Quantcast

AC Joint Protection Post-Injury?

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I suffered a Grade 3 AC Joint separation about 3 weeks ago now. I am mending well and I am hoping to race the series final over halloween weekend. Since I am sure I am not the first monkey to have suffered a separated shoulder, what type of armor are those that have suffered this injury wearing to protect your AC? I opted to stay away from surgery so I have a nice bump now. I have been looking at various options and while I know nothing can really "protect" me, anything with padding would be better I suppose than nothing.

I have considered full upper body armor, something like the POC Spine Tee, a 661 coresaver, EVS shoulder braces, McDavid shoulder braces, adding AC donut style padding to any of the above.

TIA!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Something w/ shoulder pads *might* help, but I've separated a shoulder while wearing my Dainese in a really high speed get off. The best thing you can do for yourself is heal up fully, and then start lifting weights--lateral raises, shoulder press, bench, rows, etc. Some have told me that isometric (holding the weight in a position of resistance w/o moving it) Will help tighten down the muscle over the joint...could be hocus pocus, but I do some of that as well w/ lateral raises. Get that shoulder strong because the vast majority of the shoulder joint stability is due to muscle tone rather than the ligaments, which you now no longer have.

Heal up and good luck!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I haven't injured my AC joint, but I just got back to riding after healing up a dislocated elbow, which is probably at least somewhat similar in recovery.
I went straight to physical therapy and did what they told me to do, and now my elbow is healed up and strong enough to take DH riding again without any sort of brace/support, etc.
So, that would be my recommendation: go see a physical therapist and do what they tell you to do. You may have to not ride for a couple months and do basic stretches and exercises, but that probably your best bet to getting back to 100%.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
SuboptimusPrime - my off was very similar, high speed and my shoulder took the brunt of it. no amount of padding would have saved my AC in that event. Prior to the crash, I lifted so my shoulder was strong before hand and now I'll have to work back up that.

mtg - my PT starts next week after the ortho releases me to it. his instructions were to get out of my sling as soon as I could which I did. Found a diagnostic program for AC injuries in hockey players that included some early on recommendations prior to PT which I have been following, namely doing wall walks and codman's circles.

I am not counting on being back for that last race, it's a goal though if I can make it. Just looking to protect this bony protrusion which I have named Kuatto.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I'm in the same boat, had a grade 2/3 (left side) that they didn't want to fix surgically. I'm almost 4 months in and getting lots of strength back, pain was gone a few months ago. It also happened at the same time as a shattered right wrist, so I was out of comission for a while.

I've got a lump as well, and I'm kinda worried about re-injury, although I guess it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Aug 4, 2008
Don't screw around with your AC joint...

Trust me on this one - don't screw around with it...

Have I mentioned NOT TO F**** around with your AC joint?

You want to get it healed properly or you will regret it.

Plus there is no protection for your AC ligament. Nothing will help you - not even shoulder pads, some say they may even worsen your potential injury.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
Don't screw around with your AC joint...

Trust me on this one - don't screw around with it...

Have I mentioned NOT TO F**** around with your AC joint?

You want to get it healed properly or you will regret it.
When did I say I was going to screw around with my AC joint? If I cant ride DH again this year then so be it. Just looking to protect the AC area. the ligaments are gone, cant do any damage to something that isn't there.

Aug 4, 2008
I don't believe you will be able to do any meaningful level of riding with grade III AC joint separation.

I had a grade I/II and did some physio therapies and got ready for racing in 3 weeks - crashed again. After this second crash it took me 6 months to get it sorted properly.

Grade III - just give it a break, get it reconstructed and heal up. You have a life beyond DH ahead of you yknow? As hard as it might be to believe :).

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice that you're looking for advice about how to protect ACL after it heals. Sadly there's nothing you can do about it. It usually gets damaged from direct side impact into shoulder or over-rotation of shoulder. Anyways - its impossible to protect oneself from ACL injury. No padding will help.

