Quantcast

Ad-free Ridemonkey

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Ridemonkey: Just sent you $22. I only had $2.05 in my PayPal account, so I had to use a Credit Card transaction for part of the payment. The extra $2 is for the BS fee they charge for accepting CC transactions. Should be a net close to the $20. :cool:

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Ehm, what will the money actually go towards? To get away from banners completely in the future, get more bandwith, pay for upkeep or what?

I would consider paying $20 if i could get a more specific reason for this charge, and not just the perks it gets you who pay.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Paypal'ed!

1) Avatars: meh. bigger is nicer, but I would hate to increase the server load.
2) Custom titles: It's more special if you can't choose them, but I like the idea of evil points. Even better, let us choose temporary custom titles for non paying members. :evil:
3) Less ads... can't go wrong there.
4) More space for PM's, photos, or whatever. Sounds good to me.

In the end I am paying because I want to feel special. :D That and I am here everyday slacking off of work. Server space and bandwidth can get expensive. Not to mention the administrative work that needs to be done. 20 bucks to help RM keep RM running well sounds like a bargain to me.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Just sent in my 20 bux. I vote forum for posting uhhh "pretty pictures". And the ability to smite people, not sure how this would work but i just wanna smite someone on ridemonkey.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Basically what you get out of it is a faster RM...that is still here. It sounds like many of you are blissfully unaware about how much it actually costs (bandwidth, leased server etc) to run a site like this..

What will I get for my $20? You will get a website that is actually here..Those ads barely cover operations costs..some months they fall way short.

So in conclusion, quit whining and being an asshole by blocking ads, and help out, or go back to pinkbike.

splat

Nam I am
Transcend said:
It sounds like many of you are blissfully unaware about how much it actually costs (bandwidth, leased server etc) to run a site like this..

What will I get for my $20? You will get a website that is actually here..Those ads barely cover operations costs..some months they fall way short.

Bingo! that was the main reasons I signed up!

I am curious what it does cost to run the site , because I'm sure it is not cheap!

and I have noticed a Significant increase in the speed. :thumb:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
splat said:
I am curious what it does cost to run the site , because I'm sure it is not cheap!
Server prices have fallen a lot in the last couple years. Now I can get a server with plenty of BW, rsync backups, dual processors, and some other importan services for 400 a month. It's been more than a year since we have not broke even on expenses.

However, I would like to do better than break even so that I can add more site features and some of my time would be payed for. Also - there was a long period of time when server and BW expenses were almost 1000 per month and the site had no income. Still paying that off.......

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Hope there's not a minimum post count for this because I just sent the cash. I have been here for 2 1/2 years and although I have only 25 posts or so I am on here almost everyday checking things out. Thanks for a great site.

J

JRB

mogulskr said:
Hope there's not a minimum post count for this because I just sent the cash. I have been here for 2 1/2 years and although I have only 25 posts or so I am on here almost everyday checking things out. Thanks for a great site.
No worries. I think there are several of us that have you covered. :think:

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
What are these evil point you talk about? I think it would be cool if it said premium member somewhere around our avatars. I also like how MTBR forums are because there are no pages, all the posts are on 1 page which is super cool! I will be upgrading once I run out of picture space!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I personally could care less about even more PM space. Now I have 125 and I never went over the 75 before. I would like to see the time clock fixed and the time between PM's and posts shortened a bit...I do like the faster load time though....D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
merrrrjig said:
What are these evil point you talk about? I think it would be cool if it said premium member somewhere around our avatars. I also like how MTBR forums are because there are no pages, all the posts are on 1 page which is super cool! I will be upgrading once I run out of picture space!
All the posts are on one page? How does that work if there are 100's or 1000's of replies?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
So when is the premium member only forum going into effect im bored and need something new to surf in :p

BTW its worth the 20 bux its a lot faster now.