Quantcast

amsterdam + dusseldorf - the food

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
still culling my 800 vacation photos, but selected some food-related ones for now. a few thoughts:

- european bread is *so* far superior to american bread it's sad (esp when i get home)
- sidewalk cafes rock
- open square food markets rock

some dutch mushrooms i sauteed for a pasta/chicken/basil/mushroom/sun-dried tomato/olive dish, served w/ a great bottle of Gigondas. the woman at the food stall recommended them, as i wanted something local, and they had a great almost nutty flavor:

dutch breakfast:

some small pancakes w/ loads of butter. probably the kid's favorite snack we had:

now these are sandwiches:

another mushroom stand (not where i got mine):

now onto germany...did someone say waffles?
w/ rice pudding:

with cherries (kirsch):

miles' weisse brat (he didn't like the kraut):

my schwein haxe (pig knuckle):

overall, i don't think we had a duff meal...other great meals were an indonesian dinner 1st night in a'dam (had some braised meat w/ a dark nut sauce), and a super italian meal in the restaurant directly adjacent to our apartment; fabulous risotto and an awesome poached branzino (sea bass).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, it was like a shank. once you removed the ~1/2" crust of crispy, fatty, skin, it was delicious. i've had it once in frankfurt too. they must slow cook it, then broil it at the end to get the skin crispy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
yeah, it was like a shank. once you removed the ~1/2" crust of crispy, fatty, skin, it was delicious. i've had it once in frankfurt too. they must slow cook it, then broil it at the end to get the skin crispy.
Our Norwegian friends recommended the schwein haxe when we visited Europe but the example we tried in Bavaria was less than spectacular... maybe will have to try it again when we get over there.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Wowowow! Look at those mushrooms! :) :thumbs: Thanks for the drool fest.

Oh, and as for the breads - I bought 'brother junipers' book on how to make traditional artisan style breads.
Basiscally, American breads will Never equal a european bread because Euro breads are still baked in the same stone ovens they were several hundred years ago. However, to achieve a closer approximation, when you make artisan breads at home, start adding a pair of bricks to your oven beneath your baking pans or sheet. Always add the same bricks or stone tiles and eventually your breads will start to get some of that fabulous flavor.

it also helps to have bread starters and yeasts that have been feeding on themselves for so many generations. :)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
nobody does a pancake like the dutch & damn they make some fine bordjes too.

it all looks d-lish.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the food was pretty reasonable. much cheaper than a lot of other large western european cities i've been to (london, dublin, copenhagen, stockholm, paris, zurich, etc).