Quantcast

aerobars

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I can't tell, but do the arm rests flip up when you move your arms to the drops? If so that can be very annoying when you are in the drops. Also if they don't flip up you cut down on the amount of flat space on your bars dramatically

Are you looking at them for racing tri's and time trials or do you want them as a training tool? Because as a training tool clip-ons suck. They are bulky, get in the way and can really screw with the way you fit on the bike without giving much of an advantage. Plus you can't shift or brake from them so they are rather unsafe. Did I mention that they are fairly unstable as well?

The Ito

ito said:
I can't tell, but do the arm rests flip up when you move your arms to the drops? If so that can be very annoying when you are in the drops. Also if they don't flip up you cut down on the amount of flat space on your bars dramatically

Are you looking at them for racing tri's and time trials or do you want them as a training tool? Because as a training tool clip-ons suck. They are bulky, get in the way and can really screw with the way you fit on the bike without giving much of an advantage. Plus you can't shift or brake from them so they are rather unsafe. Did I mention that they are fairly unstable as well?

The Ito
hmf. Just for training.

I guess I have no idea what I'm looking for then, do I?

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
LordOpie said:
What about using them for comfort on long rides?

I mean, they're cheap enough, yeah?
Comfort? Having the nose of your seat jammed up your behind for an extended period time is not something I would do for comfort. The eventual lower back pain is also annoying.

But I suppose if you lived someplace extremely windy, then it might be somewhat worthwhile to play around with. Otherwise, you might as well embrace the aerodynamic disadvantage as a training tool to help you gain more resistance.

Otherwise, save it for the TT's and tri's. Though, to answer the question in the thread, that bar would work fine, besides maybe being a little heavier than some of the mor expensive ones, if you've got the 40 bucks or so lying around waiting to be spent, go ahead and try it out.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
axlvid23 said:
Comfort? Having the nose of your seat jammed up your behind for an extended period time is not something I would do for comfort. The eventual lower back pain is also annoying.
Well, I was looking for feedback on those particular bars.

I know people use them on tours and RAAMs for comfort and to change positions, so I know people use them that way. I was wondering if these bars were good enough to try or if they're pretty much crap?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
MtnBikerChk said:
Does anybody have these from supergo? http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?lProd_id=26333 I'm wondering if they'll do. I really like the profile airstrykes but I don't want to spend the money.

:)
My guess would be no - there is too much going on with that rig, simple is best. Try this Syntace Streamliner for under $100.00. Over the years I have found Profile Designs low end stuff to be crap.

Also there appears to be no size option for the Profile Design model. Supergo has the C2 for under $120.00. Go ahead, you deserve it. :D :D :D

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
MtnBikerChk said:
well, you're right.

I am.

;)

Actually they adjust length, that's why there is only one size. I personally hate the flip ups. They rattle like crazy when your going over rough stuff. It depends what you want....the Syntace give you better width adjustment...but the profiles have a better length adjustment. Personally I like the length. I have a girl i coach that has them and see likes them alot.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not that you want to be trendy, but the Euro road guys just lie their forearms on the tops of the regular bars, and get into a tuck that way. I like to hold onto my shifter cables (if you run Shimano) for added security, but I am usually careful when I tuck in...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sanjuro said:
Not that you want to be trendy, but the Euro road guys just lie their forearms on the tops of the regular bars, and get into a tuck that way. I like to hold onto my shifter cables (if you run Shimano) for added security, but I am usually careful when I tuck in...
I do that too, but my forearms get numb sometimes.

Viva la Shimano cabling! :D

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Serial Midget said:
Yes, in the case of those particular aero bars - that is what I am saying. Simple is better. :)

I disagree, there are two reasons to put them on, comfort or aerodynamics in both cases i want to have the ability to set them up exactly the way i want them. I even go a stem farther and only use bars that are two pieces, so i can set them exactly the way I want them.