Quantcast

Ack! Foodies beware!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Perhaps is old newz....delete if you wish...

Some money hungry moron filed a petition with the FDA to re-revise the way the US defines its standard foods...

Example: If petition approved, Chocolate would here by be subject to mutiliation by vegetable oil....So basically really disgusting fake, non-chocolate products would get to be called 'chocolate' on the supermarket walls. ICK!

Food is Food - not an industrial product.

Oh - and is anyone else studying this 100-mile diet thingy? We eat as local as possible (love the freshness)...but I'm struggling to find quality farmers markets up here...

Guess it all boils down to reading the label....
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2003825358_webchocolate07.html

http://www.chocolateusa.org/pdfs/Q-and-A-CMA-Standards-Questions.pdf

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Oh - and is anyone else studying this 100-mile diet thingy? We eat as local as possible (love the freshness)...but I'm struggling to find quality farmers markets up here...
I like the idea of it: trying to limit one's damage to the environment (carbon cost?). BUT, I am way too lazy to frequent the local farmers markets. Plus, even the local farmers markets (Fullerton, San Clemente) are packed with suppliers from out of the county. Farms in Orange County have been slowly been going the way of the dodo.

Have you read up on freegans? Now that's some wacky stuff!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
yea - the Freegans take things to a totally different level ! Kind of reminds me of college though...I definitely did my share of dumpster diving - and was never ashamed of snagging goodies from the trash. Heck - I even got one of those giant futon chairs (the ones shaped like an ice cream scoop) out of a dumpster once...Bit of lovin, washin, and it was good as new! :)

Re: the 100-mile thing - one interesting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/opinion/06mcwilliams.html?em&ex=1186632000&en=cccce399458618bb&ei=5087

Food that Travels well....makes things even More complicated ;)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

G
During the summer roughly 75% of our food comes from within 100 miles of us (thank you farmer's markets). I think this winter we may sign up for the CSA closest to us. Honestly after eating good produce, really produce all summer long, I am not going to be able to go back to buying the crap at the grocery.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Been buying a lot of produce from the Greenmarkets both in Brooklyn and Union Square lately. New Jersey really is the Garden State! Heck, I'm even drinking local. Besides the obvious (Brooklyn Brewery), there are some very passable Long Island wines out there. No, really.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Been buying a lot of produce from the Greenmarkets both in Brooklyn and Union Square lately. New Jersey really is the Garden State! Heck, I'm even drinking local. Besides the obvious (Brooklyn Brewery), there are some very passable Long Island wines out there. No, really.
Jersey has lots of good food- corn, tomatoes, eggplant, cranberries and blue berries are the most common things to find, but there's lots! We have a few decent farmer's markets around here