Quantcast

American education system...

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Zark said:
As a geographer and an American I'm appalled....

As one of these as well it doesn't surprise me this lack of spatial knowledge. Non-geography students in the college geography classes hadn't a clue about the States much less foreign countries.. It appeared to me that some of them would have a hard time finding their ass much less Albania..

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
PonySoldier said:
As one of these as well it doesn't surprise me this lack of spatial knowledge. Non-geography students in the college geography classes hadn't a clue about the States much less foreign countries.. It appeared to me that some of them would have a hard time finding their ass much less Albania..
"What's the capitol of New York?"
"New York City."
"Um no, what's the capitol of Florida?"
"Florida City."
"Um no, what's the capitol of Missouri?"
"Missouri City."
^^ 6th Grade geography brush up session before the test. Answers by the guy that sat next to me and basically copied off my test. I wrote down all wrong answers, he copied them real sly like :rolleyes: , then after he handed his test in, I erased every single on and put in the right ones. When we got our tests back, and he saw everyone of them wrong and everyone of mine right, he complained to the teacher that I should've gotten everyone of them wrong too cause our tests were identical....Yeah, that got him a one way trip to the principals office....ahhhh, good times, good times.:rofl: :rofl:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
PonySoldier said:
I'm appalled, not suprised:rofl:

You parents out there, tell your kid's schools you want them to know where Iran is! Or better yet take matters into your own hands and buy an atlas or two. When I was a kid I'd pour over our beat up Nat. Geo. world atlas, I think most kids would take an interest if that stuff is available.

If anyone is ever in the Portland, ME area I highly recommend going to Delorme's headquaters and seeing Eartha, the world's largest rotating globe. Its an engineering and cartographic masterpiece.:love:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Zark said:
If anyone is ever in the Portland, ME area I highly recommend going to Delorme's headquaters and seeing Eartha, the world's largest rotating globe. Its an engineering and cartographic masterpiece.:love:
That's freakin' cool as sh1t.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
SkaredShtles said:
I distinctly remember in high school a girl who couldn't find China on a world map - I was astounded that she had no idea and still to this day remember........... :think:
There are people in my Asian Studies class who couldn't identify India, Tibet, China, etc. on one of the tests. Some people are just stupid enough to not give a ****. But, the teacher called them f@cking morons so it was worth it.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The state of geography knowledge is sad when european kids can name more states than you can. I've had no problem with geography because I'm a nerd and I loved maps when I was a kid, but for other kids our World Civilizations teacher made knowing the name and location of every country a big part of the class. I thought that was pretty cool. More teachers need to do that.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I love the direction this thread went.

I still find it funny that parts jumped on me without even watching the video....no worries mate.

I will say that our education system does a piss poor job of teaching students about geography and other countries. I still find the video hilarious!

The Ito

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Just remember two things- think of how dumb the average person (or American) is...half the people are dumber than that....scary, eh? Also, nobody thinks that they are the stupid one, so take a good look in the mirror.

I think that geography mostly just comes from learning history and getting general education. Memorizing a bunch of crap on maps is boring and doesn't stick anyway. The failure isn't in geographical education, it's much broader than that. Besides, "geography" is more than memorizing or knowing where stuff is. I would venture to say that most students of geography don't concentrate on that too much.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
loco said:
They are too busy learning to drink and posting pics of it.
Cheap shot.
BeerDemon said:
You ever seen MTV? The next generation are nothing but drooling idiots.
BINGO!!!

ito said:
I will say that our education system does a piss poor job of teaching students about geography and other countries. I still find the video hilarious!

The Ito
Yes, but I know my school wasn't the best when it came to "learnin' us kids good" but I still learned alot, mainly because I wanted to. You only get out of it what you put into it.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Technically, the kid is moar correct than the teacher. Both are correct, but it asked 5x3 not 3x5 and 4x6 not 6x4.
But stupid shit like this and Trail of Tears being erased because reasons, are the reason why we are getting dumbed down. That and Warning labels.

Attachments