Quantcast

al zawahiri

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
There is a difference between a right to live, and deserving to die. Zawahiri fell in the latter.
He was the ideological architect of an action that immediately killed thousands of innocent lives, which then went on to kill hundreds of thousands (?) of Iraquí lives. (In a tangential way).
No quarter for that.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
There is a difference between a right to live, and deserving to die. Zawahiri fell in the latter.
He was the ideological architect of an action that immediately killed thousands of innocent lives, which then went on to kill hundreds of thousands (?) of Iraquí lives. (In a tangential way).
No quarter for that.

Wow..... :twitch::doh:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
What, you think he was going to get extradited and tried?
and yes, I am aware of the US’ culpability in Iraq, but that wasn’t my point. Zawahari and Bin Ladin set the events in motion, ultimately. Unless, of course, you want to go back to the British carving up the ME, or what have you.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
If you don’t mind, can we discuss your distaste for this action? My feeling is that you are opposed mostly because it was done by The Great Satan, and as such, is abhorrent. But you would likely feel very differently if Zawahiri had perpetrated the deaths of 3000 New Zealanders on home soil.

‘Murica has it’s contemptible problems, but do you feel that 9/11 should simply go unanswered?
That doesn’t seem right, either. You know I’m no ‘Rah, Rah, USA’ type, in any way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So does this mean we have finally won The Middle East™ ?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
‘Murica has it’s contemptible problems, but do you feel that 9/11 should simply go unanswered?
That doesn’t seem right, either. You know I’m no ‘Rah, Rah, USA’ type, in any way.
Here's the problem I have. Maybe this one dude should have been hunted down, but we lost what, 3000' people take or give a bit? Now, how many have we killed directly and indirectly as a result of wars in two countries? Lets just say it's exponentially higher. It's so insanely asymmetrical it's disgusting. And with that, we keep the cycle going, creating the next generation of terrorists that will take up arms against our country.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Here's the problem I have. Maybe this one dude should have been hunted down, but we lost what, 3000' people take or give a bit? Now, how many have we killed directly and indirectly as a result of wars in two countries? Lets just say it's exponentially higher. It's so insanely asymmetrical it's disgusting. And with that, we keep the cycle going, creating the next generation of terrorists that will take up arms against our country.
Fair point. But at what point do we just wash our hands of it?
Maybe now?
or are we doomed to repeat the mistake of poking the bear?

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
“But if we don’t take action, we’ll look weak

“An eye for an eye!”

“But they killed 1000s of innocent people!”

What a bunch of horseshit! To be clear my best friend, his wife and my Aunt were working in the towers on 9-11. So, admittedly, my first reaction was “bomb all the brown people” into oblivion, but that only lasted right up until I heard W say “they hate us for our freedom…” on TV that night…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fair point. But at what point do we just wash our hands of it?
Asymmetrical response is the issue. As I said,, yeah they can probably hunt a few of these people down...but the idea that we are going to dismantle these countries and "change them" is ridiculous...hell, the recent exit of Afghanistan shows that. And not even that asymmetrical response is totally bad...but the scale of it is just absolutely insane and what do we get from it? Like, have we gone back to non-TSA days? Nope.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sure, they are complex situations...but our knee-jerk reaction went totally off the deep-end insane.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
8F6A57EC-00D3-4363-BE8D-A45AA87F789D.jpeg

Taken out with a non-explosive Hellfire with 6 blades. A kinetic weapon that cuts through cars. Kinda cyberpunk.