Quantcast

Americans less tolerant on gay issues

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have a strong case of "homoapathy", I don't care if you're gay and I don't care what you think you deserve for being gay. It seems more and more that homosexuals wear thier lifestyle as some sort of a badge and that seems to put off alot of people that otherwise wouldn't have an opinion. Especially when they try to present their sexual preference in issues that are (or should be) non-sexual by nature.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=19&u=/usatoday/5361164

Americans less tolerant on gay issues
Tue Jul 29, 6:48 AM ET

Susan Page USA TODAY

WASHINGTON -- Americans have become significantly less accepting of homosexuality since a Supreme Court decision that was hailed as clearing the way for new gay civil rights, a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll has found.

After several years of growing tolerance, the survey shows a return to a level of more traditional attitudes last seen in the mid-1990s.

Asked whether same-sex relations between consenting adults should be legal, 48% said yes; 46% said no. Before this month, support hadn't been that low since 1996.

In early May, support for legal relations reached a high of 60%, while 35% were opposed.

The shift in attitudes comes after a spate of headlines on gay issues. In recent weeks, the Supreme Court struck down a Texas anti-sodomy law, a Canadian court decision allowed gay couples to marry in Ontario, and Wal-Mart expanded anti-discrimination protection to gay workers.

Conservative social activists see a backlash to those developments and the growing visibility of gay characters in entertainment, including such TV shows as the NBC comedy Will & Grace. ''The more that the movement demands the endorsement of the law and the culture, the more resistance there will be,'' says Gary Bauer (news - web sites), president of American Values.

Bauer says that sentiment will make it harder for elected officials to avoid taking positions on such questions as a proposed constitutional amendment that would bar marriage of gay couples.

Advocates for gay men and lesbians called the poll disappointing. ''Clearly, the debate (over recent developments) has had an effect,'' said David Smith of the Human Rights Campaign. But over time, he said, ''The country always ends up on the side of fairness, and I think they will here, too.''

Those making the biggest shifts included African-Americans. On whether homosexual relations should be legal, their support fell from 58% in May to 36% in July. Among people who attend church almost every week, support fell from 61% to 49%.

The survey also found rising opposition to civil unions that would give gay couples some of the rights of married heterosexuals. They were opposed 57%-40%, the most opposition since the question was first asked in 2000.

By 49%-46%, those polled said homosexuality should not be considered ''an acceptable alternative lifestyle.'' It was the first time since 1997 that more people expressed opposition than support.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Kind of a two way street – for every ill-hatched high school in NYC there are plenty of items like Matt Drudge outing a Whitehouse critic, Michael Savage getting canned for railing off subject about a caller being a sodomite, or Pat Robertson blaming Homo’s for 9-11. Don’t have anything meaningful to say? Attack the queers.

I think the big shift in Poll numbers resulted solely from WalMart customers realizing that a homo’s may be stocking the automotive department. :eek:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
People must really care if their opinions can be changed so easerly by a few stories.

They will move on to what ever other minority is in the news next month.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I have a strong case of "homoapathy", I don't care if you're gay and I don't care what you think you deserve for being gay.
agreed and, for me, extend that just about any group. I don't care who or what you are.

Diversitapathy :p

I like diversity, just stfu about it :D

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Just curious if values became more conservative after 9/11
Yes. I for one noticed my dad becoming much more conservative....or perhaps it's complacent. Mind you, he's a firefighter and they take it like a family member dies even though they were in NY and he's in Washington. But, nevertheless...I think it the entire thing helped bring about a shift from thinking for yourself to just going along with what Bushy says...and we know how he feels about gays.:angry:

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Ayn Rand...what would you have to say about today's day and age? And our fickle populace who has such inability to actually make up their minds and stay with an issue...of course that's assuming they're willing to learn about any issue to begin with :)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Ayn Rand...what would you have to say about today's day and age? And our fickle populace who has such inability to actually make up their minds and stay with an issue...of course that's assuming they're willing to learn about any issue to begin with :)
She'd probably write another book where the main female character gets raped by the all knowing and wise capitalist and likes it.

It would be at least 1500 pages long, as well...

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
It has more to do with the "Ick Factor" than anything else. Most people don't want to think about stuff like that. So, the droning press about it forced people to go "Ick! Eeeeeeeeeeeeuw!". This was on their minds when the pollsters descended.

The Cheese

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Silver
She'd probably write another book where the main female character gets raped by the all knowing and wise capitalist and likes it.

It would be at least 1500 pages long, as well...
ahha, i am a huge ayn rand fan, but she definitely did have some weird violent-sex issues going on in her head, if the books were any indication.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I have a strong case of "homoapathy", I don't care if you're gay and I don't care what you think you deserve for being gay. It seems more and more that homosexuals wear thier lifestyle as some sort of a badge and that seems to put off alot of people that otherwise wouldn't have an opinion. Especially when they try to present their sexual preference in issues that are (or should be) non-sexual by nature.
I think this is true in areas aside from homosexuals. For example militant vegans who try to wear their veganism as a badge puts people off. Same thing with race relaions. for example Al Sharpton trying to turn everything in to a white vs. black issue. Basically i think that you don't make any friends to your cause by insulting the very group you're trying to change.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Dog Welder
I think this is true in areas aside from homosexuals. For example militant vegans who try to wear their veganism as a badge puts people off. Same thing with race relaions. for example Al Sharpton trying to turn everything in to a white vs. black issue. Basically i think that you don't make any friends to your cause by insulting the very group you're trying to change.
I agree with most of what Welder had to say. Several others voiced similar ideas.

The constant barrage of the homosexual agenda really gets on my nerves. I don't accept homosexuality (I do accept and befriend homosexuals) and I never will but there's constantly a gay issue in the media. I don't want to see gay people in every single television program on TV. I've seen enough already. That goes along with the Eeewww factor that someone else mentioned. Do what you want but I don't want to see it or hear about it.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by LordOpie
Diversitapathy :p

I like diversity, just stfu about it :D
I agree. especially with sexual issues where people feel uncomfortable with that sort of "diversity."

Does anyone else find it intersting that homos/other minorities call and strive for equality while stressing diversity?? I always thought that was pretty dumb.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by mr_dove
I agree with most of what Welder had to say. Several others voiced similar ideas.

The constant barrage of the homosexual agenda really gets on my nerves. I don't accept homosexuality (I do accept and befriend homosexuals) and I never will but there's constantly a gay issue in the media. I don't want to see gay people in every single television program on TV. I've seen enough already. That goes along with the Eeewww factor that someone else mentioned. Do what you want but I don't want to see it or hear about it.
What is the difference between that statement and someone saying that they don't want to see black people all over tv.

I'm not trolling, I swear, it's a serious question. What is the difference?

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I wouldnt want to see black people in every show either. Its not representative of the country. Blacks are less than 15% I think. It iritates me to see the token black guy that really has no place and detracts from the nature of the program, and also perpetuated further stereotypes, or is obvious at trying not to be in acordance with them.