Quantcast

Am I the last human being alive to ride a hardtail???

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Well, anyone else out there who is a hardtailer or have you all succumbed to the lure of being able to sit down for the entirety of the ride?

Even the old ladies who ride to the grocery store near my house have fully suspended rigs! Did I miss something?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, if the trails you ride are relatively smooth then there isn't anything wrong with the hardtail. Where I live almost no one rides a hardtail because it will hammer the hell out of you and get you killed.
________
Extreme Vaporizer

Last edited:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I get get hammered!!! I ride a hard tail...

I like the response, and I seem to do pretty good with Tracking....

IMHO, I like hard tails for XC

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
The trails around here are anything but smooth, but I'll never give up my hardtail.

BTW, nice Soulcraft Chunk.

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
Originally posted by riderx
The trails around here are anything but smooth, but I'll never give up my hardtail.

BTW, nice Soulcraft Chunk.
You got that right. Nothing in Gambrill, the Frederick Watershed or the GWNF is smooth for very long.

Nice bikes. Which Ibis is that?

Here's a pic of my SS.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by chunk
Nice bikes. Which Ibis is that?
It's the steel Mojo.

I live right by Avalon, so if you are ever up this way, drop me a line. Especially if you want to bring that Kaboom up. The Ibis rarely gets ridden these days, I'm almost 100% SS.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by chrisJohn
Pisgah 2002.

No sqeeks, slop, or maintanence issues...
Yeah I will always have a hardtail in addition to the dually I'm gonna get. I break stuff and wear out drivetrains so often that I need a reliable bike that I know will always work.

Welcome to the board ChrisJohn!

:monkey:

S

Sniper

i've got a hard ass. i mean a hardtail. and every now and then, i still like to take my rigid out for a spin.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Even when my DH bike didn't have a blown shock and broken deraileur, I was riding the hardtail for everything except DH runs and races... to school, to work, urban, trails, jumping, you name it...

She's purdy! Not that you can see her, but it's a stock '01 Specialized P3. I've added...

Hayes HMX-1 front disc brake
Engagement Ring Tooth Fairy bashguard
MRP lower roller
Thornproof tubes

It's really quite nice! Power to the hardtailers...

Attachments

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by ridemonkey
I break stuff and wear out drivetrains so often that I need a reliable bike that I know will always work.
Sounds like a single speed is in your future Monkeyman!:monkey: :D

That quote could be ad copy for an SS company!

deroyo

French Monkey Instigator Supreme!
Jul 3, 2001
Not on my BIKE!!!
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

Well, anyone else out there who is a hardtailer or have you all succumbed to the lure of being able to sit down for the entirety of the ride?

Even the old ladies who ride to the grocery store near my house have fully suspended rigs! Did I miss something?
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/saudley/vwp?.dir=/Mail+Attachments&.src=ph&.dnm=Denis+on+Kill+me+Thrill+me.jpg&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/saudley/lst?&.dir=/Mail+Attachments&.src=ph&.view=t
I also have a hardtail...

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by riderx
Sounds like a single speed is in your future Monkeyman!:monkey: :D

That quote could be ad copy for an SS company!
Yeah actually I'd ride one if someone gave me one. Like Independent Fab for example :D

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by chunk

Ah, so it's not just a nice bike, it's also a collectors item. :)
Scratch that. I crashed it tonight and its history :(

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by spincrazy
Did you break the frame?????

Such a bad-ass! Tis a shame though.....
Dude I know. I crashed Sunday and broke my bars and bent a shifter. I was riding tonight with the end of the bar still broken and I crashed again, trashing the frame. Just not my week :rolleyes: And I've got 24 hours of Moab in 9 days...........

M

MuDHoG

hate to keep showing pics of my bike....but with a few modifications I like the feel of my hardtail better than my FS...for now anyhow.....and I ride some of the roughest trails in Canada

Attachments

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
I ride DMR Trailstar - had 2 now and love them. Heavy as hell though so i got a Coyote HT4 recently for XC and training. Love it, was riding an Orange Sub5 for XC but kept snapping them at the shock mounts.

Horses for courses, where i ride now most of the time its pretty smooth so HT xc bike is great. Still gotta have the DHi for the silly stuff.

Hardtails, no mess, less maintenance and take the mickey out of youngsters on their DH rigs up in our woods who are too daft to realise they would have more fun and go quicker on a dual bike.

Keep it hard. (ooh matron)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ridemonkey

Dude I know. I crashed Sunday and broke my bars and bent a shifter. I was riding tonight with the end of the bar still broken and I crashed again, trashing the frame. Just not my week :rolleyes: And I've got 24 hours of Moab in 9 days...........
That sucks! Are you going to get a new bike before then or what?
________
BUBBLER PIPE

Last edited:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
servus Ranger!!!
Where are you, Dresden?
I remember that when I was there I ONLY saw FS´s.

I still ride Hardtails, mainly because I´m a weight-weenie.
I ride a Jamis Dragon, super nice steel frame, and the bikes weight is reduced to 20lbs.

But I still have a Kona King Kikapu that weights 22lbs.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by Heidi

That sucks! Are you going to get a new bike before then or what?
Spincrazy hooked me up with a GT frame :)

G

gravity

i ride a ht too, hopin to upgrade to a slalom frame soon, or maybe a freeride frame (but that costs $$$), both made by craftworks cos they have such low prices. my current HT is a Marin palisades trail, pretty basic but FUN. I'm 15 n live in the city so i don't often get out to the best trails in the mtns but i'll make sure i do soon.