Quantcast

aerobars for comfort?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've been grabbing the hoods and leaning on the tops with my forearms lately for a change and it seems like I'm more comfortable, so i thought I should explore aerobars.

any experience or insight?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
The only problem with that is that it takes your hands to a position a loooong way from your brakes, takes your CG really far forward which has a negative effect on stability and pedal efficiency and puts your weight on your perinium rather than sit bones.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The answer is yes. Aero bars set up as they were intended are not comfortable and take some getting used too. They are designed to pull you back down while constricting your shoulders so as to lesson your aerodynamic profile.

If you set the clip-ons wide enough so that they do not constrict your shoulder and your handlebars are at touring height - you can ride all day in wannabe triathlete style and comfort. :thumb:

I do use them for long solo rides but I strongly advise against even having them on your bike during organized club rides and events.

Braking is a non issue - if you are riding in conditions where you'll be needing your brakes then you have no business using your aero bars.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
What about it? You adapt to the conditions at hand. :monkey:
I mean, are aerobars functional when climbing for comfort purposes. As you know, there are long stretches (10+miles) here of consistent grade.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I don't know about aerobars for climbing, I tend to pull on my bars a bit when climbing. There are definitely sections that you can use aerobars for but you have to keep in mind that often the pads get in the way of the top part of your bar. So you eliminate a little useful space on your drop bar.
If you are getting aerobars I would look at something like the Visiontec Mini Clip on's. They are small and not too stretched out.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
LordOpie said:
I mean, are aerobars functional when climbing for comfort purposes. As you know, there are long stretches (10+miles) here of consistent grade.

I would say no, When you climb, don't you want your arms as open as possible to allow yourself to breathe easier?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I should clarify that I don't climb, I just ride up mountains. The only time I get out of my saddle and really climb is around steep switchbacks.

I couldn't find anything on google about Visiontec Mini Clip?

I guess what I'm really looking for is pads to expand the surface area for my forearm at the ends of the bars and I can continue holding the top of the hoods.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
I should clarify that I don't climb, I just ride up mountains. The only time I get out of my saddle and really climb is around steep switchbacks.

I couldn't find anything on google about Visiontec Mini Clip?

I guess what I'm really looking for is pads to expand the surface area for my forearm at the ends of the bars and I can continue holding the top of the hoods.
hehehe.. wear some DH elbow pads. You can also try pipe insulation. Just wrap your flats w/ some of that stuff. $5.00 will get you WAY more than you'll EVER need :D

Edit: Seriously tho, what about some BMX padding?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
LordOpie said:
The answer is still yes - if you can normally climb it without getting out of the saddle then you can climb it with aero bars as well. Aero bars take a little getting used to but with them spaced wide enough I am sure you will find them comfortable and, since you are still gripping the forward end of the aero bars, you will find that they are easy enough to control.

I use Syntace C2s which are light weight and come on and off pretty easily, you can see them on my trusty Univega Superpoo.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks guys!

The first thing I need to do is actually go look at some aerobars in person. The catalog looks like some of them might be able to be taken apart. If I can do what I'm thinking, i'll post photos.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Hey Op, not sure you wanna be using the bars when climbing. Best position is hands on top of the bars to open chest and allow the pelvis to shift back onto saddle to enable the legs to reach out and grab and pull back on the pedals. I took my profile airstrykes off my road bike when I read articles a couple of years ago about cycling and impotence. You wanna get more comfortable on long climbs? Ride more amigo! (and do some ab work or core muscle work).