Quantcast

Air shock for heavy riders???

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Okay, here is an attempt at using the spanking new "XC" forum.

Now that I have the AC, I want to rebuild my Isis as a lightweight play thing....not sure XC is the right term for my aspirations, but lighter than its current 35lbs....around 28 is my goal (without getting rid of the discs). The problem: I am way skittish about riding an air shock. I weigh 210+ with gear, and tend to beat up my bikes. I have heard too many horror stories of air shock blowing out and screwing rides....soooooo, what are the heavier riders out there running on their "XC" bikes?:confused:

Option #2 is to take it out in the city and attempt to break it as quickly as possible!:p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a 200 LB plus buddy who runs a Cane Creek AD10 on his Sugar II - as far as I know he has had no problems with it.

I also understand the the Stratos XC pro is reliable, I like mine but I weight 155.

I know of a Fox Float that blew prematurely - the guy who had it weighs about 145 and always kept the rubber on the ground.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I use a Fox Float RLC on my XC bike, I go about 185. Probably close to 195 with a full camelbak. Never had a problem with the shock leaking or blowing up. :)

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Cane creek huh? I'll check out thier site. I love my Swinger coil, I'm wondering about the durability to hook up the Isiswith an air version...but, thats still on the heavy side for an air shock.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK, better example :D

A buddy of mine had a Giant AC Air. It had a Rock Shox air shock on it.

This guy's nickname is Big Jake. He's lost some poundage since then, but when he was riding the AC Air, he went about 220. He put a 8" travel triple clamp fork on that bike and went insane.

Big Jake's a bit of a tard when it comes to drops. Loves big wheelie drops and huge drops to flat. He did some things on urban rides that people didn't think were possible. He wouldn't get along with some people on this board :D

I'd venture to say he gave that AC Air frame, and the air shock, one of the hardest beatings you can give. During the time he was abusing that shock, my buddy with an AC1 sent his Rock Shox coil shock in for service 3 times. And he didn't go nearly as big as Big Jake.

The air shock never had a single problem. Still works to this day :thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Echo
I use a Fox Float RLC on my XC bike, I go about 185. Probably close to 195 with a full camelbak. Never had a problem with the shock leaking or blowing up. :)
What model year? I did a lot of research before selecting my air shock. I read many fox float reviews that referred to leakage of pressure and oil, constant rebuilds and faulty seals. My top two were Cane Creek AD10 and the Stratos XC Pro, I choose Stratos for the remote lock out.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC

This guy's nickname is Big Jake. He's lost some poundage since then, but when he was riding the AC Air, he went about 220. He put a 8" travel triple clamp fork on that bike and went insane.
Big Jake = Big Echo before weight loss?

:monkey:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Big Jake = Big Echo before weight loss?

:monkey:
Ha, nope. Big Jake lost all his weight when his wife left him :(

But overall he's better off without the wife, and definitely better off without the weight :thumb:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Ha, nope. Big Jake lost all his weight when his wife left him :(

But overall he's better off without the wife, and definitely better off without the weight :thumb:
I'll have to take Big Jake's story to heart man.:think: But you know I ain't gittin' on no RS shock!:eek: It took weeks of deliberation just to buy a bike with a Psylo XC on it.....jury's still out on that one (thank god for the thru axel!;) )

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by VTinCT
I'll have to take Big Jake's story to heart man.:think: But you know I ain't gittin' on no RS shock!:eek: It took weeks of deliberation just to buy a bike with a Psylo XC on it.....jury's still out on that one (thank god for the thru axel!;) )
read these...

If you select this shock don't get the factory remote option. An old XT indexed thumb shifter works waaaaaaay better.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey i've used a Cane Creek Cloud Nine (which is just an AD-12 with a lockout) It has performed sufficeintly for me on my I-drive. I'm 220 plus and demand alot from my trail bike. You can't go wrong with the AD-12 or AD-10. Just get a feel for what kind of air pressure you like, then you have your standard external compression and rebound adjustments. When you get them dialed in just right, you'll forget all about your spring coil oil shock.
They've come along way with the technology it's safe to get now. Cane Creek has excellent customer service too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
I am just waiting for this thread to become live by mid summer with blown out shock images...

:devil:
If my Cane Creek was gonna fail it would have, i beat on it for about a year and it never even developed a slow leak. Now the Manitou on the Giant VT well we'll just have to wait and see won't we.:devil:

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
Originally posted by Skookum
If my Cane Creek was gonna fail it would have, i beat on it for about a year and it never even developed a slow leak. Now the Manitou on the Giant VT well we'll just have to wait and see won't we.:devil:
i am glad there are people out there willing to be a test guinea pig for those new fox shox and the like. From what I have seen they are trying to sell off all of these all mountain bikes that used to have coil last year with air. I think these manufacturers are doing either one of two things:

1) calling mtbers wusses that don't really ride big bikes

2) bragging about how much money they have been making from air shocks over the past few years.

I want to see the carnage when it happens and it will...I know it is still going to come...