Quantcast

Adhesive for a helmet

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the structural integrity of the helmet. I can see replacing the helmet just because of a loose Velcro tab I understand the safety thing but that is not an issue here. I have been getting advice on what to do and a lot of experienced people are telling me to use superglue. I'm going to try that and if I can remember I’ll check back in with the results.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Umm, Ton you will find that super glue will have this nasty tendency to eat away at the foam. I hope that it's not too late...

I would use an adhesive that is safe for styrofoam products. This will most likely be a long-cure adhesive - ususally a 24 hour cure which can make waiting to go ride maddeneing. Not that you ride that often... :wink:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

Umm, Ton you will find that super glue will have this nasty tendency to eat away at the foam. I hope that it's not too late...

I would use an adhesive that is safe for styrofoam products. This will most likely be a long-cure adhesive - ususally a 24 hour cure which can make waiting to go ride maddeneing. Not that you ride that often... :wink:
Yea that’s what I understand about it too. But I have heard from several people that say they have used it themselves and also from a bunch of very reliable wrenches. I’m pretty sure the packing Styrofoam and helmet Styrofoam is different. I’m going to do a test patch in an unessential area then do the real thing if it works out.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Go to a hardware store and buy some heavy duty velcro in the self adhesive variety. Remove the old hunk and clean off all residue with something benign like alcohol. Cut a hunk of the new stuff and stick it in place but let it sit overnight. This is a huge peev of mine. Stick on velcro does not last particularly for pads or strap affairs where there is any pushing on the velcro. Body heat and sweat seems to melt the glue for me. Every helmet I have ever had, and that would be many, has had this problem. The pads themselves last me about 6 months before they fall apart.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
Guaranteed to work. First cleant he areas real weel. I have used with sucess- rubber cement (not patch glue- the craft variety) , hot glue gun or shoe goo. If you don't have a hot gun, Just drop into any craft store, they usually have one heated up and ready to go and with a little sweet talking they will dab you some for free probably (and they will mostl likely have velcro too!)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I hope you bought the heavy duty industrial strength kind. The hook part is much more coarse and the plastic backing is thicker. I find the glue is better too.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by The Toninator
i went to bigK(maybe for the last time) and bought some pre-stickied velcro tabs. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
thanks for the help
Just clean the surface real well before you put the new Velcro on. You should be good to go.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
The velcro tabs worked. I didnt have any problems with the helemet all weekend and it kept snug and tight. I did a 12 hour race and it held. I have not put the light on yet but dont expect any problems.
Thanks all
t

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Use automotive glue (the kind that's used to glue cracks or whatever back together in your car)...it's so strong it's stupid and it dries in an hour or so. But I don't know if it'll eat your helmet though.