Quantcast

Aluminum 27.5 trail rims, DT EX471 vs Spank Oozy 295

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey @buckoW

Is i30 the flavor you are liking these days? For both trail and dh?
It depends on the tire. I like 30mm for a 2.5 Minion but prefer a narrower rim as a front wheel with a Magic Mary. Lately I've been liking the 471 in the front and a 481 in the rear.
Btw, I think the Squorx nipples are the best nipples I've used if you have the tool.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
It depends on the tire. I like 30mm for a 2.5 Minion but prefer a narrower rim as a front wheel with a Magic Mary. Lately I've been liking the 471 in the front and a 481 in the rear.
Btw, I think the Squorx nipples are the best nipples I've used if you have the tool.
I gotcha. I'll officially be on the 471's front and rear, just dropped the hubs off and the wheels are getting built up now. Are you talking about the alloy or brass Squorx nipples? I know DT makes both, but the silver alloy is whats included with the rims. My FR570 wheelset was built up with standard black brass nips, Sapim spokes.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I gotcha. I'll officially be on the 471's front and rear, just dropped the hubs off and the wheels are getting built up now. Are you talking about the alloy or brass Squorx nipples? I know DT makes both, but the silver alloy is whats included with the rims. My FR570 wheelset was built up with standard black brass nips, Sapim spokes.
I've only used the alloy ones.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm useless for anything not mavic, enve or I9 right now.
Did you just go ahead and pick the worst brands possible* for everything, or did you challenge yourself to a hat-draw and get a really unlucky hand?

*excused if the only Mavic product is an 823

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Tell me more about things you've never owned.

You weigh like a buck 20 right?
Lol no, but tell me more things you're wrong about.

Could have been worse I guess, at least you didn't list crank brothers.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm wrong about i9 rims that just came out last year lasting me a full dh season with nothing more than two dings? I'm wrong about them staying completely round and true with only touching the spokes once or twice? Not to mention the only setup I've used tubeless on a dh bike that doesn't burp on just about every run?

I'm wrong about the enve wheels on my trail bike being by far the lightest and stiffest wheels I've ever been able to keep in shape over two years?

You want to actually discuss this or just be a prick?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Definitely the latter. :D

We should really go for a ride sometime.
i want to come. we can ride trail and talk about bike geometry, bar width, crank arm length, the pros and cons of coil springs vs air springs. you know, all the important, existential questions and matters in life

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i want to come. we can ride trail and talk about bike geometry, bar width, crank arm length, the pros and cons of coil springs vs air springs. you know, all the important, existential questions and matters in life
Having ridden with him, I can assure you the discussions are definitely far less technical and a lot more talking crap and complaining about the amount of pedalling.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm wrong about i9 rims that just came out last year lasting me a full dh season with nothing more than two dings? I'm wrong about them staying completely round and true with only touching the spokes once or twice? Not to mention the only setup I've used tubeless on a dh bike that doesn't burp on just about every run?

I'm wrong about the enve wheels on my trail bike being by far the lightest and stiffest wheels I've ever been able to keep in shape over two years?

You want to actually discuss this or just be a prick?
Something doesn't sound right. Have you checked your age lately? Could be that you're approaching retirement.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
It's certainly only through age that I've gotten tired of the kinds of wheels I have to build with traditional spokes because they end up weighing so damn much. :D
like trying new technology? moving away from typical standards and ways of doing things? sounds like it's time for you to have a Tantrum, brosef!