Quantcast

airborne wingman?

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
What's everyones real opinion on this bike? To good to be true or just not what people are looking for? I hardly see any riders talk about it and the only reviews it has is from airbornes flight crew members. Is this a legitemate bike for dj and some street fun? Is airborne like the generic brand or something? Looking for real feedback so let's hear it fellas.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Hey Trav co ... I am reviewing one right now and I can tell you that I have put it in many peoples hands to get a mix of feedback. It is damn impressive for the pricepoint .... There are things I would tweak but you really cant beat it unless you find a killer deal on a barely ridden used DJ .... I have let BMX'ers ride it at the skatepark, took it to pumptracks, let some DH'ers ride it, etc.

Our initial impressions review probably wont drop till Monday of next week but we like it. PM me if you have any specific questions.

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Hey thanks for the reply! I have specific questions but rather than be the messenger since others are curious I would rather ask here that way everyone can see who is interested. I and others on mtbr.com were curious about the rear dropout being weak as it looks a little weak and as for the frame being on par. Also the top tube was a little smaller and the angle was steeper than most. Basically I am just curious on how it holds up to real abuse. How it would compare to other bikes in its class and so forth

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Also if the cranks it has are euro specific then does it only accept euro cranks or will it take others? I know with bikes and aluminum frames they are all virtually the same with materials from china and the only thing different is the components

ATXguy

Chimp
Mar 21, 2012
Austin
Also if the cranks it has are euro specific then does it only accept euro cranks or will it take others? I know with bikes and aluminum frames they are all virtually the same with materials from china and the only thing different is the components
From looking at the specs the complete comes with a 48 splined 19mm spindle used with a euro bottom bracket. My atomlab uses a euro bottom bracket as well, I run a euro bottom bracket with external bearing cups for larger Spanish style bearings. So for the bottom bracket that comes with that bike you can run bmx style cranks with 19mm spindle. If you wanted to switch I am pretty sure you could run any crankset that is compatable with a euro bottom bracket .

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
From looking at the specs the complete comes with a 48 splined 19mm spindle used with a euro bottom bracket. My atomlab uses a euro bottom bracket as well, I run a euro bottom bracket with external bearing cups for larger Spanish style bearings. So for the bottom bracket that comes with that bike you can run bmx style cranks with 19mm spindle. If you wanted to switch I am pretty sure you could run any crankset that is compatable with a euro bottom bracket .
Ahh perfect sense I believe a lot of 24seven bikes use the euro bottom bracket. What's your take on this bike man? My further google searching stated that Airborne is one in the same company with Huffy.. I have noticed really all the reviews are from people getting a free bike under the airborne flight crew deal they offer. So that leads me to believe the users won't say anything bad because they got a free bike or free gear. Not downing them but in todays society I don't believe everything I see or hear and that's why I stay pretty much with local shops so I can ride before I buy lol.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Hey thanks for the reply! I have specific questions but rather than be the messenger since others are curious I would rather ask here that way everyone can see who is interested. I and others on mtbr.com were curious about the rear dropout being weak as it looks a little weak and as for the frame being on par. Also the top tube was a little smaller and the angle was steeper than most. Basically I am just curious on how it holds up to real abuse. How it would compare to other bikes in its class and so forth
Our goal at TheDirtyWheel is to be as honest and thorough as possible, that being said we have been in possession of the Wingman for 3 weeks. While we have been beating the living hell out of it, I am not sure I can compare the rear dropouts durability to other bikes. It has seen Skate Park duty, DJ Duty, PumpTrack Duty and been unfortunate enough to have my fatass pound on it. I am a 6'2 240 fatguy and I have landed flat and generally been abusive since I am the least experience jumper out of the riders that have been testing it. I am assuming that one of the cost factors in putting this bike together for Airborne was maximizing their process which I assume is why they went with a ONE SIZE FITS ALL frame. Personally at 6'2 I am just about the maximum height for this bike and have only
felt it a tad small once or twice... take that into consideration. For me personally I was considered with the slightly steeper angle but the short chainstays make this a fun ride that comes around very nicely.

ATXguy answered this .... This is a very common bmx setup and gives you enough flexibility down the line if you want to upgrade.

My further google searching stated that Airborne is one in the same company with Huffy.. I have noticed really all the reviews are from people getting a free bike under the airborne flight crew deal they offer. So that leads me to believe the users won't say anything bad because they got a free bike or free gear. Not downing them but in todays society I don't believe everything I see or hear and that's why I stay pretty much with local shops so I can ride before I buy lol.
As a consumer this is probably that biggest hurdle you are going to have to make and for Airborne its one of their biggest challenges. Obviously a lot of bikes all come out of the same factories in China and while they are technically connected to Huffy .... the bike comes down to price/spec for us. For all the Wingman reviews out there on forums to make you leary ... I know I have never personally read a bad review on any of Airbornes new line of bikes. I don't want to drop our full review here before next week but would I buy this bike .... YES. While I completely understand your concern for reviews coming from within their house .... I would tell you that DECLINE MAGAZINE, MBA, and a few other magazines have given this bike great reviews FOR THE PRICE and that was before it dropped from $749 to $669. The belief we have here at TDW from a strictly price issue is that looking only at component spec, you will not find a comparable spec'd bike unless you score a sweet deal on an older model DJ bike sitting in a LBS. Obviously as I mentioned in my first post I have let a ton of random riders have at it so that we can give our opinions but also share others experiences and thoughts giving you a more solid review.

We just reviewed GNAR LUBE and I put it in the hands of a mechanic I know at Intense Cycles to get his take. I am testing an energy product and have also placed it into the hands of a local track coach that is an ironman competitor.

Hope this gives you some insight.... You have to make the hard choice with your wallet and confidence.

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Well thanks man! Some very good info you have there. I am anxious to see the full review. I am trying to get in touch with a guy down here in colorado that has one to see if I can rip it up some... pun intended lol. As for all bikes beibg made in china I was just always under the assumption that good bikes were from tiawan and sub par bikes were china.. but I was always told not to be an ass for assuming lol. I gues I'm just gonna have to be patient and see what happens later on. My scott voltage is holding me over pretty well for now anyway.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Just to clarify, the mid BB is the current standard as far as BMX BB's go, with Spanish BB's being the next option. Euro BB have gone by the way side a few years ago

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
For those that may have been curious here was the final review we put together WINGMAN . I must say we have been pretty happy with the bike and plan on employing it in an upcoming feature on pumptracks.