Quantcast

All you roadies listen.....AND LISTEN GOOD!!!!!!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I work in a law firm as a Litigation Technology Analyst. Much of my job requires loading evidence into case databases. I had to load photos for a wrongful death case. Two roadies were hit by a car. The photo's fvcked me up!!! Both died; one on scene, and one at the er....

So please please please please.....................................

BE CAREFUL!

I know you can't control the driver of a car, but please remember the rules of the road, and watch out, because not everyone does. I'd hate to think someone I knew on here was killed that way.....

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Yeah, the older I get the more I see how close you get to death by car, truck, dog, guardrail, and fellow chit-chatty roadies.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
A friend of mine was hit on Monday but is thankfully OK. Did a proper tuck and roll to get away with only some road rash. That was a good reminder for me. We normally ride together 2-3 days a week but I had stayed home to mow the grass. Not my favorite task but glad I did it that day.

His Madone didn't fair so well though, seeking a full replacement. The driver had the nerve to ask the accident not be reported and there just happened to be a cop getting gas at the intersection not 50 yards away.

splat

Nam I am
Believe me I know it ! I have been Doored 3 times , and put off the road more then once.

I have several Friends who have been been hit by cars , and one sadly who is no longer with us due to Car VS. Auto. I also Had a Friend who had a Massive correnary while ride and died on the spot.

Its a tough world out there .

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
wanna be a better roadie?

take a motorcycle safety class.

Funny thing happened today. Did a road ride after work. Had a tailwind on a flat section of road so I was cruising along at a good 25mph without much effort. I suddenly see a dog in a yard coming at me fast. This wasn't the normal dumb ass dog that undershoots you, this smart ****er was running a bee line perpendicular to my path. It was too late to stop and pull a U turn so I just started pedaling as hard as I could hoping to fly past. It was faster than I was and the crazy ****ing dog broad sided my rear wheel. My back end skidded out a good foot or so. The funny thing was the only thing going through my head was "don't chop the throttle, you'll high side", and I pedaled as hard as I could through the skid. I stayed loose on the bike and kept the front wheel pointing down the road and recovered with little drama. I stayed up more from time on the mountainbike but what was going through my head was more like if I was on the motorcycle.

The real sphincter clenching thing about it all was that for some reason instead of pulling away from the dog towards the middle of the road I held my line near the shoulder. Seconds after all this some asshole in a truck was speeding around a corner swinging very wide into my lane. If I hadn't held my line with the dog incident I could very well be a messy hood ornament right now.

Looking back the the dog seemed unhurt and the truck missed it but I wasn't going to stop and risk getting bit checking it out.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
^^ impressive....I prolly woulda crashed when the dog hit me. We have some routes around here where there are always dogs that chase us :plthumbsdown: I guess its like doing intervals

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Funny thing happened today. Did a road ride after work. Had a tailwind on a flat section of road so I was cruising along at a good 25mph without much effort. I suddenly see a dog in a yard coming at me fast. This wasn't the normal dumb ass dog that undershoots you, this smart ****er was running a bee line perpendicular to my path. It was too late to stop and pull a U turn so I just started pedaling as hard as I could hoping to fly past. It was faster than I was and the crazy ****ing dog broad sided my rear wheel. My back end skidded out a good foot or so. The funny thing was the only thing going through my head was "don't chop the throttle, you'll high side", and I pedaled as hard as I could through the skid. I stayed loose on the bike and kept the front wheel pointing down the road and recovered with little drama. I stayed up more from time on the mountainbike but what was going through my head was more like if I was on the motorcycle.

The real sphincter clenching thing about it all was that for some reason instead of pulling away from the dog towards the middle of the road I held my line near the shoulder. Seconds after all this some asshole in a truck was speeding around a corner swinging very wide into my lane. If I hadn't held my line with the dog incident I could very well be a messy hood ornament right now.

Looking back the the dog seemed unhurt and the truck missed it but I wasn't going to stop and risk getting bit checking it out.
I would've died.