Quantcast

Amazing NY Licence Plate

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This will only impress the old school roadies, but I saw a plate (my father will confirm) of:

GP4 32H

I thought it was a customized plate, but there are a lot of plates with the same numeric format. Still for all those guys who raced tubulars, this one is for you.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Glue. Yuck.

OTOH I've still got a toe strap on my saddle rails for a tubular. And I haven't used one in 20 years. :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
lovebunny said:
whats gp432h?
Mavic GP4 Tubular Rims, 32 Hole. It was the standard for Tubulars back in the day, sorta like Ksyriums or Dee-Maxs are standards today.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
lovebunny said:
tubulars? as in wheels that use tubes to inflate right? sorry im a stupid dher i dont know all these terms
Tubulars are also referred to as sew-ups, because the tubes are inside a tire casing, which is sewn up the entire inside diameter. You then glue the tire onto a rim and hope you did it right (or you will roll it at the worst possible time).

Despite the trouble mounting tires and repairing flats, tubulars are still considered to have the best rolling resistance (and I think the rims are a little lighter as well). Almost every pro team races on tubulars, and many triathletes as well.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
tubulars may roll better, but I use them because NOTHING and I mean NOTHING corners like they do. I don't mean you can turn hard, I mean you can dive into a corner at 35 miles an hour, maybe drift a little, and they will still connect when you need them to. My race wheels have scuffs on the sidewalls from being laid down so far- and I would NEVER try that with even the best clinchers. The weight is a slight improvement, and you can run them at 60-200 PSI for varying conditions. All that and the wheels used are lighter than clinchers. Well worth the effort to glue those bitches up, let me tell ya. Another sweet license plate for the old school roadie:
GEL 280