Quantcast

Alternative Tools

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Issue: Just got me some Saint Cranks/BB. Awesome. Bad news: I don't have the Shimano tools that tighten it all up. Some McGiver toolage took place, but was only partially successful. Should have planned ahead, but didn't obviously - next time.

Anyone with Saint Crank experience: is there some other tool i can use other than the cap screw thing: http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/TO/TOBB/SH/SH9021?page=1#SH9021, as well as the cup wrench two down to tighten things up?

Thanks for the help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, because of the way the cranks interface, the end caps on the axle only have to be about hand-tight. Anything of an approximate size could be wedged in there to do that.

The bearing cups could probably be tightened down with some big channel locks. Just make sure you either don't care what it looks like (because they'll ding the heck out of your bearing cups), or put something in between the jaws and the bearing cup. You could line up the jaws so that the tips press into a couple of the notches. Of course, you risk damaging the BB if the cups aren't designed to take any kind of pressure.

Or, you could take it to your LBS and ask them if you could borrow their BB tool for ten seconds if you've got a good relationship with them :monkey:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't use channel locks. That's painfully sloppy, and probably hard to get it torqued properly anyway. The tool isn't expensive, and probably worth having. Or, like BV said, see if your LBS would let you use one for 5 minutes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of rigging up tools. Better to buy the real thing - most you'll use again and again. About the only tools I don't have are BB/headtube facing tools and a star nut setter - and the next time I have to set a star nut, I'll buy one.

If you have any kind of decent local shop, it's worth fostering a relationship with them just to get access to the tools you don't have.

Most times that you rig up a tool, it's going to end badly. There are great creative solutions for a lot of things, but subbing for basic tools usually isn't one of them.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
thanks for the feed back. i did in fact walk away from the project until i get the right bits and pieces. the lbs is an option i avoid. there are three in the area, two definitely don't have the tools, and the one that does will make me pay for the service. some more phone calls are being made today. haha

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
How is it even conceivable that an LBS would not have a bottom bracket tool?

Do they not service bikes?

taymat2

Chimp
Jun 7, 2010
stop being so cheap, you can get a external BB tool and the Shimano hollowtech tool thing for dirt cheap.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10179

your going to have to take it off sometime, so buying the right tools always is best. Don't spend $300 on cranks if your too poor to buy a $15-$20 tool.

and while your at it find a new bikeshop, if they don't have a hollowtech tool they are retarded.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
A large bolt head "might" fit well enough to snug things up without causing damage. The only alternative for the proper wrench for the cups...is another proper wrench. You don't want to use anything else for the cups as it could cause damage to the engagement points making removal difficult unless you're OK with vice grip gouges and distorted cups from squeezing too hard.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I say just buy the tool. I've done the channel locks and bolt head routine. its ok, but the bolt head will strip the plastic out easy. with the channel locks I put a rag over the bb first. like i said just buy the tool.