Quantcast

Adjustable Seatpost -- Yay or Nay???

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2012 Specialized SX Trail (yay!!!). So far, I'm really liking it, though I haven't been able to exactly ride it in the mountains yet (too much snow). One drawback I've noticed so far is that the existing seatpost isn't quite long enough for real climbing.

I do a lot of out and back riding on fairly steep trails -- most of the trails around here are "grind to the top then burn on the way down" kind of deals. I will NEED a new seatpost. Therein lies the dilemma. I've got people recommending the Gravity Dropper and/or other telescopic seatposts. Saying they're the best things since sliced bread and all that.

However, I've dropped a lot of cash on this bike (at least for me), and I'm not exactly thrilled about dropping another ~$300 on a seatpost. How much of a benefit could they really be? Most of the time, I just leave my post up high and then slam it way down for the descents. I don't normally have to adjust it until the summit. Plus, looking at a few models online, it looks like a lot of them only drop 3." Compared to normal climbing height, that's not enough for true DH handling. Are these seatposts worth a look or will I be just as happy with a nice, lightweight Thompson?

Last edited:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Droppers are the best thing since sliced bread if you riding trails with lots quick ups and downs. It sounds like thats not the type of trails you are on, so you would never see the full benefit of a dropper.

Not sure where you are looking, but most dropper posts have 5" of movement.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
^^Thanks, that's more or less what I was thinking. I'm sure it would be nice, but for the trails I ride, I think my money might be better spent on other accessories. I'm gonna try to get this bike down to around 34 pounds without sacrificing strength/burlyness.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Look for a KS i900/950 or the Dropzone for less than $200 on the Pinkbike buy and sell (or elsewhere). No reason to quite spend $300, there are other options.

They are great. I haven't had a single punch to the nether region from my seat since getting mine. After you use it a few times, the motions of working the seat become second nature and you will never look back. If you are worried about the extra pound, just eat a handful of prunes the night before and take a dump in the morning before riding.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I have a reverb. its worth ever penny
not a dropper post owner myself (i just dont do that type of riding), but if there is one dropper post that ive noticed that people love.. its the reverb.

if i had to get a dropper, id defo try that one out first.. i actually had no idea that its the only infinitely adjustable dropper post. thats the way they all should be if im paying that much for a seat post!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
There's always the old telescoping posts, for full up/full down, sounds like it fits what you need for cheap:

http://www.bikewagon.com/titec-el-norte-scoper-mtb-expert-qr-seatpost-30-9mm-350mm-fr-dh?CAWELAID=1889654882&catargetid=1873742397&"cagpspn=pla"&gclid=CPbVxp2rm7YCFe1_Qgodd3UACQ

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Thanks for all the replies guys -- but I think for now i'm just going to replace it with a cheapish longer post and spend my money on going tubeless, some new knee-pads, maybe a new stem and other bling. As I said originally, on most of my rides, I only adjust the seatpost once anyway. ~$300 is a lot to spend to save myself that minor hassle.

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
You climb/grind to the top. Then burn on the way down. Sounds like a climb with a DH treat at the top. Save the 300 bucks. When you get to the top. Slam the seat as low as it can go and burn baby burn.
Telescoping seat post are for trails that go up and down constantly. And they tend to fail. And they are heavy! and they cost around 300 bucks.
Thompson seat post is far more durable , lighter and they look good:)

gawdodirt

Chimp
Dec 14, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Great thread! Very topical for us here in AZ. Our ride areas have the up then down treats before you get any real dh . You can go from grind to shred in two pedal strokes. At first I laughed at my sons Specialized dropper on his Enduro. Then I tried it and what a difference it makes. Sure it is nice to take a break and set the post low for the shred. But when it's short ups and downs, you're never in the right position for either. I bought a dropper for my Heckler and loved it. Then I bought a 2007 VP Free and hated it until I got another dropper for it. It does have 2 rings up front and I do pedal it uphill. The dropper makes it rideable in most all conditions.
I purchased a Specialized Blacklite 125mm for both of my bikes and will never look back. Best $200 spent so far for each bike.

BUT beware if you hit the eject button at the wrong time! It will make you cry like a little girl when it smacks you in the pills, and you're not ready. You can play with the air pressure to slow it's response, but then you slowed it's response. So far , I've not had any extreme side to side sloppiness that reviews complained of. AND, I apparently run it backwards as my cable is on the rear of the post. It does not bind on the top tube and is still not cramped or kinked.
It is heavier than the Thompson Elite I took off, but a good 2 lb. crap before a ride and I'm lighter then what it cost me! After all, I'm pedaling a 38 lb. bike. So I don't complain. Much...

GD

Last edited: