Quantcast

ABS plastic paint

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
So I bought a canoe last week and the paint on the bottom is pealing off. So I talked to the people who made the canoe and they said to use ABS plastic paint. Now my question is, WTF is abs plastic paint? The google didn't help and the guys at lowes and auto zone looked at me like I was crazy. All I've figurd out is how to put t on and that it isn't a spray paint. Any idea on what this stuff is/looks like and where I can get it?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What youll want to do is, scuff off the existing paint, to were no more is peeling off.... Scotchbrite pad will work great, youll want to apply an adhesion promoter, can get it in an aerosol can at home depot, but the stuff at Dunn Edwards is alot better. The ABS plastic paint will stick with this ALOT better, the different in the plastic paint is that it is flexible. If you use a standard paint itll just crack right off.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I got some krylon "fusion" plastic paint and it worked pretty well. Used it on my fenders on my bike and it held up for a couple seasons, and that's without the best prep/technique. Would buy again.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got some krylon "fusion" plastic paint and it worked pretty well. Used it on my fenders on my bike and it held up for a couple seasons, and that's without the best prep/technique. Would buy again.
:stupid:

I used some white on the plastics of a sand bound dirtbike. It looked good from 5 feet and held up for 3 years.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, mine was not pretty but if I had planned better/cared I would have gotten clear fenders and painted the inside. It comes out as a very "flat" appearance, rather than gloss...if that bothers you. Maybe they make a clearcoat?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The white I used had a good gloss to it. It also cleaned up well with Simple Green. No Oregon mud stains or nothing.