Quantcast

Achilles tendonitis sucks...

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
... big time.

My left achilles tendon makes problems since early February. After a couple of rides with my snowboard it hurt. The Achilles tendon was swollen, so after a week I went to the doc. He said that my Achilles tendon was inflamed due to a pressure point in my boots. The boots are in their third season and never made problems until this season.

So I did a physio therapy and since that time I choose to do no sport for a fast recovery.

Now about one and a half months later, I still have an akward feeling in left lower leg and a slight swell on the Achilles tendon. My physiotherapist said, it takes a lot of times to recover from an injury like that.
I still do physiotherapy. No sport at all at.

Had any monkey the same expirience? What can I do to improve the healing process?
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

JLStout

Chimp
Mar 12, 2010
Redding Ca
Rest, ice, ibuprofin. I ruptured my right one about 6 years ago. That is something that is very highly not recommended. I have had tendonitis in my left one off and on the last few years. What I have found is do not wear stiff soled shoes if you are walking! If you have stiff xc boy racer shoes for mtb, and you walk a lot, it will cause it to flare up. Also, if you play any sort of sports, try to stay away from cleats. The stiff soles on those will make it flare up too. The snowboarding probably caused it to flare up from the strain on the tendon, not a pressure issue.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I had the same thing happen from a hiking boot.

It just took time. I didn't do anything special kept hiking, climbing, riding etc. I have been more picky about boots and shoes since then.

For me it's not the sole or stiffness of a shoe that does it it's the shape of the heel.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Thanks guys.
Yeah the boot I've used was shaped to hold down the heel. Therefor it had a tight fit in the area of the tendon.

I don't have shoes with stiff soles at all. For biking I use 5.10 freeriders and normally I wear sneakers. Only my hiking boots are a bit stiffer, but I don't wear them that often.

@rockofullr: How long did it take until it was gone?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
~ 3 months (certain shoes bother the area years later though)

During that time I was working as a hiking/climbing guide so I never had time to rest.

Mostly it changed my choice of foot wear. I did a 3 day 40 mile backpacking trip in Chacos to avoid aggravating the injury with my hiking boots. For the most part I wore my Chacos as much as I could. I was also very conscious of taking my climbing shoe off as soon as I was done climbing.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I was fighting an achilles issue for years from my triathlon days. Last year I went and had a computerized shoe fit done at road runner sports. Turns out I had the right idea on the type of shoe I needed but I had been buying the standard off the shelf running shoe (D width)that most stores carry. I needed a wider shoe to prevent the over-pronation and resultant lateral flexion of the achilles. I was fitted into EE width neutral cushion shoe (New Balance 1080) and almost instantly the pain and irritation issues went away. Sometimes it is just a simple biomechanical correction

hhaarrison

Chimp
Jun 15, 2020
I have had plantar fasciitis before, and it was really painful. The moment my heel stepped on the ground, the pain spread all over my body, and it took a lot of rest for a few days to relieve until it disappeared. It is very necessary to take treatment or mitigation measures for plantar fasciitis, Ankle Compression Support Sleeves can do it well, maybe you need one.