Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I like the idea of "heating the oil-shale in place"

Who here has heard of Centralia Pennsylania?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Interesting...

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

North Dakota and Montana have an estimated 3.0 to 4.3 billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil in an area known as the Bakken Formation.

A U.S. Geological Survey assessment, released April 10, shows a 25-fold increase in the amount of oil that can be recovered compared to the agency's 1995 estimate of 151 million barrels of oil.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Let's hear it for horizontal drilling techniques!! (paired with unimaginable devastation if done even slightly wrong.)

Seriously though, the company(ies) that did the studies and such saw a huge jump in their stocks almost overnight. Where there's a will (a.k.a. mooooo-la), there's a way.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I know nothing of this "oil-shale" source. Can a stand-in N.8 post a link or if you're teh smart, give us your thoughts? Thanks.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
n8 article said:
"We've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East,"
hotdogs & felafels; they have LSC & we have shale

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Oil shale is horrible for the environment, and extremely dirty to work with.

Using wikipedia for basic background information isn't bad.

http://www.kirj.ee/public/oilshale/1_ed_page_2004_1.pdf

In 2002, about 97% of air pollution, 86% of total waste and 23% of water pollution in Estonia came from the power industry, which uses oil shale as the main resource for its power production.
It also uses a lot of water.

VBS did a documentary about the oil shale industry in Canada, if you are interested in the ramifications it has, it is worth checking out

(part 1 of 15) http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=987199110

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
oil isn't worth going for if it's exploitation is detrimental
why not?
or more specifically, where do you think a reasonable threshold/cost is?

should we care what is being done in the oil fields of the middle east? i have never given it any thought, nor will i. i'm sure it would have some intrinsic beauty in its undisturbed state, but i do not think my perception & length of enjoyment (if any) should factor in. that would be selfish. as would wanton & capricious destruction for something i would otherwise never enjoy.

not sure where the balance is, but it should always include alternatives.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
why not?

should we care what is being done in the oil fields of the middle east? i have never given it any thought, nor will i. i'm sure it would have some intrinsic beauty in its undisturbed state, but i do not think my perception & length of enjoyment (if any) should factor in. that would be selfish. as would wanton & capricious destruction for something i would otherwise never enjoy.

I'm a firm believer that property rights don't necessarily entitle the owner to doing whatever they please. For the sake of individual rights, specifically the impact of drilling on the rights of other human beings whom may have no stake in the venture... "collateral" (for lack of a better word) effects of drilling which reach out beyond the activity should be eliminated.

Shale oil is a very dirty business, and involves tons of waste. I've read that several companies are trying to develop a way to harvest the oil in the shale without going in and digging it up first, and this seems acceptable to me at least.

As for how the oild fields of the middle east effect the people of the middle east, I really have no clue. But I don't think we should be dictating the environmental policies of foreign nations, so my comments really only apply to Americans.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
why not?

The issue is that we are really bad at calculating true costs (or better put, charging true costs). Shale oil is can be extracted at a cost of ~$100/bl, but that is based on free water (diverting natural waterways), and no environmental cleanup. If we properly charge oil companies for those resources (as well as others I haven't thought of) and the cost works out to $150/bl then yes, they should be exploited under current oil prices.

I'm not of the belief that some resources are priceless, but I'm also not of the belief that any resources are free.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
...using wikipedia as a 'source'...FAIL
Oh versus the incredible accuracy of right wing blog crap you inanely and blindly post links to...riiiiight...

In that case they shouldknock down the Rockies and get a drillin'!! They're just obscuring Wyoming's view of the ocean anyway....
Shhh!! That's part of the masterplan:

Step 1 - Dig up/tear down the Rockies for "oil shale"
Step 2.1 - Sell all of the oil shale for ludicrous price
Step 2.2 - Expand on Dick Cheney's palace...err "ranch"...in Wyoming
Step 3 - Globe burns "oil shale"
Step 4.1 - "Global Warming" raises ocean levels
Step 4.2 - "Global Warming" gets rid of that pesky thing called "winter" in Wyoming
Step 4.3 - Liberals, hippies, blacks, Jews, gays, & Mexicans all die (aka everyone on the coasts or in the south) due to the ensuing rising ocean levels
Step 5 - The world is a better place

-ska todd

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
why not?

What about coal? We've done so well with it's extraction in WV. :rolleyes:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'm not of the belief that some resources are priceless, but I'm also not of the belief that any resources are free.
Going after local natural gas here in the shale deposits is becoming the thing to do but I'm not sure they're pricing the resources correctly. The use the hydraulic fracturing technique with pressurized water and sand.

local paper said:
The approved permits will allow Fortuna to draw up to 101,000 gallons a day from Catatonk Creek in the town of Spencer and up to 250,000 gallons daily from Chemung River in the town of Chemung. The permits approved for East Resources allow the company to take up to 107,000 gallons per day from Chemung River in Big Flats, and up to 214,000 gallons a day from Tioga River in Lawrence and Richmond townships. In return, the companies will have to pay the commission 14 cents for every 1,000 gallons taken from the waterways.
These are not big rivers (no idea of flow rate) but the companies do not have to recover and treat the water since there aren't any local companies capable of providing the treatment service. 14 cents/1000 gal seems like quite a bargain and incredibly short-sighted by the approving commission. The shale deposit they are all going after is supposed to contain enough natural gas to meet the national demand for 8 years.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
with today's solar, wind, and hydrogen technologies... why are we considering drilling for more oil?

I realize that an alternative energy power plant is difficult, if not impossible to meter for profit or gain... but come the fvck on already with these greedy ass politicians!

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
with today's solar, wind, and hydrogen technologies... why are we considering drilling for more oil?
Can you imagine how stupid my Escalade would look with a solar panel mounted to the roof? I am all for converting my spinners to motion turbines, as long as I can keep the high chrome shine.

And if I mount a hydrogen fuel sell in there, where would I put the 47" plasma?

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Can you imagine how stupid my Escalade would look with a solar panel mounted to the roof? I am all for converting my spinners to motion turbines, as long as I can keep the high chrome shine.

And if I mount a hydrogen fuel sell in there, where would I put the 47" plasma?
true... true...