Quantcast

Alfine 11 for hardtail trail/DH bike?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
From time to time I enjoy riding all my favorite SC trails on my dirt jumper... I've been doing this again lately and it makes me want to build a dedicated trail hardtail.

Is anyone using an Alfine 11 on a real MTB? Thoughts, reactions, concerns?

Anyone using belt drive...?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
No to both I'm pretty sure. I'm using an 8 speed Alfine, and a Nuvinci, both are stronger than 11 Alfine. I'm waiting for a Nicolai hardtail with Pinion. Or I'm considering getting a frame made with Nuvinci mounted above BB.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
No to both I'm pretty sure. I'm using an 8 speed Alfine, and a Nuvinci, both are stronger than 11 Alfine. I'm waiting for a Nicolai hardtail with Pinion. Or I'm considering getting a frame made with Nuvinci mounted above BB.
Stronger how? Axle? Flange? Engagement?

My understanding (admittedly from reading marketing & forum perusal) is that the 11 is an improvement over the 8 in all ways: lighter, better engagement, oil bath for better durability... no?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Stronger how? Axle? Flange? Engagement?

My understanding (admittedly from reading marketing & forum perusal) is that the 11 is an improvement over the 8 in all ways: lighter, better engagement, oil bath for better durability... no?
8speed has better clutch, and can be made oil bath for more efficiency, and smoother shifting. Zerode now add a small oil port to their 8speeds for oil.
Nuvinci, and Rohloff are most reliable.
Pinion has widest range.
Go to http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/ to learn more.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
^ Gotcha... did you make your 8 oil bath? Why no on belt drive?

Also, Nuvinci... particular model you suggest looking at?
Why would you belt drive? Chains with gearbox hubs are running straight and not being twisted and rammed into other sprockets so they last well over 3 times longer.
Nuvinci 360.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
^ Well... for me chain life has always been dictated by torque, rather than wear. I've snapped so many friggin' chains & cranks in the last 15 years it's gone from funny to not-funny back to funny again. I had an anxiety attack when the industry went 9 speed... this 10 speed stuff is downright scary. And BBs... I was averaging 2 per week when tapered was standard. This is all from pedaling, not hard landings.

So, I guess that's why belt drive. It's strong right? And you don't have to lube it?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
^ Well... for me chain life has always been dictated by torque, rather than wear. I've snapped so many friggin' chains & cranks in the last 15 years it's gone from funny to not-funny back to funny again. I had an anxiety attack when the industry went 9 speed... this 10 speed stuff is downright scary. And BBs... I was averaging 2 per week when tapered was standard. This is all from pedaling, not hard landings.

So, I guess that's why belt drive. It's strong right? And you don't have to lube it?
Get a BMX or track chain.
Do your own research on belts. I'm yet to read anything good about them. and not sure if they'll jump with your torque.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Ok thanks, good info all around.

Is the Nuvinci weird feeling because of not having definite positions to index to? EG: I like to be in a 36x17 to pedal out of most medium-tight turns...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Ok thanks, good info all around.

Is the Nuvinci weird feeling because of not having definite positions to index to? EG: I like to be in a 36x17 to pedal out of most medium-tight turns...
Nah, I think it's great, you just twist the shifter and it's at a different ratio. You learn pretty quick how much to shift it, and if you're wrong you just shift some more. You can adjust how easy the shifter is to twist too.