Quantcast

Am i the only Phd student with problems?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

I am feeling like a total wreck today after a meeting with my supervisor...

Basically i was given a math model to run 6months ago... and a week ago i am told that this model was badly specified and that i should run a new one...

I was so pissed off initially, anyhow i go back , i do some reading and research that says that some other people are using the same/similar model, so i go back to my supervisor and i tell him my reading output....

He fends me off, says that the old one is wrong, he doesnt want to talk about it, and that the new one is the correct one. He goes further on to comment that i should be the one discovering that the old model was wrong and not him...so practically he blamed me for not discovering this!!!!

Small note: Last year, supposedly, he did all the quality control on the models he gave me, and i basically solved/ran them as my job, and i was never asked to do ANY quality checking... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyhow, i feel totally ALONE now...in terms of scientific partnership coz i trust no-one but myself... :mumble:

If i havent invested so much into this phd , i honestly might have considered ditching in... but i ll keep it up... though feeling alone, and fvcked up.

PS. When i asked why the old one was wrong... he went on to say that he basically didnt read enough for it at the time....

:dancing:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Dude that is chitty. So he gave you a totally incorrect assignment and it was his fault and he is blaming you? What an a-hole.

:mumble:

:stupid: on the real world comment, however... in the real world if a client totally fuhked up your work then you'd probably get a deadline extension, dod you?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
well i ll trust myself from now on and seek outside assistance... ;)

****ty or not...i wont trust anyone again for these matters...

as for the real world comment comment...

This has no real deadline... i imposed my deadline to myself since it is my work for my phd.... however i planned for a record breaking 2yr phd, and it seems that i ll struggle a lot to break the record.

J

JRB

Don't we already know how to do all the math we need to do??? :D

I watched the Day After Tomorrow and it seemed like they used models to not do schit and still saved the world. Confusing really. Ice age starts and then begins to correct itself. -150 outside and cozy warm in a library half filled with snow, using a fireplace and burning books to keep warm. Really confused the more I think about it. :think:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That stinks.

I guess it's just another instance of the old addage:

"If you want something done right..."

It's too bad that it has to be proved true over and over again, though.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
math2014 said:
So anyhow, i feel totally ALONE now...in terms of scientific partnership coz i trust no-one but myself... :mumble:
I think this describes most of us here, at least in a professional capacity.

I had a similar problem on a final exam, with no notice ahead of time, we had a question that was worth 25% of the test. Basically we had to come up with a new lawn pesticide that targets certain "weeds" but doesn't harm "grasses". I choose the route of targeting rhibosomal DNA structures. I thought I had a really slick answer until I got my test back with only 5% of the credit and a huge red circle around NEW. "there is already a pesticide out there that does this." :mumble:

J

JRB

DVNT said:
I thought I had a really slick answer until I got my test back with only 5% of the credit and a huge red circle around NEW. "there is already a pesticide out there that does this." :mumble:
That bitch was trying to get rich off of you. :think:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
binary visions said:
That stinks.

I guess it's just another instance of the old addage:

"If you want something done right..."

It's too bad that it has to be proved true over and over again, though.
Exactly binary... if i want it done properly i should do every single aspect of it on my own... both theory and application...

Which basically means that for this new equation, i should read on my own to verify that it is the correct one this time, and if not, i ll change it myself.

The sad thing for me, is that 1yr ago when i was beginning my phd, i had the option to do something mine from scratch with having the risk of loosing some time because of mistakes etc... and the option to follow advice and work on an existing model... i picked the wrong option apparently....

So i ll finish off this model with the best possible way, and then i ll fvck any further advice and do the final part of the phd on MY own model from scratch.

Thanks for the support guys... i really need it at this point.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I seriously wonder how many people got full credit on that one.

Anyway that was the beginning of the end of my biology degree.... Organic Chemistry pretty much finished me off.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco-gringo said:
<snip>I watched the Day After Tomorrow
Another movie that I'm POSITIVE would be more enjoyable after a lobotomy......

Kind of like that asteroiod movie a few years back with Bruce Willis. I was going to start begging people to shoot me, but luckily it ended before I got up the nerve. :D

-S.S.-

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
math2014,

are you like the guy in the movie a Simple Mind?

Are you working on a physics phd or mathematics?

