Quantcast

Advantages of Carbon Handlebars--Vibration?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Vibration damping? Seriously? If you are riding a road it might attenuate some frequencies (when you have no suspension and your whole bike is rigid), but on a trail?, that and "snapping" are the dumbest things I hear about carbon bars. Been rocking the carbon bars for years now.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Vibration damping? Seriously? If you are riding a road it might attenuate some frequencies (when you have no suspension and your whole bike is rigid), but on a trail?, that and "snapping" are the dumbest things I hear about carbon bars. Been rocking the carbon bars for years now.
I definitely felt a difference. Not so much getting them but switching back to alu. Hands were just more sore in general for a few weeks. And it makes a perfect sense: The old hitting an metal symbol vs hitting a plastic one. But I only buy into this because hands are almost in direct contact with the bar. For frame/wheels I'm still skeptical...

Aug 4, 2008
@JM_: Dude, some of us live in alpine areas with 1000m+ vertical descent trails, plus having a bike setup for fast riding (firm compression!) tends to induce quite some chatter vibration, which is even worse if the trails you ride contain a lot of brake bumps/rocks (think alps/bikeparks/WC races).

If you ask me - vibration absorption is a topic as fitting DH as road. I do quite a bit of road riding and carbon makes life way better on road , but I get way more shaken up riding DH.

I sincerely believe that carbon V10 is more enjoyable comparing to aluminum. I would love to use carbon bars - but I'm affraid I cannot trust the manufacturers - yet.

I have seen way more broken carbon bars, literally JRA, than alloy. I have yet to see someone break an alu bar that wasn't giving away signs that it will break (bent?).

Aug 4, 2008
Wa-Aw: take a ride on ALU road bike, then take a ride on carbon and come back to report.

Also steel has this same damping quality to it or titanium. ALU is just about the worst ride of quality material you can get - but it is great for power transfer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I definitely felt a difference. Not so much getting them but switching back to alu. Hands were just more sore in general for a few weeks. And it makes a perfect sense: The old hitting an metal symbol vs hitting a plastic one. But I only buy into this because hands are almost in direct contact with the bar. For frame/wheels I'm still skeptical...
Probably due to different sweep, or rise, or reach, or some other factor.

Do the guys saying they only have 1000m decents, we have a few 1300-1500m descents in this state, so yes, we have some pretty long ones.