Quantcast

? about technique when out of the saddle

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The first few times I climbed out of the saddle I noticed that I felt like I was jumping on the pedals (throwing my weight around) rather than spinning smoothly. I couldn't really get a good spin going. Then I noticed that if I push my weight forward so most of my weight is held up by my arms and not my legs, I could spin really well... not for very long, but nice and smooth. Is this the proper way to spin out of the saddle, with your arms/upper body holding most of your weight, or is there something else I should be trying?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think they call it "dancing on the pedals". I think the idea is to be like on a stairclimber. Yeah, you use your hands, but I think it's more for balance than control. You really use your hands if you're pulling on the upstroke with your foot.

It's taken me a year to stand for any significant amount of time, now I can stand a lot longer than I used to and my arms don't fatigue as fast. Also, if you have flexy shoes, you'll notice them more when standing and hammering.

Maybe those in the know will chime in?

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Whatever you read about the proper way to stand and climb, there are guys who climb amazingly well doing it totally "wrong" . Some guys dance like Pantani did; some guys flail around like Virenque; some guys float like Armstrong. And some guys just sit and grind like Ullrich. Most of them sway the bike side to side opposite to their pedal stroke to take advantage of their body weight and arm strength. But any weight you put on your arms is weight you can't put through the pedals, so I wouldn't focus on weighting your arms. And the quieter your upper body is the less energy you'll use. Also if you get too far forward your rear wheel will skip when it gets really steep or sandy. In fact, I pull up on the bars when it's really steep to create more rear traction. That sounds completely confusing, but there's lots of room for improvisation and creating the style that works best for you.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One thing you learn mountain biking is if you put alot of weight on the front of the bike, you lose traction on the rear tire.

Road biking is much different. You can put plenty of weight on the front and still keep good traction. Think about shots of sprinters from the side: they are low and with their heads over the bars.

But you might not be a (imagine a bad Phil Liggett) "dancer on the pedals". Lance is one dude that can do but, but Jan Ullrich is a grinder on saddle.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
jaydee said:
In fact, I pull up on the bars when it's really steep to create more rear traction. That sounds completely confusing, but there's lots of room for improvisation and creating the style that works best for you.
Just curious, does your front wheel jump around on occasion? It does for me but as long as I am not in a pack, no biggie.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
sanjuro said:
Just curious, does your front wheel jump around on occasion? It does for me but as long as I am not in a pack, no biggie.

It does if I get the rhythm wrong or get tired and start thrashing. But by then it's time for me to sit down and reconsider my plans anyway.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Actually it did sound kind of stupid to say I pull up on the bars while climbing. I meant to pull back on them a bit, kind of parallel to the ground, just like on a mountain bike.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Like jaydee said, different strokes for different folks. I'd experiment with different approaches and find what works best.
If my pedalstrokes are feeling choppy as opposed to fluid when out of the saddle, I drop it down a gear or two as well to smooth it out and get more torque from my miniscule frame. Using my lower back when driving the pedals down and keeping the arms kind of relaxed, but still swinging the bars helps me too.
I'll shift up to whatever gear gives me a good cadence once I get back into the saddle.
If I'm just riding casually, I'll stay in the saddle spin like it's nobody's business.

I think I may have to try to wheelie my way up a climb someday...I'd score mad chicks that way.:)

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
eh im a grinder... or i just havent master climbing while standing... i do a little sometimes if my legs are really burning i just do it tho to rest the legs a little.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
DBR X6 RIDER said:
If my pedalstrokes are feeling choppy as opposed to fluid when out of the saddle, I drop it down a gear or two as well to smooth it out
Yah, typically when you're standing you should be about 2 cogs smaller than when seated, and be riding with a slower cadence. That way your heart rate doesn't go quite as high, which helps to compensate for the lack of efficiency in out of saddle climbing. And since no one's mentioned it, stand with your hands gripping the hoods when you're grinding up a climb, not in the drops or on the tops.

It also helps to think circles rather than the stairmaster thing someone suggested above. Circles are always better.

Finally, get a different cassette or compact chain rings before you think about a triple. Triples are for loaded touring. If you can't get up the hill in a double, lay off the donuts.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wooglin said:
Yah, typically when you're standing you should be about 2 cogs smaller than when seated, and be riding with a slower cadence. That way your heart rate doesn't go quite as high, which helps to compensate for the lack of efficiency in out of saddle climbing. And since no one's mentioned it, stand with your hands gripping the hoods when you're grinding up a climb, not in the drops or on the tops.
Yea, I always go down 2-3 cogs when standing... but I don't keep the cadence down. I feel "better" - more comfortable, more in control... not sure exactly - at a higher cadenece, which is why I get winded so fast.

I'll keep this in the back of my mind next time I go out. Oh, and yes, I'm on the hoods when out of the saddle, generally in the drops when seated.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I pedal out of the saddle three different ways. Attacking a hill I dance or bounce on the pedals. Sprinting I do more of a violent dance doing a lot of work by pulling up on the pedals too, I have to shift my weight back to preven the rear wheel from lifting. If on a long climb or just trying to get out of the saddle for comfort reasons I put a lot of weight on the bars and try to get a smooth but lower cadence spin.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wooglin said:
It also helps to think circles rather than the stairmaster thing someone suggested above. Circles are always better.
yes yes, circle = better.

the point I was making about the stairclimber was the hands... you don't grip the rails, just use them for balance. Think of using your mid-section to control everything.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm still experimenting with how I climb out of the saddle. Sometimes I just stand up to use different muscles for a bit, sometimes I stand up to sprint, and sometimes I stand up for more power. It definitely messes me all up when I try to haul ass standing up, last night I was actually lifting the bike off the ground and had to tell myself to calm the heck down. I think in time I'll get better at it.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
For my $.02, it's really hard to "spin" when out of the saddle. I consider it spinning if your cadence is above 80-90 rpm. I shift up a gear or two, stand up, keep my arms slightly bent, and rock the bike slightly back and forth. I try to pace my breathing with the cadence. When I do settle back into the saddle, I don't just shift back and "drop" onto the saddle - I slowly ease onto the saddle, trying to stay smooth the whole time. As soon as I sit back down, I'll shift back down a couple gears and keep motoring.

The biggest thing I've discovered lately is not to back off when you "think" you're going to blow. I just keep pushing and find my point of implosion to much later than I thought it was going to be. It's called riding on the rivet and it feels gooood!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
How's the BCC membership going, Tom? You need to drop out of that club, and soon!
I'm looking forward to hitting the roads along Mt. Rainier fairly soon if the weather gets much warmer. Sunrise, Cayuse Pass and Paradise...:drool:

This just in - Pip called to tell me that Loreto (aka - Five) just joined the BCC...AGAIN!!!:eek::(

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Hey Andy!

I'm healing up pretty well, my shoulder is still sore but the clavicle feels pretty good. I go in to the doc on Wednesday and find out more then. I hope that he says I'll be good to go with the road bike in a couple weeks. This Saturday will be 4 weeks since I broke it. I take the sling off for a few hours each night. I'll keep you posted and we'll do some road riding soon!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Sounds good, Tom.:thumb:
Speaking of broken, I was just going over my road bike and noticed a nice hairline fracture on my head tube, just below the top tube. That kind of sucks...alot.:angry:
My roomie is kind enough to loan me his cross-bike to commute with. Lucky for me I commute to a bike shop these days, so maybe I'll be able to work a deal on something else rather quickly (knocking on wood). A week earlier and I could have gotten an older steel Pinarello that was just plain cherry.

On the bright side, my new mountain bike is up and running and it rocks!