Quantcast

Advice Please

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Need some advice please.Getting back into xc riding pretty serious and just wondering what heart range is best to train in. A little background I am 34 , 6ft, 166 lbs, 12% body fat. My resting heart rate is in the high 40,s.Just trying to get a little more scientific in my training.Thanks:help:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You need to find out what your max is and train down from that at between 75% and 90% depending on your goals for each particular workout. You need to fall into a constant cycle of building and recovery.

I do endurance activities and have a fairly high max for my age but, scaled back by 10%, I think it should be a decent start for you.

I generally do not train for anything in particular - I try to maintain a fitness level that will allow me to run a 50K or do a 100 mile road ride whenever I feel the urge - in the summer that's pretty much every weekend.

On the day of the event I will push myself at 177 for long efforts lasting several hours. This is an average - my range is typically 163 to 185. If needed I will push up to 193 but this is costly interms of recovery. These events usually last 4 to 7 hours.

The Monday after an epic I try to keep it under 155 but always do some form of active recovery for 40 minutes to an hour.

Tuesdays are almost always rest days for me.

Wednesdays I will do a 30 mile road bike ride or a 10 mile run - my heart rate is usually in the 165 range for 80 to 90 minutes.

Thursdays are mountain bike cadrio days. I'll push very hard, balls to the wall for an hour at 175 to 190 either pedaling very fast or climbing hard.

Fridays are screw off days trail riding, maybe a shuttle - doesn't matter as long as I get a couple of fun hours in.

Saturdays I will usually run for 5 miles at 85% in the morning and ride at 75% for an hour or so in the afternoon.

I don't usually train for anything specific so what works for me is probably not a good idea for straight XC racing but it keeps me in good form and ready for anything that might come my way.

I also sleep up to 10 hours a day, I am fortunate that I do not have to be up at any particular hour. I will sleep until I feel rested. Mostly just 8 hours but sometimes 10 after a hard event. Sleep and rest are also key elements in training.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by GravityFreakTJ
Dang dude you must be the fittest guy in the world.anyway what is the best way to determine my max.Want it to be accurate,not sure that 220-age=mhr is that accurate.
Ha! Hardly the fittest but hopefully I am on my way. ;)

The only way I know to determine your max is by running. This method will work even if you are not a runner. It's based on effort and not speed.

Go to your local track and a run two laps at a very easy, warm up pace and then walk one full lap. This should have your body warmed up and ready for the test which also is 3 laps. Start off slow and and get your groove, concentrate on deep, even breathing and steadily increase your speed for two laps. When you hit your third lap go all out with as much effort as you can, both your legs and your lungs should be burning but don't back off - push harder. You will reach your max just before you start to crash and burn. When you do don't stop running - cool down for at least 2 laps even if it's just walking.

I am sure you could do this on a bike with a monster climb but... bicycling is a lower body activity - running involves your entire body and is a more accurate reflection of where you are at.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Thanks for the info.I'll give it a go at the local track this weekend.Going to be tough,I haven't done much running since high school cross country.Actually love to run but knee surgery and the pounding it takes while running have pretty much forced me to give it up:( .