Quantcast

Altai Hok ski

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Adventurous do you still have yours? Still use them? Any long terms issues or thoughts?

Was going to grab a set last winter, but it just didn't happen. Seeing all that powder today has been thinking about them, again.

My only real question is what length... I am probably 220lbs and want to take these everywhere, so will the extra length be needed for flotation? Then again, if I'm on some tighter trails, maybe the 125cm would be better?? :confused:

http://ca-store.altaiskis.com/product/hok-ski-updated-2016/

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Fuck yea!

They are awesome! Haven't had enough snow to get out this year, but got a handful of days on them last winter. If you are looking for a way to enjoy the trails in the winter they are super fun, enough width at a short enough length to do a decent job floating in powder, pretty darn maneuverable, and the built in skins do a good job handling icier terrain. The universal bindings work really well too, I haven't been tempted to replace them with anything fancier. Downhill they are very amusing and you can actually turn.

I'd highly, highly recommend a pair. They make snowshoes and traditional XC skis seem like a dull way to enjoy the snow.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
@Adventurous do you still have yours? Still use them? Any long terms issues or thoughts?

Was going to grab a set last winter, but it just didn't happen. Seeing all that powder today has been thinking about them, again.

My only real question is what length... I am probably 220lbs and want to take these everywhere, so will the extra length be needed for flotation? Then again, if I'm on some tighter trails, maybe the 125cm would be better?? :confused:

http://ca-store.altaiskis.com/product/hok-ski-updated-2016/
Get the 145cm ones unless you are planning to skishoe in the middle of dense forests. If you're mostly staying on trails / clear areas, the 145 should be a better option. I have a pair of 145s incoming. :busted: Thank you for the tip!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Get the 145cm ones unless you are planning to skishoe in the middle of dense forests. If you're mostly staying on trails / clear areas, the 145 should be a better option. I have a pair of 145s incoming. :busted: Thank you for the tip!
Was gonna say, you can get em through LL Bean and use a 20% off coupon for extra savings. Mine are 125s which seem to work well for my height/weight (5'7" 165 lbs).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Where do I find this coupon?
You'll have to sign up for their email list. Now that it's the holidays they are emailing out the 20% or 25% off with free shipping coupons pretty regularly. I'd save you the trouble but the last coupon I have the code isn't valid any longer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The Joy of cross border shopping...

Can get them for the following price...

• Local dealer - $410 - but sold out of 145cm
  • Altai Hok directly - $417 - in stock
  • LLBean - $412 after rough currency conversion. Runs slight risk of having duties/taxes added on as they cross the border. BUT, spoke with customer service and if a discount coupon comes out they'll refund me the difference. 20% coupon would be killer. On the other hand, if I get dinged for taxes and no coupon surfaces...well, that'd suck.

Hmmm.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have the OAC Wap (126)
Really morer fun way to pack trails for Fatbiking.

I will probably buy the Kar (146) also and lend the short one to my girlfriend when we go together. The 146 are suppose to be more ski like.

I use 75mm 3 pins bindings with BC ski boots.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The Joy of cross border shopping...

Can get them for the following price...

• Local dealer - $410 - but sold out of 145cm
  • Altai Hok directly - $417 - in stock
  • LLBean - $412 after rough currency conversion. Runs slight risk of having duties/taxes added on as they cross the border. BUT, spoke with customer service and if a discount coupon comes out they'll refund me the difference. 20% coupon would be killer. On the other hand, if I get dinged for taxes and no coupon surfaces...well, that'd suck.

Hmmm.
LLBean charges taxes and duty at checkout. You pay nothing extra after you give them your credit card #, but it can be a bit surprising to see the final total jump at that point. It's a flat rate on everything not made in the US. I think 20% or so. There's no weaseling out of it. (at least that's been my experience, if you find a way, please do let me know).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
LLBean charges taxes and duty at checkout. You pay nothing extra after you give them your credit card #, but it can be a bit surprising to see the final total jump at that point. It's a flat rate on everything not made in the US. I think 20% or so. There's no weaseling out of it. (at least that's been my experience, if you find a way, please do let me know).
Damn. So it'd be $430 before converting to Canadian pesos. So about $550 to my door.

The only way around it is to pick them up at the store. Looks like PA has a sales tax, so total would be $342.35 usd.

Still no Bean coupon so I might just buy them local and not run the risk. Not really in a rush now though, all the damn snow has melted haha.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Damn. So it'd be $430 before converting to Canadian pesos. So about $550 to my door.

