Quantcast

A year of East Coast DH

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
So, assume "Fat Guy" has all the gear, bike, ect. What can he expect to Shell out over a season if he only raced once or twice a month...So he'd drive to Tenney and P Kill. Beyond his driving expenses...how much do you guys go through in the course of a season in the form of race fees, liscense, replacement parts (average), Medical bills... ;) Homie wants to know what he's getting into.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Let me qualify this by saying I'm not fat....

$75 for a UCI license

~$40 for each race.

I'd budget maybe $200 for tires ( Fresh knobs are great, need tires for mud and dry, and maybe something in between).

$60 or so for brake-related stuff

~$100 for other consumables like cables and chains.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I usually go thru a couple hundred bucks worth of spare parts, derailleurs, etc in a season.... plus entry fees, license, etc..

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It all depends on what the guy considers "usable" honestly. Me, I ride wheels til they look like stopsigns, and my chains are just made up of a bunch of old broken chains. I dont think Ive ever actually purchased a new set of tires before either.

Really, i dont think theres any way to guesstimate without knowing the guy's habits and how much he rides and wants to ride and is willing to spend. If I have myself budgeted for $1000, you can bet Ill be spending every last dime and probably a thousand more. If I only have 50 bucks, Ill still make it happen.

Jun 13, 2002
NH
I blow about a $1500 a season to race. (including Jerseys, parts, beer).
(about the same as a season of racing fuel for the RMX 250...)

About $500 of that is at the Nats @ Mt snow though.
$50.00 to park
$50.00 to camp
$50.00 to race DH only
$50.00 to race mtx.
$50.00 to pee
etc.
So if you skip it you can save a lot.
I can't though, I'm hooked...Damn..

On a good year I won't need much more than tubes, cables and chains.
On a bad year I ran a boxxer and needed a new fork halfway through the season.

If you do 3 trail build work parties at Tenny They'll comp a race, which'll save a little.