Last edited:

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I certainly hear you and I am thinking long term. As I said, not doing the surgery, my ortho didnt recommend it for anything other than cosmetic reasons. Everyone is different too, I might react quicker than you did. Dont crap on my hope! :)

You should have just done a grade 3 the first time. from what I have read, you are more prone after a Grade 1/2 than just going the whole way.

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
I've had a grade 3 to 5 AC joint separation 2 years ago. Because it was my second day of vacation in Whistler (I'm from Brazl), I managed to ride back again within one week after injury. I went to a physiotherapy clinic and they taped my clavicle down. So it hurted less.

It's been two years now and I never had surgery. I do feel some pain when playing tennis though, specially when serving and smashing. But it's all normal for everything else I do.

The funny thing is that you can move your collarbone as it was a piano key.

Back to your question... There is no protection for a separated AC joint, as the ligaments are all torned. I was told by the doctors there isn't much else to injury anymore. So this is good... You can go back riding when you don't feel the pain anymore...
BUT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU STRENGHTEN YOUR SHOULDER AND BACK MUSCLES...
THEY ARE KEY TO COMPENSATE LACK OF STRENGTH DUE TO A SEPARATED AC JOINT...

wow, crazy timing!

i separated my left AC joint (grade 3) in downieville 3 weeks ago sunday.
i went straight to my trusted sports doc, and he put me in a sling for a week. started physio the week after, and i just had what could be my last session today. my range of motion is 95-98% back, pain's gone way down, and strength is coming back quickly. the only thing that's going to take a while is press-type exercises, seeing as i can't even do knee pushups yet. i got on a road bike this weekend and was fine except for a bit of an ache, and i've been instructed to ease into mtb once i feel able - xc soon, dh once i can handle pushups and abrupt, load-bearing movements.
i'm thinking by mid oct i should be more or less ready to shred trail though! hopefully it'll be similar for you

and i'm not sure what that other guy is talking about.. grade 3 means you tore your AC joint completely, but there's nothing stopping you from activity again. at worst you fall on it again and either snap your collarbone, hurt SC joint, or pop the gh joint apart

good luck!

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
Sounds like you are making good progress coldawg. I wish I had been released to physio sooner but I wont start till next week. Any gain in range in motion that I have is from my own therapy of wall walks and codman's. like you, press type motions definitely still twinge, I cant imagine trying a pushup right now. the abrupt movements of DH will likely be what holds me back. Guess we'll see.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
I certainly hear you and I am thinking long term. As I said, not doing the surgery, my ortho didnt recommend it for anything other than cosmetic reasons. Everyone is different too, I might react quicker than you did. Dont crap on my hope! :)

You should have just done a grade 3 the first time. from what I have read, you are more prone after a Grade 1/2 than just going the whole way.
I think I already responded to you on MTBR, but yeah forgoing the surgery is the CORRECT choice as surgery only gets rid of the bump - it does not make you any less prone to injury.' So unless you're a model worried about an asymmetrical body, surgery is not necessary.

For reference, I've had both of my shoulders separated (grade III both times). I ride hard, lift weights, and play competitive full contact hockey (defense too) with NO problems.

First PT then weight training to build up strength is KEY.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I think I already responded to you on MTBR, but yeah forgoing the surgery is the CORRECT choice as surgery only gets rid of the bump - it does not make you any less prone to injury.' So unless you're a model worried about an asymmetrical body, surgery is not necessary.

For reference, I've had both of my shoulders separated (grade III both times). I ride hard, lift weights, and play competitive full contact hockey (defense too) with NO problems.

First PT then weight training to build up strength is KEY.
Its funny because Im a hockey player too. My full contact days are over but you still hit the deck every so often. Glad to hear that you are fully active after doing both shoulders.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
When I separated my shoulder last year, I found slings to be totally worthless, and I couldn't find any protection that wasn't super bulky. However, I discovered this website on kinesio taping: http://www.kinesiotaping.com/chest.php

I found that three strips of tape (good wide medical stuff or high end duct tape) worked great to stabilize the shoulder. I never tested this setup in a hard crash, but it certainly made me feel stronger in that arm.