium onion quartered, 2 to 4 garlic cloves, several sprigs of flat leaf parsely. Tie the legs together. Place on a broiler pan or roaster and roast for 1.5 to 2 hours at 400*

While roasting, simmer 2 cups of cider until reduced to about 1/2 a cup. When chicken is done, remove the skin and baste the chicken with half of the reduced cider, cook for 10 more minutes, baste with remainder of reduced cider and serve. Pour the drippings in to a ziploc bag-lined cup or bowl. Let cool several minutes so the fat rises to the top and gels. Snip off a corner of the bag to let the jus out. Serve with the chicken.
:drool: Now that sounds good!!!!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
s1ngletrack said:
I'm no chef - but if your grill it, you probably want to boil it first for awhile (to make sure that the whole chicken is cooked)

And THAT is why you are "no chef" :nope:

;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my fave is a simple roast. take a bunch of butter, some lemon zest, chopped garlic, some herbs, and torn up prosciutto. mix together, and stuff under the chicken skin as much as you can (careful not to tear).

heat a pan w/ some oil in the oven at i think about 425 or so. when the pan is hot, put the chicken in and sear it, breast-side down. after 15 min, reduce heat to 375, throw in a bunch of chopped up root veggies, and then put the chicken on top of it.

baste occasionally w/ the pan drippings, and cook until done (check w/ a meat thermo in the thigh). i think it's about another 45-60 min or so.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BikeGeek said:

3 qt water
1 qt apple cider
1/4 c salt
1 bay leaf
2 tbs peppercorn

hey,

we made this last weekend too. do you get cooking light as well? i dont eat chicken but man it smelled good, and tn ate off of it all week. very good recipe.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
laura said:
hey,

we made this last weekend too. do you get cooking light as well? i dont eat chicken but man it smelled good, and tn ate off of it all week. very good recipe.
Ha! My wife got a free issue and that was the first thing we made. I noticed that the managing editor has the same name as an ex of mine. I wonder if the free issue is her way of stalking me. :help: :D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
BikeGeek said:
Pour the drippings in to a ziploc bag-lined cup or bowl. Let cool several minutes so the fat rises to the top and gels. Snip off a corner of the bag to let the jus out. Serve with the chicken.
My mom taught me that you can just drop icecubes into the drippings and the fat will congeal around the ice cube, after about 10 seconds you can just scoop the fat covered ice cube out. If you feel like you didn't get all the fat out with one ice cube drop in another and repeat. It's got to be even easier than your ziploc bag trick and you don't run the risk of melting a plastic bag in your gravy.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Kornphlake said:
My mom taught me that you can just drop icecubes into the drippings and the fat will congeal around the ice cube, after about 10 seconds you can just scoop the fat covered ice cube out.
Sounds like a neat trick. I'll have to try that sometime. Plus if you freeze toothpicks into the ice cubes beforehand you can have dripping pops! :drool: :oink: :dead:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Kornphlake said:
My mom taught me that you can just drop icecubes into the drippings and the fat will congeal around the ice cube, after about 10 seconds you can just scoop the fat covered ice cube out. If you feel like you didn't get all the fat out with one ice cube drop in another and repeat. It's got to be even easier than your ziploc bag trick and you don't run the risk of melting a plastic bag in your gravy.

Just get one of the fat separating things...
It looks liek a measuring cup with a spout that comes off the bottom.
Pour in your juices... wait a minute and then pour out the juices Sans Fat.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DamienC said:
Sounds like a neat trick. I'll have to try that sometime. Plus if you freeze toothpicks into the ice cubes beforehand you can have dripping pops! :drool: :oink: :dead:
Or as I like to call them, Fatsicles.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
-BB- said:
Just get one of the fat separating things...
It looks liek a measuring cup with a spout that comes off the bottom.
Pour in your juices... wait a minute and then pour out the juices Sans Fat.
Yeah if I made gravy every day I'd definately have one of those, actually my mom has one but still uses icecubes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Kornphlake said:
Yeah if I made gravy every day I'd definately have one of those, actually my mom has one but still uses icecubes.
I sound like a real momma's boy don't I. I'm not, I live away from my parents, I have a wife who does a wonderful job of cooking for me, and I wipe my nose on my shirt sleeve. I just don't want to take credit for the cool fat cube trick my mom invented (or at least taught me anyway).