Quantcast

Aluminium bike frames with 230x60/65 shocks ?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Hey!

I'm starting to list my new frame options and it seems like all companies are now going with trunnion 205x60/65mm shocks to save space. :shakefist: Since I just bought two Ohlins shocks in 230x60mm size, and I plan to keep them a long time, here is what I found so far :

•Actofive P-Train
•Bird Aeris 9
•Canfield Lithium
•Canfield Balance
•Commencal Clash
•Commencal Meta SX
•Cotic RocketMAX
•Crossworx Dash
•MDE Damper
•Nicolai G1
•Propain Spindrift AL
•Santa Cruz Bronson AL (pre 2023)
•Santa Cruz Nomad AL (pre 2023)
•Santa Cruz Megatower (pre 2023)
•Specialized Status 160
•YT Capra AL

If any of you have more recommendations, feel free to contribute with new ideas! (Amish bikes only, no carbon) Thanks! I'll add everyone's suggestions to the list in case that it would benefit other people later on.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Hey!

I'm starting to list my new frame options and it seems like all companies are now going with trunnion 205x60/65mm shocks to save space. :shakefist: Since I just bought two Ohlins shocks in 230x60mm size, and I plan to keep them a long time, here is what I found so far :

Bird Aeris 9
Canfield Lithium
Canfield Balance
Commencal Clash
Commencal Meta SX
MDE Damper
Nicolai G1

If any of you have more recommendations, feel free to contribute with new ideas! (Amish bikes only, no carbon) Thanks!
Propain spinfrift aluminum

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Status and Capra AL are unfortunetely not sold as frame only in Canada. Otherwise, a Capra would have been interesting.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
If you're planning for longevity keep availability of parts / support for the frame in mind. For me that would shorten the list to Nicolai and Canfield.
Yes that's a concern indeed. A Bird would have been very interesting and checks all my boxes, but u,nfortunately, with the current economic context in the industry, I fear that they could be at risk of closing shop this year. I don't know them that much so that might not be the case, but it's certainly cooling off my interest.

Nicolai would be my first choice if money was no object, but the Canfield Lithium is currently second!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Good question, I'm not sure. I spaced the CRC/wiggle troubles. It does look like they are closing up shop.
They're gone. (not just CRC/Wiggle but the whole group) Laid off all their staff. IP sold to a billionaire who owns tons of high street shops/brands. its the receivers who are selling off the remaining stock with a skeleton crew.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still some frames around tho.

Same for Vitus
well yes them going out of business didn't mean all the frames spontaneously combusted. but not exactly what would be at the top of my list if longevity is a concern.

this coming from someone that just bought another GG frame :busted:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
At 299 gbp for an enduro/Derp frame who the fuck cares about longevity?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The new Trek Slash is 230 x 65 I think and available in aluminium
Cotic RocketMAX (Reynolds 853 not alloy)