Quantcast

Altai Hok ski

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't remember the last time I've had this much fun on XC skis. I was fooling around local woods in 10F for two hours before the sunset. The Hok are fantastic - good glide, superb float, good mobility despite me having the longer ones. Unfortunately they also managed to find buried East Coast roxx so the beavers now have a few scars on each ski. :doh:They work OK in ski tracks, are quite terrible on hardpack but absolutely rock on untracked snow, they just refuse to sink. I ventured off trails whenever possible, following deer paths and open areas. Going downhill is a bit scary especially if you need to avoid obstacles.

10/10, will bang again, preferably on fresh snow to save the beavers.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
aaand this landed in my mailbox right after I finished my run so I cannot send them back for an exchange. You may want to check yours, @canadmos.

We are contacting you regarding an alert we have placed on our Hok skis that have been ordered this season. The information is copied below. This covers the updated Hoks that have been shipped this season - 125cm, 145cm. As well as, Balla Hoks ordered on or after 11/16/2017. Any of the original version Hoks (red tail graphic) or new version skis shipped/ ordered last year do not have the defective glue. We are sorry for the inconvenience and please let us know if you have any questions.

Greetings from Nils at Altai Skis
We have found that our recent shipments of skis have had defective adhesive that is prone to delaminating in cold weather (like skiing). We are currently halting orders until we have a solution. We will be either replacing or repairing skis that have the defective adhesive.
If you have been using your skis and are not having a problem, then it is possible that the adhesive on your skis is good. We will continue to warranty any delamination into future years as this is a construction defect.

Please let us know if your skis have not been used, we will be send you a new pair with a return label for you to send your current skis back.

What we will need from you:

- bindings on the skis?
- type of binding?
- can you remove your bindings or do you want to ship them back with bindings?
- shipping address, for your choice either UPS or USPS Priority?

We have developed a solution and will process any warranties as quickly as possible. We appreciate your support and business.

For more information or specific concerns you can contact us directly at <info@altaiskis.com>
I apologize for the problem and hope to have it resolved soon.

aaand this landed in my mailbox right after I finished my run so I cannot send them back for an exchange. You may want to check yours, @canadmos.

We are contacting you regarding an alert we have placed on our Hok skis that have been ordered this season. The information is copied below. This covers the updated Hoks that have been shipped this season - 125cm, 145cm. As well as, Balla Hoks ordered on or after 11/16/2017. Any of the original version Hoks (red tail graphic) or new version skis shipped/ ordered last year do not have the defective glue. We are sorry for the inconvenience and please let us know if you have any questions.

Greetings from Nils at Altai Skis
We have found that our recent shipments of skis have had defective adhesive that is prone to delaminating in cold weather (like skiing). We are currently halting orders until we have a solution. We will be either replacing or repairing skis that have the defective adhesive.
If you have been using your skis and are not having a problem, then it is possible that the adhesive on your skis is good. We will continue to warranty any delamination into future years as this is a construction defect.

Please let us know if your skis have not been used, we will be send you a new pair with a return label for you to send your current skis back.

What we will need from you:

- bindings on the skis?
- type of binding?
- can you remove your bindings or do you want to ship them back with bindings?
- shipping address, for your choice either UPS or USPS Priority?

We have developed a solution and will process any warranties as quickly as possible. We appreciate your support and business.

For more information or specific concerns you can contact us directly at <info@altaiskis.com>
I apologize for the problem and hope to have it resolved soon.
Interesting, because I was about to order some last night and ran into "out of stock".

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Side note, please consider the OAC brand if they are available. They are more ski like since the bindings are centered on the ski instead of the forward position of the Altai.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
We've just gotten 16+ inches of powder. I hope I will be able to have some fun on the Hoks in deep snow before the fat brigade ruins it for the skiers. :nerd:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
We've just gotten 16+ inches of powder. I hope I will be able to have some fun on the Hoks in deep snow before the fat brigade ruins it for the skiers. :nerd:
Of course no matter how many fat bikes and skis are out there packing the trails into a groomed wonderland, there will always be that hiker postholing his way down the same trail ruining it for all. They are like foul-weather horses in that regard.

Last edited:
Nice! Awaiting review... They are my next pair.
They arrived today. I went out for two or three hours relearning certain basics such as tips up and do.not.run.one.ski.over.another and a bunch of grom practice, the sit down stop and the grab.a.tree stop. I sort of wish @SkaredShtles had been along, I would have enjoyed seeing him die of laughter.

So certain learnings:
  1. Neos with my sheepskin slippers inside were not ideal footwear. They were warm enough, but thin enough that I felt the bindings a lot.
  2. The wide skis in fresh snow wanted to tilt to the outside. I managed to correct with the right, but my somewhat worn out left knee and hip made managing the ski on that side difficult. Practice will help, as will, I think, more appropriate boots. I'm going to try with my Wölvhammers.
It's going to be interesting to see how my left leg feels tomorrow morning.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If anyone is still considering picking up a set, I just received a coupon from L.L Bean for 25% off purchases over $100 plus free shipping.

Coupon code: JRF6ZZP5M

Expires 1/29 so don't wait too long!