Quantcast

All Mtn/FR bike

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
After our last trip to Moab my wife decided she'd like to upgrade from her very outdated hartail to full suspension. Seems like the best fit for what/how she rides would be an all-mountain/light freeride bike. Something like the Specialized Enduro is the first thing that comes to mind but I am wondering if any of the Mud Hunnies have any suggestions. She is 5'6" and a very competent bike handler in spite of her lack of experience. Thinking something w/ a slack headtube angle, fairly plush suspension but pedalable. Any frame/complete bike suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I second the vote for the Coiler. It comes in smaller sizing and if she's at all interested in being able to take drops and jumps, it will do it easily.

huckqueen

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
CT
Perhaps a 575? They're light enough for XC but have 5.75" of travel.
Yup, ditto that. I ride a 575 (rear = dhx air, front = fox 36) for both XC and FR (x-stuntry). I'm very happy with the setup. I also ride with a bunch of girls who have 6.6 and they love them.

oh, and I'm 5'4".

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i bought a used giant vt for my all around trail bike. it is a great bike at a great price. i have no complaints. it would be a very cost effective solution.

it really does depend on your price range though... I am a proponent of very seperate bikes for all around trail riding and downhill/freeride. unless you have a crap load of money burning a whole in your pocket... then get a nomad.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Price is definitely a consideration. And although I totally agree w/ having a quiver of bikes, the wife is not down w/ that program. Purely a recreationalist. So a Nomad would probably be overkill. And a 575 would be ideal but its a bit pricey. The Coiler/Coilair seems like it might be a good way to go, both from a price and function standpoint.

Stinkyboy--what made you say I could get one for so cheap right now? BTW, thanks for all the opinions thus far.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Is she opposed to a used bike? If not, (spam alert) I will be selling a 2004 Cannondal Jekyll very soon if she's interested. If you'd like pics or details, PM me you e-mail address and I'll send it along.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Jekyll's a nice choice if you're going used.

But I'm totally in favor of your first suggestion: 07 Enduro SL.
These bikes are so light (right at 30 lbs), so nimble, and so incredibly capable... You could do anything with them from casual trail riding to almost any sport-level downhill course. The travel adjust also affects the headtube angle, so you can climb with efficiency or descend with ease, knowing that your bike will take care of you.

The travel adjustment is near the top crown of the fork, so you're not leaning over to make your adjustments.

I was fortunate enough to get to ride one of these... they're amazing.

This being said... I ride a 2002 Turner RFX that I'm still totally in love with.

Good luck!

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
for sure chekc out Transition Bikes before you make up your mind, better yet give them a call, they will point you in the right direction. but IMO the Covert or the Preston or even the BottleRocket would be ideal, i had a Preston and loved it for an everything kind of bike, now i have a BottleRocket and cant wait for the snow to go so i can really ride it. the Covert is getting a lot of praise and comes in around 3 lbs lighter than the above mentioned, my buddy just got his put together and he just cant say enough about it, i am going to get one for my wife, she really likes it, and seems like a twin to your lady. if your on the east coast let me know my buddies shop carries Transition bikes.