Quantcast

Aaaaaaaah hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old_Dude

Monkey
Until you get a "real" answer, maybe this will help - if your calipers are just a wee bit off, try loosening them so they'll stay on but they'll move around a bit, put on the wheel, then close the pads (use your brake lever) and then tighten up the calipers.

(this is just a guess - okay)

Have you tried the Zinn book? Mine's in the basement & dinner's on so I gotta go, but if you don't have it, I can type the basics of disc brake installation later if you want . . . gotta go.

Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
I'm trying to put my new discs on - and I've got the rotors on but now the calipers don't line up with the screws!

Tell me I'm going to be able to get them on with these hubs -

http://bike.shimano.com/mtb/deore/ComponentTemplate.asp?partnumber=HB-M555-L

PLEASE!
If the calipers don't line up with the screws, it'd sound to me as though the disk might be the wrong diameter. It does not sound like a hub issue.

Is this happening both front and rear?

J

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
(this is mbc)

I get the rotors on, then put the wheels on the bike. The caliper doesn't fit between the mounts (on the fork in the front for example) so the pads are around the rotor - am I making sense?

Also, the rear rotor is extremely CLOSE to the frame - but does not touch.

Thanks for the offer re: Zinn - But I have it and it's useless for this.

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . it's time to put the pieces aside and plan a trip to your LBS tomorrow.
Where's Kona Dude when you need him? I guarantee he'd know exactly what additional information you need to provide (if any) & he'd know exactly what to do. He's a bike genious - don't tell him this but I'd be willing to pay him for his advice - he's that good.

And I'm cheap.

It definetly sounds like just a diameter problem, the bracket that is supplied to install the caliper to the fork..(YOU are useing the bracket, not trying to bolt it directly are you?), is the incorrect one for this rotor diameter...

Caliper Positioning System (CPS)
The patent pending Caliper Positioning System allows for effortless, fast and accurate alignment of the caliper to the rotor. No shims or trial and error required. To align the caliper:
• Install the caliper and lever onto the bike;
• Install the wheel, with the rotor attached;
• Slightly loosen the CPS bolts (2);
• Adjust the brake pads, use the adjuster knobs, until they are firmly contacting the rotor;
• Tighten the CPS bolts;
• Back off the pad adjuster knobs up to 1/2 turn each.

check out this popup...you are using Avids right?

http://www.avidbike.com/2_cpsdiskbrakes/popup_cps.html

Originally posted by shootr
It definetly sounds like just a diameter problem, the bracket that is supplied to install the caliper to the fork..(YOU are useing the bracket, not trying to bolt it directly are you?), is the incorrect one for this rotor diameter...

lol - yes, I'm using the bracket!

are you saying they sent me the wrong brackets IN THE BOX with the rotors?

Highlander

Chimp
Mar 12, 2002
Berkshires
For different frames and forks. Is It the screw holes of the caliper not lining up with the screw holes for the adapter, or the screw holes for the adapter not lining up with the screw holes on the fork/frame? Whichever it is............it sounds like an incorrect adapter.

that is a possibility, if the bracket is designed for a 6" rotor it would be wrong on an 8" rotor, as it would place the caliper far to deep into the rotor, (too low) and make it impossible to mount it.
are you using the avids in the pic?

no, it should not come off, but you should be able to slip the rotor to the other side by rotating it relative to the flange, and then bolting it from the other side..
Now I am just guessing here, grasping at straws..
I don't think that this should be the case or solution at all..
but who knows...

Just another Q....
is your hub "centered" in the fork??
I mean that you don't have an extra spacer on one side of the axle that isn't supposed to be there??

sorry that I am not much help...I wish that I could see it, maybe we should all pitch in and get you a digital camera...so that we can all be your "online LBS"...hehe

looking at your hub it actually appears that you COULD put the caliper on the inboard side...(near to the spokes), but I doubt that is how it is supposed to be...

I am becomming baffled as to what the problem is that would make the disc sit so far outboard (near to the fork), are the front and rear discs the same? as well as the rotors??

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I'm coming in to this a little late but here's my guess. Did you have the wrong adapter on the front brake? The first time I got discs, they sent me 2 front I.S. adapters and I had the damnedest time trying to get the rear to fit. the only other thing that comes to mind is if you have mixed up rotors or are missing the CPS washers.

What was the solution?

G

gravity

what sort of fork are you using? and what size rotor?

not absolutely sure here, but i'd say the problem was that you had the wheel turned around the wrong way, ie the disc was on the right hand side :D :p

it's possible they included the wrong adapter, but you'd have to actually tell us what stuff you're using before we can help :rolleyes: :p

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'd be willing to bet $1.25 that you just needed additional spacers between the IS mounts and the adapters. So far every caliper I've ever mounted to an IS mount needed much thicker spacers than all the ones that came with them combined...

Then again I could be wrong.

So what did the shop do?