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Another movie that I'm POSITIVE would be more enjoyable after a lobotomy......

Kind of like that asteroiod movie a few years back with Bruce Willis. I was going to start begging people to shoot me, but luckily it ended before I got up the nerve. :D

-S.S.-

That pretty much sums it up.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
math2014 said:
Mathematician/aero eng doing a phd in financial mathematics.

so yeah i am doing similar stuff like John Nash

So doing your own model might turn out to be pretty cool eh?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
math2014 said:
In some sense, that's a healthy feeling to have. After all, the process of getting a PhD boils down to demonstrating that you're capable of producing original work. When you get to the point of defending your dissertation, you and your work will obviously have to stand on your own. The faster you get to the point where you feel ownership of your model apart from your advisor the faster you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I've never known a single PhD student/advisor pair who didn't butt heads. I was almost ready to quit after two years in my program. Most people I knew in grad school went through the same thing. So you're definitely not alone in that regard :). I think I relied more on perseverance and stubbornness to get me through grad school than anything else :p.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
DVNT said:
I think this describes most of us here, at least in a professional capacity.

I had a similar problem on a final exam, with no notice ahead of time, we had a question that was worth 25% of the test. Basically we had to come up with a new lawn pesticide that targets certain "weeds" but doesn't harm "grasses". I choose the route of targeting rhibosomal DNA structures. I thought I had a really slick answer until I got my test back with only 5% of the credit and a huge red circle around NEW. "there is already a pesticide out there that does this." :mumble:
How were you suppose to know that? Was it part of the assignment to research all lawn pesticides? A really good student would have been on the cell phone to a patent office.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
How were you suppose to know that? Was it part of the assignment to research all lawn pesticides? A really good student would have been on the cell phone to a patent office.

We were given no future notice of what would be on the test. I approached her afterward to ask her about the question and she said I didn't read the question correctly and walked away with the "end of discussion" attitude.

I should of changed majors after that.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
DVNT said:
We were given no future notice of what would be on the test. I approached her afterward to ask her about the question and she said I didn't read the question correctly and walked away with the "end of discussion" attitude.

I should of changed majors after that.
I would have fought for that one... gone to the dean with it or something.
I fought for a final paper grade in western civ my sophmore year in college. We were suppose to write a very detailed account about world war 1 from the perspective of anything we wanted... I chose a russian prostetute named Prositetutski. My paper was full of humerous comments from her and her "clients" but it still was perfectly accurate and complete with regard to the events... I got a fuhking D, and I fought back and ended up with a B. Turned out my viewpoint was originally deemed inappropriate by the prof because he was a pretty hard core Babtist. I blatently gave him the finger when my new grade on the paper was posted... but only after he was forced to update my final grade in the class :eviltongu

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
I would have fought for that one... gone to the dean with it or something.
I fought for a final paper grade in western civ my sophmore year in college. We were suppose to write a very detailed account about world war 1 from the perspective of anything we wanted... I chose a russian prostetute named Prositetutski. My paper was full of humerous comments from her and her "clients" but it still was perfectly accurate and complete with regard to the events... I got a fuhking D, and I fought back and ended up with a B. Turned out my viewpoint was originally deemed inappropriate by the prof because he was a pretty hard core Babtist. I blatently gave him the finger when my new grade on the paper was posted... but only after he was forced to update my final grade in the class :eviltongu

HA HAHHA That's great! Prositetutski!

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
DamienC said:
In some sense, that's a healthy feeling to have. After all, the process of getting a PhD boils down to demonstrating that you're capable of producing original work. When you get to the point of defending your dissertation, you and your work will obviously have to stand on your own. The faster you get to the point where you feel ownership of your model apart from your advisor the faster you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I've never known a single PhD student/advisor pair who didn't butt heads. I was almost ready to quit after two years in my program. Most people I knew in grad school went through the same thing. So you're definitely not alone in that regard :). I think I relied more on perseverance and stubbornness to get me through grad school than anything else :p.
You are 100% correct my friend. My problem is/was that i trusted this guy for the last year. I guess from now on i will change completely the way i work/trust with him.

With respect to the new model he gave me, i will try my best to learn more about it... i got no alternatives as to come up with something totally new just like that, since it is not my original research proposal field.