Quantcast

Am I too buff for carbon cranks?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So many have seen my pimp ride and I love it so far. But on the ride to work I have managed to bend something. It's either the crank arm, pedal, or bb. The stock setup is a Truvativ vrank set with square taper. Not high end by any means.

So looking at ebay, I see a few carbon sets with nice bb. But at 2fity (that's 250lbs for ya'll), am I too much man for carbon cranks? Should I just mount up a set of Hosfellers and call it a day?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've never ridden carbon cranks before. At least I know I can't twist them without them failing :panic:

It might just be the cheap ass pedals I bent. I'm not as smooth as I was in my 20's.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I say dump the square taper and get a shimano or FSA outboard bearing set up.

I have ridden the crap out of my FSA carbons and never had a prob
And you are what, a buck and a half? I was looking at the FSA carbons, I might have to go that route. It would defiantly be an outboard setup.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You'd be fine. I do have a pedal insert pulled from an Sworks arm here. The guy outweighs you though. Any external BB crank would be fine for you though. Find an old set of Rivals in silver.

Can't believe you already broke the new bike. Actually...I can. ;)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
SRAM Rival silver in 172.5 for $100 with GXP bb. I know, 6'4" with a 172.5? I am trying to keep my knees in check and the 175's on there now feel crazy long.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Stopped into the lbs thinking I had bent a pedal. Nope, ripped the threads out of the non drive side. Woohoo, 2 days and my first failure. Suite.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The price I pay for being so manly. And by manly I mean a fat bastard. Hence the need for a CX bike to get my ass in shape.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Stopped into the lbs thinking I had bent a pedal. Nope, ripped the threads out of the non drive side. Woohoo, 2 days and my first failure. Suite.
Hate to say it...but get used to it.

I (and my bro-in-law) was the same way with my first foray into the road/cx discipline....

First thing I bent was the front 50 tooth ring at a 25 degree angle plus torqued the crank arm. It was quite a site.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hate to say it...but get used to it.

I (and my bro-in-law) was the same way with my first foray into the road/cx discipline....

First thing I bent was the front 50 tooth ring at a 25 degree angle plus torqued the crank arm. It was quite a site.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, fatty. :D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Your not too "manly" for carbon. Don't buy 172.5, you're too tall. 175 at the min. Watch your diet, ride your ass off, and you'll lose some of that manliness. Before you know it you'll be a crack head skinny, metro roadie with shaved legs :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Your not too "manly" for carbon. Don't buy 172.5, you're too tall. 175 at the min. Watch your diet, ride your ass off, and you'll lose some of that manliness. Before you know it you'll be a crack head skinny, metro roadie with shaved legs :D
As long as I can fit into skinny jeans that show of my BVD's, I'll be happy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Would peak wattage matter more than weight in regards to force being put on the cranks?

Want. PowerTap. Now.
I'm guessing standing with the pedals flat and hitting a bump exerts more force on a crank than peak power.

Actually busting out some math a rider putting out 2000Watts of power with one leg at 100 rpm is really only pushing a pedal at the equivalent of 200lbs. The impact from a drop off of a curb would far exceed that.