Quantcast

An old schooler made new :)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Just out of interest, what did you pay for it and how much did you spend fixing it up? Looks like you've done a nice job mate.:thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wow, that looks awesome. Very impressive cleanup job. Those bikes look great, though I've never had the chance to ride one.

I've talked to several people who love their old ATXs though.

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
There is a guy in scotland called Ian Macintosh, he is riding one of the oldest ATX's around, it has been on the go for 6 years now. He won the expert cat at the last race of the scotish series, heres a photo of him

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
nice, you said it was "beat", but it looks to be in really good shape! Did you get it repowdercoated?

Chris A.

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
What is the i2i of that shock? Also what stroke did you use? My friend got a frame for cheap too and he doesn't have a shock. He is trying to find out what size to use. Also where did you get the bushings and what size are they? Thanks a lot.

Chris A.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I want that guy's shorts, What are they? I can't read them...he's going too fast!

The only bad I've heard about the ATX's is broken chain stays. Other than that, cool looking bikes and they are relatively light, too, aren't they? Well, atleast compared to most freeride/DH bikes?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Chris A.
What is the i2i of that shock? Also what stroke did you use? My friend got a frame for cheap too and he doesn't have a shock. He is trying to find out what size to use. Also where did you get the bushings and what size are they? Thanks a lot.

Chris A.

2000/2001 use 8,5 i2i / 2,75" stroke that you wont find stock from anyone else than RS (OEM), maybe risse could make something special order.

the older (98/99) version uses a 8"/2" or similar, its 2" stroke but not quite sure about the length.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by vitox
2000/2001 use 8,5 i2i / 2,75" stroke that you wont find stock from anyone else than RS (OEM), maybe risse could make something special order.

yeah...that sure isn't common.

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
Originally posted by - seb
Why's Ian riding one? Last time I saw him he was on a DH Team.
You aint seen him for a while then dude.
His giant was stolen (It has since been recovered and sold to one of my mates, who then cracked the frame but thats another story). He was then given a ride on the Descent-World team and rode a grossman most of last year, which was then stolen :rolleyes: :(

He is now on the Morewood team but his new bike has not yet arrived. I think this is his old bike from before the DH team, not sure though. I was in the pub with him a couple of weeks ago and he was saying he loves the ATX, all the angles are just perfect, he's not too keen on the shock though.

THRILLSEEKA, he is wearing Suga wear shorts (I know because I have a pair. I think they are something to do with Grossman (The manufacturer) not to sure though.

Back to the original dudes bike, it looks nice mate :thumb: How much have you spent on doing it up (If you dont mind me asking)

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
No before pics.....it was a scratched to hell '01 all black Comp model. I bought it with an FoxRC, but that turned out to be a 7.5" i2i and 2" stroke. Lame. So I sold that and picked up this used 6way, 8.75x2.75.
I have about $300can invested in the frame with no shock, but incl a new RF headset and the XY post....$375 for the 6way....$180 for the cranks/ring....$550 for the '03 SuperT (used)....everything else I already owned. Blue Grooves and Nevagals are on the way.
I painted it myself....about $30-40 in supplies. $20 for the decals. I used truckbed liner paint on the factory chainguide, it seems to be holding up good....and the chainguide is actually working, which I'm very happy about...I was worried it would suck.
With the rear 24" (I'd prefer a 26...but am not going to invest in new wheels yet)...with the 24 though and the factory geo specs...the front end feels exactly like my V10:D and the rear is super sweet, especially with the 6way....this bike F'in hauls:cool:

Chris A.

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
Loopie,

Do you know what the inner diameter of the mounting positions in inches or mm? Also do you know the bolt diameters if there 6mm or 8mm? Thanks a lot.

Chris A.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
That is impressive. I always liked the ATX, the few times I rode one. I'd bet with that swinger it does just go. I remember the stock shock wasn't all that great. And you definately got rid of the worse part of that bike, the gawdawful paint job. That white looks sweet. Plus you did it pretty cheap....

Have you weighted it yet?

The only suggestion would be if you had a zero offset seatpost you wouldn't have to run that boat anch... :D I mean saddle so far forward.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I loved mine when I had it. I sorta regret selling it to have it replaced by a BB7 at the time. I would of kept it if I would of known a 5th Elements fit in there. It's a pretty solid bike, little flex. I had a Mr.Dirt Gizmo on it. Worked wayyyyy better than that AC thing.

The bike uses a standard 2.75x8.75 shock, nothing strange there. If only there was a way to increase the rear travel on it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That thing fvcking rocks. I bet the Swinger keeps it pedalling pretty nicely, too... The one I once rode bobbed like hell, and I wondered if it was the setup or just the way the bike rode.

Sweet job.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Originally posted by Pow pow
You aint seen him for a while then dude.
His giant was stolen (It has since been recovered and sold to one of my mates, who then cracked the frame but thats another story). He was then given a ride on the Descent-World team and rode a grossman most of last year, which was then stolen :rolleyes: :(

He is now on the Morewood team but his new bike has not yet arrived. I think this is his old bike from before the DH team, not sure though. I was in the pub with him a couple of weeks ago and he was saying he loves the ATX, all the angles are just perfect, he's not too keen on the shock though.

Yup that is indeed the bike that had the back end completely destroyed at Ft.Bill a few seasons ago!!

There was more to the descent-world thing than that though...........remember back to Alvie (nasty)

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
Yep I remember alvie alright.

For those of you that dont know he ripped the headtube off a morewood on a 5ish foot drop at one of the fastest points of the track, not very nice at all.

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
Originally posted by Chris A.
Loopie,

Do you know what the inner diameter of the mounting positions in inches or mm? Also do you know the bolt diameters if there 6mm or 8mm? Thanks a lot.

Chris A.
50x8 for the upper shock mount and the lower is 6mm X about 20? Don't be afraid to use a file;)

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
The bike uses a standard 2.75x8.75 shock, nothing strange there. If only there was a way to increase the rear travel on it.
The factory shock fitment is actually 8.5x2.75...which isn't a common size.
I'm using an 8.75x2.75 though with no problems....there's about an 1/8" that needs to be compressed to fit the shock and of course the swing arm just "stops" against the BB shell....but it a none issue.

I am wondering however if this affects the settings for the "initial" part of the shock...as I think the pedalling could be better, there's still bobbing even though the settings are a good "average"....I've only had the bike out twice but will start messing with it:D