Quantcast

An early season this year.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
As many of you probably don’t know – I nearly gave up biking when I was forced to actually get a job and work for a living. From September to mid January I was only getting one or two really short rides in each week. The guys I ride with maintained their fitness level while mine steadily declined. In January I was able to transfer to a permanent benefit position that pays halfway crappy but has a great schedule – alternating weeks of 4 days on 1 day off and followed by 6 days on and 3 days off. I go in at 5AM and AM off by 12:30 PM. So… that combined with our PNW draught emergency has allowed me to get the jump on the season.

I started road riding again in late January and was disgusted at my poor performance – barely managing 16 mile in one hour and way too winded while I was doing it. The weather has been great so I have been able to get out on the road 3 or 4 days a week while still getting 2 days of trail riding in. My average ride is now only about 20 miles, previously my shortest rides where 36 miles but its going to take a few more months to get back to that level.

I had decided to be conservative and rack up at least 500 base miles before I start any sort of intervals. I’m about there now so this last Monday I decided to push my limits on my usual 36 loop. I managed to average 17.14 MPH in about 2:05 and I was exhausted. This route has hills but nothing long – mostly short sprinters, last year I averaged about 18.6 for my fasted loop so I have a ways to go yet.

I am planning on doing the STP 200 mile ride this year – I want to do it in one day finishing in around 11 hours or less. To that end I put the aero bars on the Serotta and took my first 50 mile ride today. The weather was awesome; sunny and in the mid 60s. From the shipping forecast I knew that the winds would be steady 10-20 MPH from the NE. I headed out of town due north for 25 miles and turned back the same way. Needless to say coming back was much faster… About 1/3 of this ride has hills and the rest is flat. I concentrated on maintaining my spin and getting used to the aero position again. I was able to stay on the bars for about ½ the ride. Maintaining my spin rate was no problem as its become natural to me now.

I ended up doing 50.6 miles in 3:02:24 averaging 16.6.

Now I am tired.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
And you're only 14 years old? What? Maybe your profile is just wrong.

Sounds like a lot of well needed riding. :) :thumb:

I managed to maintain and increase my fitness level over this winter season (which is still dragging on) by riding everyday no matter what the weather

was like... well... not everyday, but most.

It will be fun when my other friends get back on their bikes, they'll probably have trouble keeping up with my relaxed pace. Hehe :D

Plus I have been riding my full fendered MTB with 1.95 tires (about 30 pounds probably maybe more)

Once I get back on my rode bike, with clipless, I will be flying.

I miss wearing my cycling shoes...

FreeHueco

Chimp
Nov 9, 2003
Bay Area
I'm loving this early season myself. I rode 7 days straight (I'm taking today off) for the first time in many months. Yesterday was a killer 73 mile ride. Slow, but oh so necessary. The In-n-Out at the end made it all worthwhile.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
I started road riding again in late January and was disgusted at my poor performance – barely managing 16 mile in one hour and way too winded while I was doing it.
haha! I'm riding the same pace! Oh wait, that's at your worst and my pretty good :(

I so want to do STP, but I think that's for 2006, more cuz of work.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
midg sorry to hear about the job, my condolences to you and your fam :)

good luck on the STP (what is that?)
Yeah... the job thing sucks but I guess when you stop working for extended periods the money tends to dry up. :confused:

The STP is Seattle to Portland about a 200 mile group ride over 2 days. About 5000 riders do it in 2 days and another 1500 do it in one day.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have found that trail riding does very little towards my road riding but the road riding greatly increases my trail climbing ability... on the trail I tend to rest on the downhills while on the road I push harder harder to gain the advantages of gravity.

In my defense I can still pedal 20 miles in one hour but it to has to be flat with little or no wind... :p

Today I am doing 36 miles with hills at a submaximal heart rate, I do feel like I could push things but experts agree that it is too early.

chriskaiser said:
And you're only 14 years old? What? Maybe your profile is just wrong.

Sounds like a lot of well needed riding. :) :thumb:

I managed to maintain and increase my fitness level over this winter season (which is still dragging on) by riding everyday no matter what the weather

was like... well... not everyday, but most.

It will be fun when my other friends get back on their bikes, they'll probably have trouble keeping up with my relaxed pace. Hehe :D

Plus I have been riding my full fendered MTB with 1.95 tires (about 30 pounds probably maybe more)

Once I get back on my rode bike, with clipless, I will be flying.

I miss wearing my cycling shoes...