The only way around it is to pick them up at the store. Looks like PA has a sales tax, so total would be $342.35 usd.

Still no Bean coupon so I might just buy them local and not run the risk. Not really in a rush now though, all the damn snow has melted haha.
If you're passing through Boston, you can have them delivered to my place and pick them up in person. I doubt you are though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

It's a bit of a long-shot, but are you driving through NH? The Live Free of Die state has no sales tax. Also, not sure if you know, but most UPS stores along the border have a package receiving service. You ship to the store in your name, and they hold the package for you for a $5 fee.

That's what I did for my Transition. Shipper sent it to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, which is an hour away. I drove down, picked it up, built it, spent the night in a state park (had planned to ride in the area, but couldn't get the goddam dropper post installed - which is how I discovered a 150mm drop is too tall for my stubby little legs - so couldn't ride).

I like LLBean products, and their shipping policy is great, but the whole "we charge taxes and a flat duty on all items not made in the US" (which is pretty much everything except for their boots), makes everything quite pricey. If I really want something, I try and gather a few things and have them shipped to the border, making it worth my while to do the three-hour round trip. My aunt and uncle used to live in the 1000 Islands, and I would have so much stuff shipped to them, and then make it down at least twice a year to go visit!

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
@Full Trucker will be borrowing ours for the next week and change. Look for a more in-depth review from a proficient skier who knows what he's talking about. :D
Hardly. What I'm actually more intredasted to know is how my "has skied in the past and knows how to ski according to her but doesn't actively ski currently" girlfriend likes them. I'm hoping they'll be a better option than snowshoes for her to go on hut trips and other backcountry excursions. I will also try them out, in an act of solidarity.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you're passing through Boston, you can have them delivered to my place and pick them up in person. I doubt you are though.
Thanks! Boston way out of the way though.

Did you get yours yet?

Local dealer got some 145's in, so I might try to arrange to go pick them up this weekend. We got MOAR powder here and its supposed to snow for the rest of the week. Will be perfect to go eat shit in the forest on them. No llbean coupons yet and lets face it, its just a few dollars in the long run of things. Meh...

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Thanks! Boston way out of the way though.

Did you get yours yet?

Local dealer got some 145's in, so I might try to arrange to go pick them up this weekend. We got MOAR powder here and its supposed to snow for the rest of the week. Will be perfect to go eat shit in the forest on them. No llbean coupons yet and lets face it, its just a few dollars in the long run of things. Meh...
I was supposed to get them today but ups screwed up and delayed to 12/26. I hate those fuckers. :mad:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went to go try them out, but the boots I intend to use with them definitely do not fit in the standard bindings.

Messaged the local dude to see if we can swap for the longer ones.

Bummer.... I was stoked to try them out in all this new snow.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Tried out the pair that @Adventurous loaned me last week... super nifty and fun. We just tromped around the local nordork trails for a few hours, but pretty neat. Me and the gal both wore Sorel boots, which don't have a lot of support really. While that might be a fine choice for snowshoeing, these things would need a more stable book for any terrain more challenging than what we did.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did 5km on mine today and have pretty much the same thoughts as @Full Trucker. I used my Keen boots (seen below), which definitely was not stiff enough for trying to turn sharply. I could also feel the binding and ski being flexed and torqued, which I'm sure the longer ski I choose doesn't help..

Took them down a variety of 10-15 foot wide double track and single track trail. In the fresh powder, they were great. Where there had already been someone riding their fat bike down the trail with a rut, I could definitely feel the flexiness of the boots inhibiting comfort a little.

It was pretty cool to climb up hills on them too. I was hesitant at first, but they do grip well. Its only the times when you try to glide over a bump, going up hill, where the skin might suddenly lose all grip and then you're clinching cheeks. :rofl:

I don't think I'll go on any super long excursions with these, but that being said, these were a lot of fun. Definitely better than post holing or snow shoeing. I've also never telemarked skied (also haven't downhill skied in 10+ years..), so my thoughts are worth a grain of salt. I definitely had a few o-shit moments on the single track. I think I need to find a big huge open hill to practice turning....when its dark out so no one can watch my have a yard sale. :twitch:

I think these will help pack down the less traveled trails for fat biking. Riding the fat bike is still more fun...

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What are you using for boots/bindings?
I haven't tried them yet - they arrived about an hour ago while I was riding my bike - but I got the universal binding and plan to use heavy duty Columbia snow boots in shitty conditions and 5.10 tall boots in less shitty conditions. I'll report some experience soon.